Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Phone Cradle- worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Apr 22 2005, 12:23 AM
I have Verizon also and I went the non-bt route since I want my phone to charge in the car anyways I might as well have it in the cradle. As for the BT hack, ask Paris Hilton. Her PDA/Phone was hacked with the BT security flaws. Granted we are not as famous/infamous as she is but I can understand Verizon's position. Who get's sued if various personal info is obtained? Verizon.
[snapback]118454[/snapback]
Hold on... before everyone goes BT bashing... Paris Hilton's issue gave BT a bad name thanks to the schmucks at CNN and their ill brethren who like to run stories when they have 5% of the facts available. Er... facts... what are those???

In Paris' case, the servers were hacked, not her device itself. Her data was stored on T-Mobiles servers.

If you're using a V600, V710, etc., this is a non-issue.

Most security flaws in BT phones are similar to security flaws in Windows or any other network capable software. How many people have their home network setup with the domain name of "WORKGROUP"? 50%? That kind of problem leads to most successful hacks. Nowadays Phishing and social engineering is most of the other 50%.

Yes, there are vulnerabilites unique to BT, but they can be controlled relatively easily on both the PAN (Personal Area Network) and WAN (Wide Area Network - or in this case the wireless carrier).

Besides, no offense but do you think anyone else cares about your phone book? [Maybe you have reason to think so! Perhaps you are someone famous - good for you if you are. ] In my case I'm not. If you'd like to hack my cell phone book please help yourself. I'm sure you'd find it quite boring.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Road Runner' date='Apr 21 2005, 08:19 PM
Even with Verizon's latest software update you still won't have BT in the car.? Verizon is still instructing Motorola to delete 2 chunks of software in the Verizon branded phones (I think their new motto is, "We never stop working harder... [to rip you off]."

Verizon claims that the BT protocols in Motorolas allow users to bypass some of Verizon's network security and share MP3 and Pics with other BT phone users (over the network) without paying airtime charges.? VZ sees this as a revenue leakage problem.? I have not tried this, but Verizon obviously takes it seriously.? What I want to know is, how many people exactly give a hoot about doing this or have done so?? I'll bet it's close to zero (if not zero).? How many people do you know who even have a BT phone and use Verizon... I know... let's see.. umm.. one!? Me.

That may explain why there is a class-action lawsuit against Verizon claiming they are discriminating against BT phone users - who very often have shelled out $200 - $300 for a phone (even after the latest pick-your-discount-du-jour phone offer).? Last I heard neither side is budging so this looks destined for Judge Wopner.

The V710 is a great phone, and - I hate to admit this - but Verizon is the best carrier (at least in the mid-Atlantic region) for signal strength at least and probably call clarity.?

Personally, I prefer the V600 - it's smaller and more flexible in terms of personalization.? Problem for me is that GSM sucks for most people in the U.S. (I was using T-Mobile).? Unless you live in a highly dense urban area, it sucks.? I live just outside of Washington DC, so I thought that would count, but I have travelled on the interstate near my house for miles with 1 bar or less.? Ridiculous.? No wonder T-Mobile gets such low customer ratings.

At any rate, my advice is if you want this phone + Verizon + BT in your E60, buy the phone and hack it to get the BT functions to work.? Search on Google or Alexa.? Some of the files are tough to locate.?

If anyone wants some hints, PM me.??
[snapback]118453[/snapback]
So what you are saying is that you cannot get your V710 firmware flashed at a Verizon store so that it pairs with the E60. It has to be a "super Dave" or other such flash that you download?

I was a long time verizon customer who got fed up and switched to Cingular so that I could get a BT phone. I used to use the V710. Several members here were more patient than I and are happy V710 BT with E60 users. i think some of them got their phones upgarded by Verizon.

The class action suite has softened VZW somewhat over the V710 debacle. They may have still kept a couple of stacks out the BT, but none that will stop the handsfree pairing in cars with BT.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:09 PM
Members

Well, I get the impression that the cradle is probably not worth the $$$$; Plugging the phone in handles the charging, and there doesn't seem to be a clear advantage in reception. You're also basically stuck with the phone that fits the particular cradle. The V600 is pretty cheap these days, and you can wait for the latest/greatest to come down in price (especially with a GSM phone).

Thanks all!
Old 04-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Members

Well a year ago in the uk when I got my cradle about 2 months after the car i noticed a big improvement in reception. Possibly just the area I'm in but i was getting cut outs a lot without cradle, now no problems at all.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 22 2005, 01:18 AM
So what you are saying is that you cannot get your V710 firmware flashed at a Verizon store so that it pairs with the E60.? It has to be a "super Dave" or other such flash that you download?

I was a long time verizon customer who got fed up and switched to Cingular so that I could get a? BT phone.? I used to use the V710.? Several members here were more patient than I and are happy V710 BT with E60 users.? i think some of them got their phones upgarded by Verizon.

The class action suite has softened VZW somewhat over the V710 debacle.? They may have still kept a couple of stacks out the BT,? but none that will stop the handsfree pairing in cars with BT.
[snapback]118471[/snapback]
Hormazd,

Yes, point taken. I do believe the latest firmware (released about a month or so ago) may allow BT pairing. The previous software versions wouldn't allow you to do squat.

However, my main issue - which I should have clarified in my original post on this thread - is that you still don't get the other BT functions that make the whole thing truly useful - namely syncing your address book, logging received/missed calls, etc. For those features, I am confident that yes you do need to hack your phone.

I suspect that VZ added pairing just so they would not also get sued for violation of truth-in-advertising (tho maybe that is what the suit says - I have not researched it that much, I just voted with my wallet and took my business elsewhere).

Like you, I was a long time VZ customer and I switched to T-Mobile to get BT in my E60. I had prior poor experiences with Cingular and Sprint so I steered clear of them. This pretty much left me with T-Mobile.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Apr 21 2005, 12:23 PM
[quote name='poleposition' date='Apr 21 2005, 11:19 AM']Sorry, that was me....

I have the V600 and I had the cradle installed.? It works flawlessly and I definitely notice an improvement in reception.? Not that it was so bad before but known dead spots just don't exist any longer.? My only issue, is that when i turn the car off, it still charges the phone and the phone stays on.? The power they tap into stays on whether the car is on or off.? If you're parked for the night and you don't take you're phone in the house with you, the phone will stay on and continue to charge.? Not only do I have to shut the phone but I also have to remove it from the cradle when I get home since I leave my cell in the car.? Minor issue but I'll deal considering all of the positives.
[snapback]118132[/snapback]
E63 is switched off with key removed. It may also be off in position 1, I just have not checked that yet. Same adapter that u use, but could be different implementation based on BMW model or build date, my details in signature.
[snapback]118146[/snapback]
[/quote]
Update on my last statement concerning power to cradle.

Spent some time last night and this morning checking power. Power stays to my cradle with key removed for approximately 10 minutes. In those checks (three times) I opened the arm rest so I could see phone. Removed key and phone still indicated charging. 1st time I remained in car and about 10 minutes later the display went out on phone. I reinserted key, no power, turned to position 1 power returned and phone started charging. 2nd and 3rd tries were conducted by leaving arm rest up, removing key and exiting car. Came back at 5 minutes, and looked in car (did not open door) - phone still charging. Came back at 8 minutes (did not open door) - phone still charging. Came back at 10 minutes - phone quit charging. came out in the morning, phone not charging, opened door, and phone started charging before key inserted.

Now all this leads to me to believe that 1) the charger is controlled by the "sleep" mode of the E60/E63 electronics and 2) the SB that Rudy posted is correct when it states " Pin Assignment - Terminal 30g: power supply, active (run-on time / cutoff by CAS, Car Access System)" And further excerpts from this SB under Power Supply state "The power supply generates the operating voltage for the ULF control unit from the on-board supply voltage. The vehicle voltage is fed in via the activated terminal 30g. When the ignition lock is in position 0 (vehicle at rest), terminal 30g is deactivated by the CAS (Car Access System) according to defined priorities. This deactivation ensures that the battery remains able to start the vehicle."

In a related comment contained in this SB is the following:

"Note: Making a call when the vehicle is at rest.

A call that is already in progress can be continued with the hands-free system for up to 25 minutes after the ignition is swithced off (ignition switch 0)

The Telephone functions may be cut off earlier if the car battery reaches the limit of its starting capability. To make sure that the battery remains capable of starting the engine the CAS (car access system)) will cause the battery voltage to be cut off via terminal 30g."

On another matter, if even after using a properly installed snap in adapter (cradle) you found u still had some low or poor reception conditions there is an optional compensator that compensates for antenna line losses and therefore would provide additional signal for those that need it. Personally, I have enough signal improvement that I do not believe I?ll need to go that far

Hopes this helps carify the power/charging issues.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

Thanks cobradav, you have done geat work in fielding your findings and it is very informative Such details cannot be found in any manual from BMW
Old 04-22-2005, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Road Runner' date='Apr 22 2005, 04:52 AM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 22 2005, 01:18 AM']So what you are saying is that you cannot get your V710 firmware flashed at a Verizon store so that it pairs with the E60.?? It has to be a "super Dave" or other such flash that you download?

I was a long time verizon customer who got fed up and switched to Cingular so that I could get a? BT phone.?? I used to use the V710.?? Several members here were more patient than I and are happy V710 BT with E60 users.? i think some of them got their phones upgarded by Verizon.

The class action suite has softened VZW somewhat over the V710 debacle.?? They may have still kept a couple of stacks out the BT,? but none that will stop the handsfree pairing in cars with BT.
Hormazd,

Yes, point taken. I do believe the latest firmware (released about a month or so ago) may allow BT pairing. The previous software versions wouldn't allow you to do squat.

However, my main issue - which I should have clarified in my original post on this thread - is that you still don't get the other BT functions that make the whole thing truly useful - namely syncing your address book, logging received/missed calls, etc. For those features, I am confident that yes you do need to hack your phone.

I suspect that VZ added pairing just so they would not also get sued for violation of truth-in-advertising (tho maybe that is what the suit says - I have not researched it that much, I just voted with my wallet and took my business elsewhere).

Like you, I was a long time VZ customer and I switched to T-Mobile to get BT in my E60. I had prior poor experiences with Cingular and Sprint so I steered clear of them. This pretty much left me with T-Mobile.
[snapback]118619[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks, if you right then I am glad I switched. The address book on every V710 user on this forum transfers to the car. I have sat in the car with wnrussell and watched his fly over in seconds.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Road Runner' date='Apr 22 2005, 07:52 AM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 22 2005, 01:18 AM']So what you are saying is that you cannot get your V710 firmware flashed at a Verizon store so that it pairs with the E60.?? It has to be a "super Dave" or other such flash that you download?

I was a long time verizon customer who got fed up and switched to Cingular so that I could get a? BT phone.?? I used to use the V710.?? Several members here were more patient than I and are happy V710 BT with E60 users.? i think some of them got their phones upgarded by Verizon.

The class action suite has softened VZW somewhat over the V710 debacle.?? They may have still kept a couple of stacks out the BT,? but none that will stop the handsfree pairing in cars with BT.
Hormazd,

[/quote]

RR,

Not sure where you got your information, but I have a pre-Mar 2004 E60 (Sep 2003), a Verizon V710 phone (a phone straight from the store with no hacks or Super Dave or nothing) - had the TCU changed and now BT works flawlessly - my phone syncs with the car within a few seconds of starting the car - the phonebook is transferred - and there is even a little cell phone icon on the display that appears when the sync has taken place.

This forum provided me with quite a lot of information that i armed myself with - some of it the dealer was unaware of.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by weslj' date='May 4 2005, 05:13 PM
[quote name='Road Runner' date='Apr 22 2005, 07:52 AM'][quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 22 2005, 01:18 AM']So what you are saying is that you cannot get your V710 firmware flashed at a Verizon store so that it pairs with the E60.? It has to be a "super Dave" or other such flash that you download?

I was a long time verizon customer who got fed up and switched to Cingular so that I could get a? BT phone.? I used to use the V710.? Several members here were more patient than I and are happy V710 BT with E60 users.? i think some of them got their phones upgarded by Verizon.

The class action suite has softened VZW somewhat over the V710 debacle.? They may have still kept a couple of stacks out the BT,? but none that will stop the handsfree pairing in cars with BT.
Hormazd,

[/quote]

RR,

Not sure where you got your information, but I have a pre-Mar 2004 E60 (Sep 2003), a Verizon V710 phone (a phone straight from the store with no hacks or Super Dave or nothing) - had the TCU changed and now BT works flawlessly - my phone syncs with the car within a few seconds of starting the car - the phonebook is transferred - and there is even a little cell phone icon on the display that appears when the sync has taken place.

This forum provided me with quite a lot of information that i armed myself with - some of it the dealer was unaware of.
[snapback]124037[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ah... in that case it sounds like they did update the software. Cool. Perhaps I just had a bum phone. I ordered it from Amazon - who knows how long it was sitting in a fulfillment center somewhere.

I tried my phone when I got it - nada - no BT until after I upgraded the software and used the hack. Perhaps just upgrading the software would have been enuff.

Thanks for the additional info tho.

Quick Reply: Phone Cradle- worth it?