Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Phone Cradle- worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by noonehome' date='Apr 21 2005, 12:59 PM
[quote name='poleposition' date='Apr 21 2005, 11:19 AM']Sorry, that was me....

I have the V600 and I had the cradle installed.? It works flawlessly and I definitely notice an improvement in reception.? Not that it was so bad before but known dead spots just don't exist any longer.? My only issue, is that when i turn the car off, it still charges the phone and the phone stays on.? The power they tap into stays on whether the car is on or off.? If you're parked for the night and you don't take you're phone in the house with you, the phone will stay on and continue to charge.? Not only do I have to shut the phone but I also have to remove it from the cradle when I get home since I leave my cell in the car.? Minor issue but I'll deal considering all of the positives.
[snapback]118132[/snapback]
Idon't think this is entirly true. I believe all power in the e60 is switched, meaning it doe not stay on after key is removed or car goes to sleep.

I did some testing with a multi-meter on the connection the cradel plugs into behind the rear seat power sockets and could not find any power unless the key was on. If what you said was correct It might be worth it for me to get a cradle as I can not keep the phone charged just with the time the car is running (90% of time the car is only drive 30 total for the day)
[snapback]118143[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh it is very true. So true in fact that I was concerned at first so much so that I went back to the dealer to see if they can make that kit turn off when I turn the car off but they can't. Thus the reason I have to remove the phone from the cradle so as not to drain the battery overnight.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by poleposition' date='Apr 21 2005, 12:44 PM
[quote name='noonehome' date='Apr 21 2005, 12:59 PM'][quote name='poleposition' date='Apr 21 2005, 11:19 AM']Sorry, that was me....

I have the V600 and I had the cradle installed.? It works flawlessly and I definitely notice an improvement in reception.? Not that it was so bad before but known dead spots just don't exist any longer.? My only issue, is that when i turn the car off, it still charges the phone and the phone stays on.? The power they tap into stays on whether the car is on or off.? If you're parked for the night and you don't take you're phone in the house with you, the phone will stay on and continue to charge.? Not only do I have to shut the phone but I also have to remove it from the cradle when I get home since I leave my cell in the car.? Minor issue but I'll deal considering all of the positives.
[snapback]118132[/snapback]
Idon't think this is entirly true. I believe all power in the e60 is switched, meaning it doe not stay on after key is removed or car goes to sleep.

I did some testing with a multi-meter on the connection the cradel plugs into behind the rear seat power sockets and could not find any power unless the key was on. If what you said was correct It might be worth it for me to get a cradle as I can not keep the phone charged just with the time the car is running (90% of time the car is only drive 30 total for the day)
[snapback]118143[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh it is very true. So true in fact that I was concerned at first so much so that I went back to the dealer to see if they can make that kit turn off when I turn the car off but they can't. Thus the reason I have to remove the phone from the cradle so as not to drain the battery overnight.
[snapback]118156[/snapback]
[/quote]

Interesting! Maybe a difference between 04 and 05 or possibly a SW version issue.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:12 PM
JMB
Members

IMHO there are three reasons for using the cradle:

1) Charging the phone. Useful if you do long trips. That's what we bimmers like, right? <_<

2) Increasing signal reception. Useful if you drive in low reception areas, like mountainous lands

3) A mobile phone is obviously a radio emitter in a very high frequency (900 to 1900 MHz). The magnetic fields generated 'could' interfere electronic equipment in the car. (This is the reason why mobiles are not allowed in airplanes). If the mobile is plugged to the cradle, waves are conducted thru the cable to the finn antenna (internal mobile antenna is disconnected), thus reducing the probability of interferences with the multiple electronic devices in the car.

Maybe some car "flaws" are created by this kind of interferences. I still don't have my car, so I don't have the manual; but I'm pretty sure a note telling something similar can be found there...

I hope my comment is "understandable"... you know, my english...

BTW, in Spain we like E60s, we like a lot 545s, and we like even more M5s...
Its just that they are expensive; petrol is very expensive; taxes are high... salaries mmmmm.... :'( In France too!

My car will arrive next Thursday. I can't wait....
Old 04-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Senior Members

I actually prefer the cradle and my non BT phone. I was contemplating both and went with the non BT option. The reception improves from 2 bars to 5 bars at my house so the reception is improved by quite a bit. Also I like that my phone is ALWAYS charged. Just my 2 cents worth. I know I am in the minority.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:08 PM
maril555

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Apr 21 2005, 06:23 PM
I actually prefer the cradle and my non BT phone. I was contemplating both and went with the non BT option. The reception improves from 2 bars to 5 bars at my house so the reception is improved by quite a bit. Also I like that my phone is ALWAYS charged.? Just my 2 cents worth. I know I am in the minority.
[snapback]118309[/snapback]
Old 04-21-2005, 04:11 PM
maril555

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Apr 21 2005, 06:23 PM
I actually prefer the cradle and my non BT phone. I was contemplating both and went with the non BT option. The reception improves from 2 bars to 5 bars at my house so the reception is improved by quite a bit. Also I like that my phone is ALWAYS charged.? Just my 2 cents worth. I know I am in the minority.
Where do you buy a cradle, and how much does it cost (Motorola V551)? My dealer quoted me $500 installed, So he did for wooden gear shift knob $250. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by maril555' date='Apr 21 2005, 07:11 PM
[quote name='skipper' date='Apr 21 2005, 06:23 PM']I actually prefer the cradle and my non BT phone. I was contemplating both and went with the non BT option. The reception improves from 2 bars to 5 bars at my house so the reception is improved by quite a bit. Also I like that my phone is ALWAYS charged.? Just my 2 cents worth. I know I am in the minority.
Where do you buy a cradle, and how much does it cost (Motorola V551)? My dealer quoted me $500 installed, So he did for wooden gear shift knob $250. Thanks.
[snapback]118328[/snapback]
[/quote]

WHAT!!!!!???? I got my wooden gear shift knob for $130 at Circle BMW (my dealer) and installed it myself. Took 8 seconds including opening the box that it comes in. Put car in N (even with steptronic) and pull it up. How the hell could they charge you $250?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

If you really want the cradle, why not buy a new or used CPT9000. Btw,I happen to have 1 4 sale (Sprint). PM me if interested.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 21 2005, 12:13 PM
[quote name='ericdbs' date='Apr 21 2005, 07:49 AM']thanx guys.... stumbled on this post by chance.... i was debating the same.... im going to purchase a bt phone today... v710 from verizon... been happy with them ,, with the v60 good recept. when i traven... so im hoping this phone would be good........ man i love this forum
[snapback]118095[/snapback]
Make sure they give you a firmware update on the V710 before you leave the store. No E60 compatibility without it.
[snapback]118103[/snapback]
[/quote]

Even with Verizon's latest software update you still won't have BT in the car. Verizon is still instructing Motorola to delete 2 chunks of software in the Verizon branded phones (I think their new motto is, "We never stop working harder... [to rip you off]."

Verizon claims that the BT protocols in Motorolas allow users to bypass some of Verizon's network security and share MP3 and Pics with other BT phone users (over the network) without paying airtime charges. VZ sees this as a revenue leakage problem. I have not tried this, but Verizon obviously takes it seriously. What I want to know is, how many people exactly give a hoot about doing this or have done so? I'll bet it's close to zero (if not zero). How many people do you know who even have a BT phone and use Verizon... I know... let's see.. umm.. one! Me.

That may explain why there is a class-action lawsuit against Verizon claiming they are discriminating against BT phone users - who very often have shelled out $200 - $300 for a phone (even after the latest pick-your-discount-du-jour phone offer). Last I heard neither side is budging so this looks destined for Judge Wopner.

The V710 is a great phone, and - I hate to admit this - but Verizon is the best carrier (at least in the mid-Atlantic region) for signal strength at least and probably call clarity.

Personally, I prefer the V600 - it's smaller and more flexible in terms of personalization. Problem for me is that GSM sucks for most people in the U.S. (I was using T-Mobile). Unless you live in a highly dense urban area, it sucks. I live just outside of Washington DC, so I thought that would count, but I have travelled on the interstate near my house for miles with 1 bar or less. Ridiculous. No wonder T-Mobile gets such low customer ratings.

At any rate, my advice is if you want this phone + Verizon + BT in your E60, buy the phone and hack it to get the BT functions to work. Search on Google or Alexa. Some of the files are tough to locate.

If anyone wants some hints, PM me.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Road Runner' date='Apr 21 2005, 11:19 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 21 2005, 12:13 PM'][quote name='ericdbs' date='Apr 21 2005, 07:49 AM']thanx guys.... stumbled on this post by chance.... i was debating the same.... im going to purchase a bt phone today... v710 from verizon... been happy with them ,, with the v60 good recept. when i traven... so im hoping this phone would be good........ man i love this forum
[snapback]118095[/snapback]
Make sure they give you a firmware update on the V710 before you leave the store. No E60 compatibility without it.
[snapback]118103[/snapback]
[/quote]

Even with Verizon's latest software update you still won't have BT in the car. Verizon is still instructing Motorola to delete 2 chunks of software in the Verizon branded phones (I think their new motto is, "We never stop working harder... [to rip you off]."

Verizon claims that the BT protocols in Motorolas allow users to bypass some of Verizon's network security and share MP3 and Pics with other BT phone users (over the network) without paying airtime charges. VZ sees this as a revenue leakage problem. I have not tried this, but Verizon obviously takes it seriously. What I want to know is, how many people exactly give a hoot about doing this or have done so? I'll bet it's close to zero (if not zero). How many people do you know who even have a BT phone and use Verizon... I know... let's see.. umm.. one! Me.

That may explain why there is a class-action lawsuit against Verizon claiming they are discriminating against BT phone users - who very often have shelled out $200 - $300 for a phone (even after the latest pick-your-discount-du-jour phone offer). Last I heard neither side is budging so this looks destined for Judge Wapner.

The V710 is a great phone, and - I hate to admit this - but Verizon is the best carrier (at least in the mid-Atlantic region) for signal strength at least and probably call clarity.

At any rate, my advice is if you want this phone + Verizon + BT in your E60, buy the phone and hack it to get the BT functions to work. Search on Google or Alexa. Some of the files are tough to locate. If anyone wants some hints, PM me.
[snapback]118453[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have Verizon also and I went the non-bt route since I want my phone to charge in the car anyways I might as well have it in the cradle. As for the BT hack, ask Paris Hilton. Her PDA/Phone was hacked with the BT security flaws. Granted we are not as famous/infamous as she is but I can understand Verizon's position. Who get's sued if various personal info is obtained? Verizon.

Quick Reply: Phone Cradle- worth it?