Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Phone Book Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: UK 2006 530D MSport. Auto, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Visibility, Media Pack, Sun Protective Glass, Hi-Fi Speaker System, Heated Seats, Enhanced voice control, M Lip Spoiler.

From the signature you'll see I have a MY06 with Media Pack. I have a K750i phone paired and working fine. My question is, is there a synchronise option? If I add or delete contacts in my phone do I need to uninstall all contacts and the re-install to update as the dealer did when I collected the car..?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2006, 03:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by spareone3' post='218943' date='Jan 4 2006, 03:42 AM
From the signature you'll see I have a MY06 with Media Pack. I have a K750i phone paired and working fine. My question is, is there a synchronise option? If I add or delete contacts in my phone do I need to uninstall all contacts and the re-install to update as the dealer did when I collected the car..?

Thanks
You should not have to do anything. Each time that you enter your car with your Cell phone, a connection is made from your cars bluetooth to your Cell phone bluetooth. Any new entries or deletions that you have made to your phones contact list will be reflected in your car once the connection between the 2 devices is made. If you make a change to your phone book while in your car, the change will probably not show up in your cars bluetooth until the next time that the connection is made. Very much like a computer wherein with some changes you have to reboot your PC for the change to take effect. Nothing is stored in your cars I-Drive, rather it is all stored in your cell phone and your cars bluetooth simply reads your Cell phones contact list which is done each time you enter your car and of course both devices must be turned on.

What your dealer did when you picked up your car was a one time thing. He paired your particular Cell phone to your cars bluetooth. This should not have to be done again unless for some reason something happens and the pairing disappears. You do not have to take it back to the dealer, it is very easy to pair your phone should it become disconnected for any reason.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Members

My Ride: UK 2006 530D MSport. Auto, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Visibility, Media Pack, Sun Protective Glass, Hi-Fi Speaker System, Heated Seats, Enhanced voice control, M Lip Spoiler.

Thanks for the reply. The only thing that made me suspect that the contacts were kept locally in the car was that once initially paired the synchronisation of phone book took 3 or 4 minutes the first time at the dealers. I have over 400 contacts so expected it to take a while. Since then my contact list is complete as soon as I start the car, which I assumed wass now stored within the car. So if it actually does as you suggest and always uses the phone list why is the list avialable instantly? I am not disputing your reply, just still a little confused..? Easiest thing is for me to add a contact to the phone and see what happens I guess!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

I think the list is available quickly because the list is within the car stored under the phone details in bluetooth. When you connect the phone again, the car quickly checks for any changes and makes them. If it originally took 4 minutes to load 400 names, then it should be able to process 1.7 names per second. If you're only adding or subtracting the odd one, that's why it seems almost instantaneous.

I just wish I could show multiple numbers per name entry !
Old 01-06-2006, 03:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by Boxsterfeet' post='219885' date='Jan 6 2006, 03:17 AM
I think the list is available quickly because the list is within the car stored under the phone details in bluetooth. When you connect the phone again, the car quickly checks for any changes and makes them. If it originally took 4 minutes to load 400 names, then it should be able to process 1.7 names per second. If you're only adding or subtracting the odd one, that's why it seems almost instantaneous.

I just wish I could show multiple numbers per name entry !
My car shows multiple numbers per entry, on my Moto E815, I can program 3 or 4 or numbers per contact, in I-drive the name will show up three times with appropriate number beside name, the only thing it does not show on I-Drive screen is which number is home,mobile,office. For most of my contacts I know which is which, for those that I cannot remember, I just enter a seperate contact for each number and when I program in the name, I enter, Cell,Office,home beside the name.. works well for me.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

sounds like it works awesome!
Old 01-06-2006, 04:02 AM
Members

OK sounds good.. I will say that I can have multiple entries on my K750i (i.e Home Work, Mobile). This when paired with the car gives me actual mutliple name entry for that contact with a (H)(W)or (M) suffix for each number.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:33 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spareone3' post='219959' date='Jan 6 2006, 08:02 AM
OK sounds good.. I will say that I can have multiple entries on my K750i (i.e Home Work, Mobile). This when paired with the car gives me actual mutliple name entry for that contact with a (H)(W)or (M) suffix for each number.

The Phonebook feature in the car is not smart yet to put a H, W or M for a contact. All it does is suffixes the name of the contact with an incremental number like (Contact name 'Alpha' in your phone with 3 numbers will show as Alpha1, Alpha2, Alpha3 in the car). Its kind of difficult to determine which number is stored in which contact name when you scan the addressbook in the car.

Just like many others, I ended up reorganizing my complete Address book in my phone and have started storing the contacts individually for every number type. So, now my phone addressbook is created as Alpha H, Alpha M and Alpha C. Please note there is only one number assigned to every contact. When it syncs with the car, the entries are now more user friendly.