Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Operator error in pairing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Alright, I have no idea what I did but on a lark, took the first key back out to the car after putting the kids to bed. Sure enough, fire up the car and go to Communications and it starts looking for my phone to pair. Don't know what has changed but seems to be working with both keys now. I don't know what I was doing wrong, followed the same procedure w/ both keys, one would not allow pairing, other paired right away. Now I go back with the key that would not allow pairing and it starts searching for the phone. Oh well, as long as it is working...
Old 11-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Good to hear...
Old 11-09-2007, 04:36 AM
Contributors

Well this morning I go to the car for my drive for work, hoping the phone will just pair up, no luck. Finally go thru the steps again and it seems to pair but won't load my phone book. I give up! Maybe it's my Samsung phone and I should switch to a Razor or one of the "approved" phones...
Old 11-09-2007, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

How long did you wait for the phonebook to load? As I'm betting you already know, it can take some time the first time.

You may be right about your phone but I'm betting you can find out from others here if you post the model number...
Old 11-09-2007, 05:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='492145' date='Nov 9 2007, 07:50 AM
How long did you wait for the phonebook to load? As I'm betting you already know, it can take some time the first time.

You may be right about your phone but I'm betting you can find out from others here if you post the model number...
The phone is a Samsung A900. It took the entire drive to the office which is a little over ten minutes. I'll try again later this afternoon but when I paired last night it only took a minute or two to load the phone book. I'm not that popular and only have 15 or so numbers stored in the phone! I guess what I really don't get is why it won't pair up automatically when I start the car.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='492158' date='Nov 9 2007, 09:10 AM
The phone is a Samsung A900. It took the entire drive to the office which is a little over ten minutes. I'll try again later this afternoon but when I paired last night it only took a minute or two to load the phone book. I'm not that popular and only have 15 or so numbers stored in the phone! I guess what I really don't get is why it won't pair up automatically when I start the car.
There's usually a setting on the phone that allows for an automatic "re-pairing" of previously paired devices. I don't know much about the A900 but after glancing at the user manual here I can't seem to find anything that looks like that setting. The only thing that might be set wrong is the phone's "visibility" on page 186.

After that, I'm not sure what else to say...
Old 11-09-2007, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='492172' date='Nov 9 2007, 08:52 AM
There's usually a setting on the phone that allows for an automatic "re-pairing" of previously paired devices. I don't know much about the A900 but after glancing at the user manual here I can't seem to find anything that looks like that setting. The only thing that might be set wrong is the phone's "visibility" on page 186.

After that, I'm not sure what else to say...
Thanks for the help, I did actually RTFM! I have the "visibilty" always on, hoping it would pair up automatically, doesn't seem to do the trick. I really need to take some time this afternoon or tomorrow and play some more. For the past week, I have been unable to pair using the key I had with me, but when I tried the second key last night it paired right away. Then I went back with the first key and it started searching for my phone. Last piece of the puzzle, go out this morning with key that let me pair last night and nothing. Looks like I may be buying a new phone...
Old 11-09-2007, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

ks, I just put A900 into the forum's search box (not Google) and came up with a bunch of posts. It seems as if some people have had success with the phone and some have not. I wonder if there is a newer firmware version of the phone that you can upgrade to allow things to work better?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Contributors

Well, I finally have the A900 phone paired and working correctly. There is an option under Tools to "Update Phone Software". I did this and re-paired the phone. Now works as advertised, automatically re-pairs when I start the car and loads up phone book perfectly. Just saved a couple of hundred bucks that I was expecting to spend on a new phone to get the handsfree working... Don't know why I didn't see or notice this option earlier? Guess I was so focused on the Bluetooth settings. Rudy, you even brought up the idea of what version of the firmware I was running. Oh well, all's well that end's well...

Edit: The Update Software option is actually under the Settings Menu, not Tools. Sorry for the bad memory...
Old 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

So you're saying you were able to update the phone's firmware over the cellular network? That's pretty cool -- I didn't know that was something anyone was doing.

Glad to hear you're up and running now...

Quick Reply: Operator error in pairing?