Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Operator error in pairing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007 | 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

picked up the new car last weekend, sales guy helped me pair my phone. Worked like a charm, downloaded phone book, everything. Now I can't get the darn thing to pair again. What am I doing wrong? Per the manual, I go into iDrive, hit the phone settings menu where it shows no previous devices paired. So I select Pair a new phone. It says pairing and I then tell my phone to search. It finds the cars, shows it then menu and asks if I'd like to Add to List (Samsung phone). I say yes and it asks passkey, which I enter. The phone responds "Pairing Failed". Any ideas before I go back to the dealer where I'll likely be shown how easy it is only to have it work prefectly for the service guy! I know I'm entering the correct passkey, we used "0000" at delivery.

My concern, and I'll have to check when I get home, is that my sales guy, super nice but not the brightest, did not put a key in the ignition when we paired. In fact both keys were with me in the car so maybe my phone somehow got associated with the other key. Will try the spare key when I get home this afternoon. Is it possible that if the phone is somehow associated with one key, it won't let me pair using the other? I have deleted the car from the device list in the phone and started from scratch, but same result as above, "Pairing Failed"...
Old 11-08-2007 | 02:50 PM
Contributors

OK, tried the other key and the phone paired as it should. Does anyone know if this is normal? Does a phone/bluetooth device get associated with only one key and therefore get blocked in some way by the car when the other key is used? I'll ask the dealer but based on past experience, I know I have a better chance of getting an accurate answer here!
Old 11-08-2007 | 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Gee, I never thought about seeing if the second key maintains a separate list of paired phones. If so, I have to believe that you can pair the same phone again using that key.

Are you entering the passcode on both the phone and on the car? From your post above, it sounds like you're only entering the passcode on the phone. There is no "correct" passcode for the car, you pick anything you want as long as they phone and the car have the same one entered (sometimes one device has a fixed code but in the case of the car, it can be anything...)

Does that help?

Did you see the pairing video yet? Take a look here:
http://www.wireless4bmw.com/videos.html
Old 11-08-2007 | 03:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='491919' date='Nov 8 2007, 06:10 PM
Are you entering the passcode on both the phone and on the car? From your post above, it sounds like you're only entering the passcode on the phone. There is no "correct" passcode for the car, you pick anything you want as long as they phone and the car have the same one entered (sometimes one device has a fixed code but in the case of the car, it can be anything...)

Does that help?
No, the phone asks for passkey but the car never gets to the point of asking for the passkey on the one key, does very quickly on the other key. I understand the no "correct" passkey, hence the highly creative "0000"! Just trying to figure out why one key let's my phone pair right away and the other doesn't work at all. I didn't know if the car some how associated one phone with a particular key. Sure it doesn't make sense but I grasping at straws here..
Old 11-08-2007 | 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Did the video help?
Old 11-08-2007 | 04:06 PM
Contributors

Thanks Rudy, I had seen that before but it does not help with my issue. One key pairs up nicely just as the video describes, enter passkey on phone then in iDrive and sure enough, works great. The other key, no joy. I start the pairing in the iDrive, the phone searches, finds the car and asks for the passkey. I enter and the phone says Pairing Failed. Just trying to figure out why one key works as advertised but one freezes up in process...
Old 11-08-2007 | 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm...I don't wan't to make things worse but it would be interesting to see what happens if you delete the successful pairing from the other key to see if it lets you pair it to the new key.

Clearly it sounds like you're doing things correctly so something is strange...
Old 11-08-2007 | 04:08 PM
Contributors

By the way, your Steelers looked strong Monday night! A little payback I guess...
Old 11-08-2007 | 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='491954' date='Nov 8 2007, 08:08 PM
By the way, your Steelers looked strong Monday night! A little payback I guess...
Yes sir! That was quite a performance by our boys...
Old 11-08-2007 | 04:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='491953' date='Nov 8 2007, 07:07 PM
Hmmm...I don't wan't to make things worse but it would be interesting to see what happens if you delete the successful pairing from the other key to see if it lets you pair it to the new key.

Clearly it sounds like you're doing things correctly so something is strange...
I thought of that when I made the original post at the office this afternoon. So when I got home I put the key I had been using in the house and went back out to the car with the other. It also showed no phones paired either, so I couldn't delete it to try what you suggested. That's when I paired with the second key, no problem. Kind of strange I thought...

Quick Reply: Operator error in pairing?