Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Okay--what's wrong? The ATT Network or the iPHone/BT interface?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007 | 05:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jksanford' post='443295' date='Jul 4 2007, 08:07 AM
I can confirm that it doesn't seem to work with the Aux port....
I'm sure the aux input works fine - you just need the right thin mini cable for the iPhone's headphone jack, or just shave down the current one you have with a knife so that it seats correctly on the iPhone.
Old 07-04-2007 | 05:46 AM
das
Site Founders

My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='443166' date='Jul 3 2007, 09:18 PM
That's what you get for using late 20th century technology... I saw my first EDGE demo at Ericsson back in the late 90s. As for the person saying "all of Ericsson's stuff went down" really sends the wrong message. Regardless of the hardware vendor, it was AT&T's network that went down.
Eh, there isn't anything wrong with EDGE/EGPRS as a standard. No, it's not the latest technology, but that's irrelevant to AT&T/Cingular's competence in deploying the service (which has already shown to be, shall we say, "limited" at times).

AT&T also has 3G UMTS HSDPA in limited markets, but it's fairly weak - the slowest iteration of the spec. UMTS uses different spectrum bands in EU and Asia compared to the US - so it's no wonder that the iPhone is GSM/EDGE. It needed to be usable in the widest possible area, and GSM/EDGE is the most prevalent technology.
AT&T is in the middle of a massive 3G buildout. There is so much UMTS/HSPDA capable equipment on the towers right now, but most of it is inactive. This is because they need to wait until areas have proper coverage so they can have consistent and uniform rollouts that make sense. Also, AT&T is artificually limiting 3G speeds because of its own bandwidth provisioning. As was recently seen with EDGE, AT&T will increase bandwidth incrementally over time. And you're right: the relatively limited 3G coverage in the US (and the inclusion of WiFi in the phone) us among the several reasons iPhone doesn't currently support 3G.

At least in the US, EVDO Rev A rules the roost for data. Sprint's Mobile WiMax (802.16e - 4G) deployment slated for late this year will "raise the bar" and likely make them the king of the hill for the time being. http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=12960 Sprint is in a good position after the acquisition of Nextel. Nextel purchased a large block of MMDS spectrum from Worldcom during the bankruptcy proceedings - spectrum that Worldcom had wanted to marry with Sprint's back when they tried (and failed) to acquire Sprint. The Sprint-Nextel merger combined the very same spectrum - only back then people were thinking it would be used for 3G. Now we'll be seeing 4G deployments by the end of the year.
As a Sprint EVDO user since its US rollout, I can attest that Sprint's EVDO infrastructure is extensive. And they'll be in a good position with WiMax. But AT&T sees the writing on the wall, and with technologies like UMTS Rev 8 (LTE), will be able to compete in that market as well long term.

With that said, all the various wireless technologies are moving towards their respective 4G evolutionary stages, utilizing OFDM and delivering ~100Mbits/sec within a few years. Once this happens, there will be very little difference between UMTS, Mobile Wimax, and EVDO.
Agreed.
Old 07-11-2007 | 04:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='443166
As a Sprint EVDO user since its US rollout, I can attest that Sprint's EVDO infrastructure is extensive. And they'll be in a good position with WiMax. But AT&T sees the writing on the wall, and with technologies like UMTS Rev 8 (LTE), will be able to compete in that market as well long term.

This sounds like Sprint propaganda to me, Verizon will be offering a Rev A service as well. In either case, CDMA is the way to go right now, in the US, for a high speed wireless data network connection.

From what I understand, Apple is getting a share of the revenue stream from ATT. I doubt Sprint or Verizon would have agreed to that. It's too bad, it looks like nice hardware, but i'll stick with my 700p.
Old 07-11-2007 | 07:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by z0lt3c' post='446445' date='Jul 11 2007, 08:04 PM
This sounds like Sprint propaganda to me, Verizon will be offering a Rev A service as well. In either case, CDMA is the way to go right now, in the US, for a high speed wireless data network connection.

From what I understand, Apple is getting a share of the revenue stream from ATT. I doubt Sprint or Verizon would have agreed to that. It's too bad, it looks like nice hardware, but i'll stick with my 700p.

Huh? I used to work for Verizon so I certainly have no love for Sprint. Verizon has had Rev A for a while now. Mobile WiMax is an entirely different animal. It's true 4G. Sprint is rolling it out in test markets near the end of 2007. Shit man, just read the link I posted.

I agree, I personally believe Apple likely made some pretty hefty demands when shopping for a carrier, and I also personally believe that Sprint and Verizon probably laughed Apple out of the room - if such a meeting ever happened.
Old 07-11-2007 | 10:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by z0lt3c' post='446445' date='Jul 11 2007, 05:04 PM
Agree, I really just wish Apple would have partnered with a different service provider. Cingular/AT&T advertise they have the lowest dropped calls. Thats because you can't even get a signal to make a call. When I had Cingular/AT&T for two years I couldn't wait until my plan was up. It was always a bitch to get a signal in buildings or at home.