Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Nokia 6300 contacts and noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009 | 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Hi All

I have the Bluetooth option in my car and is using a Nokia 6300. Works well except for two issues:

1) Phone book only tranfers one phone number pr. contact. Many of my contacts has 2 or 3 phone number entries, but I only get one of them on the I-Drive screen. Is this normal?

2) People I talk to often complain about noise, and I have found that placing the phone in the compartment where the snap-in adapter is supposed to go almost makes the problem go away (there is no snap-in adapter currently). I'm thinking that it is the BT connection that is not good. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Thanks,
Thomas.
Old 06-03-2009 | 12:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by thomassteen' post='897994' date='Jun 2 2009, 06:33 PM
Hi All

I have the Bluetooth option in my car and is using a Nokia 6300. Works well except for two issues:

1) Phone book only tranfers one phone number pr. contact. Many of my contacts has 2 or 3 phone number entries, but I only get one of them on the I-Drive screen. Is this normal?

2) People I talk to often complain about noise, and I have found that placing the phone in the compartment where the snap-in adapter is supposed to go almost makes the problem go away (there is no snap-in adapter currently). I'm thinking that it is the BT connection that is not good. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Thanks,
Thomas.
Well, here's a start point in understanding your problem - the following is a quote from the BMW Bluetooth Product information document dated December 08 ?Some Nokia and Samsung mobile phones only transfer one telephone number per contact list entry. On Nokia mobile phones, the number to be transferred can be labeled as "Standard?. (Indeed all of the BMW approved Nokia models have quote ?limitation of functions? relating to contacts transfer.)

I?m not familiar with the contact storage method of the 6300; you might try re-arranging the labeling of contact numbers as per the quote above e.g. if each contact is labeled home/mobile etc., these definitions can cause problems with the transfer of contacts on a range of different models (due to the method used to store the data internally); you might try re-assigning the standard label if this is possible?

Lousy fix perhaps however worse case you might have to create multiple entries for each number to transfer all of your contact numbers to the car????.

Are you referring to background noise?
Old 06-03-2009 | 03:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Originally Posted by Hawkwing' post='899147' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:14 AM
Well, here's a start point in understanding your problem - the following is a quote from the BMW Bluetooth Product information document dated December 08 ?Some Nokia and Samsung mobile phones only transfer one telephone number per contact list entry. On Nokia mobile phones, the number to be transferred can be labeled as "Standard?. (Indeed all of the BMW approved Nokia models have quote ?limitation of functions? relating to contacts transfer.)

I?m not familiar with the contact storage method of the 6300; you might try re-arranging the labeling of contact numbers as per the quote above e.g. if each contact is labeled home/mobile etc., these definitions can cause problems with the transfer of contacts on a range of different models (due to the method used to store the data internally); you might try re-assigning the standard label if this is possible?

Lousy fix perhaps however worse case you might have to create multiple entries for each number to transfer all of your contact numbers to the car????.

Are you referring to background noise?
Thanks for the response. It does look like it only transfers the "standard" number. Ie. for each contact that has more than one entry in the phone book, I can select which of the entries is the standard number. I can see that the BMW only transfers the entry that is selected as standard. If I select another entry for a contact to be standard, then the next time the phone connects to the car, this entry is in the IDrive menu. Maybe I need a new SW version on the phone?
I was not sure if the BMW BT at all supported more than one phone number entry pr contact, but it looks like it does?

The noise problem is not background noise. It is a humming type of noise only heard in the other end of the line - the sound in the car is perfect.

Thanks,
Thomas.
Old 06-08-2009 | 07:43 AM
Contributors

Ok, it seems that it is my phone not wanting to transfer more than the "Standard" number on a contact entry.

Looking at this doc bmw_bluetooth_information_0309_en_1_.pdf, it looks like all Nokia phones has this issue?

Has anybody succesfully had any Nokia model transferring more than one phone number per contact entry? If anybody has a Nokia phone that supports all the features I wanna get that model too. I want to make the most out of the Bluetooth install

Thanks,
Thomas.
Old 06-09-2009 | 04:51 AM
Contributors

Tested with my friends Nokia E71 - and that works fine with multiple entries per contact. So at least some Nokia phones work

Now I am updating my 6300 SW to latest version. (from version 5.00 to 7.x) Maybe that will change something. Or if not, I guess I have to buy a E71
Old 06-11-2009 | 01:23 PM
Contributors

ok, flashed the new SW into the 6300. Still same issue. So I guess I need to get another phone....

Regards,
Thomas.