Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Nokia 5800XM Phone Book

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M-Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Sun Protection Glass, M6 Staggered Alloys, ACS Rear Diffuser, EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads, I-Pod Interface. Rear Aux Power DIY, LCI Rear Lights, Extended interior lights - doors and footwells, LED licence plate lights.

I have just upgraded my mobile from a 6230i Nokia to a 5800 XM. The 6230i was faultless, would connect and download the address book immediately with no issues at all. The 5800 is a proving awkward to say the least, I have now got the bluetooth connection to remain stable, but it refuses to transfer the phone book no matter what I try. Nothing is transferred when pairing, I've tried sending contacts through as business cards, one at a time, in batches and with the whole phone book. Nothing works!! Once paired I try to send a business card and the phone offers the bluetooth option which I accept, the phone then says it is connecting (despite being connected to the car anyway) and immediately says connection failed and cancels the operation. I have checked that the phone's software is up to date and all seems well there. Took the car to the dealers today and they said Nokia phones aren't great because Nokia wouldn't give BMW the correct access codes? Why then is the phone listed as compatible and why do the sell a cradle for it? I asked if they could check the phone in another 5 series (mines a MY05) and they said yes, but then brought a Mini out! The phone connected fine to this and downloaded the phone book straight away without the need to send the contacts as business cards. This leads me to think my car may need a software update, but they seemed reluctant to offer this. In their view it wouldn't guarantee the phone would work properly, and may cause other control modules to fail in the car. I'm starting to wish I hadn't bought this phone. I don't understand what the issues are or if I am doing something wrong, I see MY03 and MY04 cars in this forum that have successfully paired and downloaded the address book to the car and yet mine won't. How do I check what software version I have in my car? It was updated 18-24 months ago to allow mp3 CD's to play in the dash CD player (also gives I-pod functionality without having to pay extra for it) but that is all that has been done to the car. Are they just trying to scare me off, they suggest a software update will cost circa £180 +vat. Any help you guys could offer would be appreciated.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kErb
I have just upgraded my mobile from a 6230i Nokia to a 5800 XM. The 6230i was faultless, would connect and download the address book immediately with no issues at all. The 5800 is a proving awkward to say the least, I have now got the bluetooth connection to remain stable, but it refuses to transfer the phone book no matter what I try. Nothing is transferred when pairing, I've tried sending contacts through as business cards, one at a time, in batches and with the whole phone book. Nothing works!! Once paired I try to send a business card and the phone offers the bluetooth option which I accept, the phone then says it is connecting (despite being connected to the car anyway) and immediately says connection failed and cancels the operation. I have checked that the phone's software is up to date and all seems well there. Took the car to the dealers today and they said Nokia phones aren't great because Nokia wouldn't give BMW the correct access codes? Why then is the phone listed as compatible and why do the sell a cradle for it? I asked if they could check the phone in another 5 series (mines a MY05) and they said yes, but then brought a Mini out! The phone connected fine to this and downloaded the phone book straight away without the need to send the contacts as business cards. This leads me to think my car may need a software update, but they seemed reluctant to offer this. In their view it wouldn't guarantee the phone would work properly, and may cause other control modules to fail in the car. I'm starting to wish I hadn't bought this phone. I don't understand what the issues are or if I am doing something wrong, I see MY03 and MY04 cars in this forum that have successfully paired and downloaded the address book to the car and yet mine won't. How do I check what software version I have in my car? It was updated 18-24 months ago to allow mp3 CD's to play in the dash CD player (also gives I-pod functionality without having to pay extra for it) but that is all that has been done to the car. Are they just trying to scare me off, they suggest a software update will cost circa £180 +vat. Any help you guys could offer would be appreciated.
I understand your frustration as I'm having the same problem with my N97. There are many BMW owners posting over on the Nokia forums regarding this. The blame is not all BMW'S but Nokia seem to be mainly at fault. Do a search on google for nokia bmw bluetooth and see for yourself how big an issue this is.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M-Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Sun Protection Glass, M6 Staggered Alloys, ACS Rear Diffuser, EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads, I-Pod Interface. Rear Aux Power DIY, LCI Rear Lights, Extended interior lights - doors and footwells, LED licence plate lights.

Originally Posted by crusher1
I understand your frustration as I'm having the same problem with my N97. There are many BMW owners posting over on the Nokia forums regarding this. The blame is not all BMW'S but Nokia seem to be mainly at fault. Do a search on google for nokia bmw bluetooth and see for yourself how big an issue this is.
You are 100% right this does seem to be a big problem affecting many Nokia phones & BMW plus Audi cars. I don't understand though how some people can get their phone / car combination to work while others fail like me. Is it worth having the cars software updated or is a waste of time, money and effort?
Old 09-10-2010, 04:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by crusher1
BMW Customer Services now say that a software upgrade on the car "may" work by bringing it into line with the latest version available. They won't guarantee it will work 100% though - i.e. its my gamble.

The dealer says they will do it, but have stated that during the programming it is possible that one or more control units in the car may fail. If this were to happen they say that they accept no responsibility and it would be at my cost to replace the affected control units. I'm gobsmacked really because I can't understand how coding the car with their equipment could cause a problem, plus if they break the car its down to me!? The dealer says its very rare for a control unit to go down, but warn that it can happen.

So they won't guarantee that the update will make the phone work properly, and the update might break control units on the car, which I will have to pay for as well.

Sounds like a cracking deal!

I'm not sure what to do here - is anyone aware of control modules failing when the car is coded?