Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

nextel bluetooth and 2006 520XI

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 11:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a NEXTEL subscriber. I just bought a 2006 525xi. I was told by a NEXTEL dealer that the 7520 Blackberry phone and the i605 (both apparently Bluetooth compatible) may not work in the BMW. Has anyone had any experieince with this or these particular phones with NEXTEL service. I have seen posts on other sites that indicate it may work, but I want a definitive answer before I plunk down a couple hundred dollars on a phone that may not work. The two phones are not listed on BMW's "official" list. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Melbourne Red X6M

I have the Blackberry 7520 and it works as long as you have software v4.0.0.249 (you can check this by going to "options" and then go to "about") The only problem is that direct connect will not work so if you use that a lot, i suggest that you not even try. Also, it won't load your phone book and the speakerphone seems to have a little bit of an echo.

David
Old 09-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bleudyno' date='Aug 31 2005, 03:44 PM
I have the Blackberry 7520 and it works as long as you have software v4.0.0.249 (you can check this by going to "options" and then go to "about")? The only problem is that direct connect will not work so if you use that a lot, i suggest that you not even try.? Also, it won't load your phone book and the speakerphone seems to have a little bit of an echo.

David
[snapback]165663[/snapback]
The above information is correct but a bit out of date. There is new software on the nextel website that fixes the echo problem completely and also allows you to change DC to the handset while in DC call. While DC does not work, you can switch the call easily to the handset. It is a bit annoying but I can live with it now. With the previous version I could not live with the exho and the DC issue.

The i605 has other problems with BT and BMW. If you have people in the car and you switch the call to the handset, it will automatically switch back to BT within 30 seconds, the call will not stay on the handset. You cannot have a private call. DC works fine but you need V17 on your car at least. As a phone, I hated the i605 though, I got rid of it in less than a month.

The phonebook will not synch with either one...

Pablo
Old 09-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bleudyno' date='Aug 31 2005, 02:44 PM
I have the Blackberry 7520 and it works as long as you have software v4.0.0.249 (you can check this by going to "options" and then go to "about")? The only problem is that direct connect will not work so if you use that a lot, i suggest that you not even try.? Also, it won't load your phone book and the speakerphone seems to have a little bit of an echo.

David
Old 09-01-2005, 06:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PabloR' date='Sep 1 2005, 08:09 PM
[quote name='bleudyno' date='Aug 31 2005, 03:44 PM']I have the Blackberry 7520 and it works as long as you have software v4.0.0.249 (you can check this by going to "options" and then go to "about")? The only problem is that direct connect will not work so if you use that a lot, i suggest that you not even try.? Also, it won't load your phone book and the speakerphone seems to have a little bit of an echo.

David
The above information is correct but a bit out of date. There is new software on the nextel website that fixes the echo problem completely and also allows you to change DC to the handset while in DC call. While DC does not work, you can switch the call easily to the handset. It is a bit annoying but I can live with it now. With the previous version I could not live with the exho and the DC issue.

The i605 has other problems with BT and BMW. If you have people in the car and you switch the call to the handset, it will automatically switch back to BT within 30 seconds, the call will not stay on the handset. You cannot have a private call. DC works fine but you need V17 on your car at least. As a phone, I hated the i605 though, I got rid of it in less than a month.

The phonebook will not synch with either one...

Pablo
[snapback]166129[/snapback]
[/quote]

Although the phone book will not sync, is there a way to manually enter most used phone numbers directly into the car's system? If so, how many. also, you indicated that you need at least V17. Is this a software version in the car's computer or phone? If so, how do you know what version you have and how do you upgrade? Thx.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:47 AM
Members

Although the phone book will not sync, is there a way to manually enter most used phone numbers directly into the car's system? If so, how many. also, you indicated that you need at least V17. Is this a software version in the car's computer or phone? If so, how do you know what version you have and how do you upgrade? Thx.

There is no way to manually enter phone numbers into the car's phonebook. You can only voice dial a number, but not a name. You can say "Dial number 5551212" and the car will dial it.

V17 is the car's software. If you have the perspective view on the nav, you have V17 or better. Also if the radio stays muted after turning off and turning the car back on, you have V17 or better. The dealer can tell you also. To upgrade you call the dealer, schedule a service appointment, you give them the car for 2 days and voila it is done. In order to get it for free, you must make up a problem with Idrive. There is plenty of threads talking about existing problems on Idrive that you can ask to be fixed with new software under warranty.

Pablo
Old 09-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PabloR' date='Sep 2 2005, 06:47 AM
Although the phone book will not sync, is there a way to manually enter most used phone numbers directly into the car's system?? If so, how many.? also, you indicated that you need at least V17.? Is this a software version in the car's computer or phone?? If so, how do you know what version you have and how do you upgrade?? Thx.

There is no way to manually enter phone numbers into the car's phonebook. You can only voice dial a number, but not a name. You can say "Dial number 5551212" and the car will dial it.

V17 is the car's software. If you have the perspective view on the nav, you have V17 or better. Also if the radio stays muted after turning off and turning the car back on, you have V17 or better. The dealer can tell you also. To upgrade you call the dealer, schedule a service appointment, you give them the car for 2 days and voila it is done. In order to get it for free, you must make up a problem with Idrive. There is plenty of threads talking about existing problems on Idrive that you can ask to be fixed with new software under warranty.

Pablo
[snapback]166213[/snapback]

Thanks for all of the info.? It looks like I will get the 7250.? One other question/comment:? On a Bluebery website, someone posted that they could not get the 7250 to link its phone book with the Lexus BT system.? Someone responded by saying that he bought a cheap earpiece, copied his phonebook into it and then linked the earpiece to the car's system.? Sound right?? Has anyone tried this? See BB link below.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=9614