Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Newbie question about bluetooth/carkit

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530D in Jet Black, anthracite MV2 18" Wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 Tyres.
Hello
im new to the forum and on saturday will pick up a 2004 530d registered 08 2004. The car currently has the nokia car kit installed. My question is does this mean it will have the bluetooth enabled and present? In the idrive menu when you go onto the phone option it just says no phone installed or present, is this just because there is no physical phone in the holder? Ive not been able to look under the panel in the boot to see if the BT logo is present which from what I have read is the bluetooth module.
Any help would be great
Thanks Simon
Old 07-07-2009, 04:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by e60simon' post='934945' date='Jul 7 2009, 08:32 AM
Hello
im new to the forum and on saturday will pick up a 2004 530d registered 08 2004. The car currently has the nokia car kit installed. My question is does this mean it will have the bluetooth enabled and present? In the idrive menu when you go onto the phone option it just says no phone installed or present, is this just because there is no physical phone in the holder? Ive not been able to look under the panel in the boot to see if the BT logo is present which from what I have read is the bluetooth module.
Any help would be great
Thanks Simon
"Almost" to the club

I think you can have the VIN run at a dealer and find out all the options - if you have the VIN handy.

Otherwise, when you're in the car next time, go into the "i" section of the iDrive menu and find Bluetooth and try to pair your phone with the car - if it pairs and works, you have it Sorry, I can't really help you much beyond what you've said and the VIN thing, bud. I think - not sure - some of the people on this forum might be able to do the VIN check for you - try posting the VIN in a new thread.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:59 AM
MrG
Members

My Ride: Sept '03 530d SE: Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic Auto, Bluetooth Telephone Prep, 6-Disc Changer, Business Navigation, Sports Suspension, Active Steering, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres.

Originally Posted by e60simon' post='934945' date='Jul 7 2009, 01:32 PM
Hello
Any help would be great
Thanks Simon
The car kit you mention is already installed ... is this the BMW kit that's in the arm-rest, or is it an after-market Nokia kit that's been fixed somewhere else (such as on the dash etc)?

If it's the former (i.e. BMW kit in the centre armrest) then I'd expect you already have the bluetooth too. If it's some other kit fixed elsewhere, then perhaps the BMW bluetooth isn't there and someone has retro-fitted that afterwards.

Either way, previous suggestion to get a check based on your VIN would be a way of finding out for certain.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D in Jet Black, anthracite MV2 18" Wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 Tyres.

The car kit is installed at the bottom of the dash on the left under the radio so im guessing its an aftermarket one with no on board bluetooth, I will do some digging when I get the car and see whats what, if it doesnt have bluetooth then ive found a cark 91 bluetooth adapter that fools the car kit into thinking its a phone and pairs with your actual phone but using the car kit to integrate with the car. ?60 so seems a good option rather than mega priced BMW stuff.
Other than that ive been looking at the dension ipod and bluetoooth kits which seem really really good.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Members

Hello
I now have the car and have done some checking into it, its seems im bottom of the pile for options, standard radio, no sat nav, no cd changer and no bt/bluetooth enabled TCU (think thats what its called in the boot) the car has a nokia bluetooth kit that mutes the radio and comes though the cars speakers but doesnt use the idrive etc.
Im looking at the dension 500 kit with bluetooth mudule, does anyone know if this will work with my car and will I have to go to bmw and pay for some updates or will it just work?
Could I buy a later model radio and just plug it in or wont that work?
cheers Simon