Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

New Phone - AT&T Motorola Q 9H Global

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008 | 05:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Well, I decided it was time to retire the old Verizon Q I had. I had been using it for 2.5+ years and it was pretty beat up. It worked mind you, but it was just time.

I was able to get a free Q 9H Global through work, and AT&T is our preferred carrier, so I switched.

The new phone has some great added features...

-Windows Mobile 6.1 (corrects memory leak that caused periodic reboots), also adds 33% more efficient directpush
-GPS enabled for AT&T GPS service
-Bluetooth 2.0
-Incredible keyboard
-SDHC support
-3G and quad GSM
-High thin battery and huge high-cap max battery (my old battery works too)
-adapter cables for new micro-USB connector
-much better speaker
-more main memory and faster CPU
-Opera browser pre-installed

The phone is great. The keyboard is awesome, and my apps run fine. Slingbox is really humming along with this device. The Slingplayer is very smooth, with high frame rate, and solid 250Kbps+ video stream. Skyfire runs, and "MyLocation" works in Google Maps. I found an 8GB micro-SD card from Meritline - shipped for $23.99. This phone will read and use 8+, but if you need to format anything bigger than 4GB, the phone can't do it (Windows Mobile limitation). Just format on a PC.
Old 10-14-2008 | 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Thanx for the review , hope this one lasts as long as your previous phone (perhaps even longer )
Old 10-14-2008 | 12:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='692631' date='Oct 14 2008, 08:35 AM
Well, I decided it was time to retire the old Verizon Q I had. I had been using it for 2.5+ years and it was pretty beat up. It worked mind you, but it was just time.

-Incredible keyboard

The phone is great. The keyboard is awesome, and my apps run fine.
Yeah...I love my old Verizon Q too. I've thinking about updating to the new version Q but the key board is so different I'm not sure I'll like as much as mine? Sounds like you like it though. It's weird how the Q switched to the blackberry style key board and now the new blackberry's look like the old Q's! The Q definatly has one of the nicest displays I've seen.
Old 10-18-2008 | 05:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Still pretty happy with the phone, but AT&T blows compared to Verizon. Given perfect conditions, it's supposed to be faster. In practice however, I'm getting more dropped calls and there are times when data service is unavailable. The latter happening much more often, and to me - the more egregious sin.

A buddy also just switched from Verizon to AT&T for the iPhone, and he is finding the exact same thing to be true. Washington, DC area. Too bad - I thought basic service coverage was a relatively solved problem.

Feb 17th can't happen soon enough.
Old 10-23-2008 | 09:43 AM
Contributors

New update...

My battery lasts about 3x as long on AT&T compared to Verizon. It's the exact same capacity battery as my old Q (and the old battery was new), so it's either the OS power mgmt or differences between the network chit-chat on AT&T vs. Verizon.

Also, I installed a cab file that enabled my GPS. I can use it with Live Search and Google Mobile Maps. Bonus!