Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

"Name Dialing question in car w/Nav (CCC)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 550i M-Sport (on order) 2011 335is 6 speed (current) 2005 545i 6 speed (sold)

Having already read through some of the other threads on this site, I am prepared for a negative answer.... anyhow, here goes nothing...

BACKGROUND: I have an '05 with Nav and a Blackberry 7100g (Cingular) which successfully pairs with the car sans address book. I am not exactly sure what CID I am on, but am guessing 17.1 --- I just had it updated to "the latest version within the past month when a new CCC was installed after the original died --- I have "Perspective" view on Nav.

OBJECTIVE: I want to take advantage of the "Name Dialing" (i.e. "Dial John Smith") functionality of the car.

Yesterday, I downloaded and read the BMW Telephone Users Manual from this site. On page 17, it indicates that you can use the "Save Name" voice command to store a name and number to the car. Once stored, this would enable you to say "Dial NAME" and voilla, that number would automagically be dialed from your phone. According to the manual, up to 50 names/numbers can be stored in the "Voice Phone Book"

Unfortunately, the "Save Name" command is not recognized by my car --- the car reacts by taking me to the Seat Heater Distribution menu . I can use the "Dial number command (i.e. "Dial 215-555-5555") and it works perfectly... I can even use the "Dial Name" command and the car correctly prompts me to enter a name --- however, as there are none stored, there is no acceptable response to this prompt.

Piecing together information gathered from other threads on this site, it seems that the "Save Name" command is not available in cars with Nav. Users with Nav AND a fully integrated BT phone (i.e. one that synchs the Address Book) can use voice dialing to call ANYBODY in their phone's/car's address book... unfortunately, as the Blackberry does not sync the address book with the car, this won't work for me.

Have any of you with NAV AND a BT phone that does not sync the address book (don't know if this applies to anything other than a Blackberry device) been able to get name dialing to work? Is there a workaround to achieve this? I have seen mention on this site of how one can "manually transfer the address book" from their phone to the iDrive on this site --- I have no idea what this is or how to do this, but could this approach serve as a workaround? Or am I simply SOL until Blackberry & BMW come up with an Address Book transfer solution.... any insight would be greatly appreciated.