Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

MUST I have a cradle???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there some way a phone can just be plugged into the shark fin and power source without having to purchase a cradle? I was using a Motorola V600 with T-Mobile, when it crapped out on me. T-Mobile sent me a replacement- a V330. I don't own a cradle for either model, but I would love to somehow access the antenna. On longer trips I have the phone plugged into the AC adapter (I have taken to using the passenger well netting in my '05 545), but as far as I'm concerned, I would be just as happy having the phone in the center unit plugged in as opposed to buying the (expensive) cradle, especially as it seems I am changing phones more freqently than cars.....
Old 10-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Marzzz' date='Oct 15 2005, 11:51 AM
Is there some way a phone can just be plugged into the shark fin and power source without having to purchase a cradle? I was using a Motorola V600 with T-Mobile, when it crapped out on me. T-Mobile sent me a replacement- a V330. I don't own a cradle for either model, but I would love to somehow access the antenna. On longer trips I have the phone plugged into the AC adapter (I have taken to using the passenger well netting in my '05 545), but as far as I'm concerned, I would be just as happy having the phone in the center unit plugged in as opposed to buying the (expensive) cradle, especially as it seems I am changing phones more freqently than cars.....
[snapback]184603[/snapback]
Not without a cradle, which by the way is the same cradle for v600 as v330.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:43 AM
Members

Which would be great unless I upgrade to a RAZR this year.....I would still love to be able to open the center console and just plug in the phone, cradle or no cradle.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue (2006) premium package 330i Mystic Blue (2004) premium package, sport package

Originally Posted by Marzzz' date='Oct 24 2005, 08:43 AM
Which would be great unless I upgrade to a RAZR this year.....I would still love to be able to open the center console and just plug in the phone, cradle or no cradle.
[snapback]187945[/snapback]
Hi,

I am new to this forum and have ordered my E60 in Aug/05 and is going to pick it up tomorrow in Toronto!

Mine is a 06 model (Sept/05 production) and got the start button; my salesman told me I have to pay $200+ to activate my bluetooth. I am using Motorola V3 too and the salesman said I have to drop off my phone and it will take a couple hours to activate it?????

Can anyone kindly tell me if that's true? I thought it would come with the car "activated" but if not, I thought it will only take a few minutes to activate it? Can someone please help me???
Old 10-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Members

WHAT????
Sounds like your dealer is in desperate need of some extra money :thumbsdown: .
It took me about 5 min. to pair my mobile ( Nokia, but who cares, the procedure is always the same ).
Old 10-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by fun2drive' date='Oct 24 2005, 12:05 PM
[quote name='Marzzz' date='Oct 24 2005, 08:43 AM']Which would be great unless I upgrade to a RAZR this year.....I would still love to be able to open the center console and just plug in the phone, cradle or no cradle.
Hi,

I am new to this forum and have ordered my E60 in Aug/05 and is going to pick it up tomorrow in Toronto!

Mine is a 06 model (Sept/05 production) and got the start button; my salesman told me I have to pay $200+ to activate my bluetooth. I am using Motorola V3 too and the salesman said I have to drop off my phone and it will take a couple hours to activate it?????

Can anyone kindly tell me if that's true? I thought it would come with the car "activated" but if not, I thought it will only take a few minutes to activate it? Can someone please help me???
[snapback]188039[/snapback]
[/quote]

Your salesman is ripping you. I have a 2004 545i on which bluetooth did not come as a standard option, however it was built late enough in the year that Bluetooth was able to be activated. I did not do anything until 2 weeks ago as Bell did not have a bluetooth phone in their lineup. Anyways I heard that Bell was getting the new Motorola E 815, so about 2 weeks ago when my car was at dealer for an oil change I asked them if they could activate the bluetooth. They did it and when I picked up the car they didn't even charge me to do it. Last week I got my new Cell phone and paired it myself to my 545, it took about 10 mins. First , they do not need you phone to activate bluetooth, they just have to adjust the programming and thent he message that coems up on your i-drive scrren will say " Please activate your phone", you then just have to pair it, instructions are in the information page of this forum.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue (2006) premium package 330i Mystic Blue (2004) premium package, sport package

[
[/quote]

Your salesman is ripping you. I have a 2004 545i on which bluetooth did not come as a standard option, however it was built late enough in the year that Bluetooth was able to be activated. I did not do anything until 2 weeks ago as Bell did not have a bluetooth phone in their lineup. Anyways I heard that Bell was getting the new Motorola E 815, so about 2 weeks ago when my car was at dealer for an oil change I asked them if they could activate the bluetooth. They did it and when I picked up the car they didn't even charge me to do it. Last week I got my new Cell phone and paired it myself to my 545, it took about 10 mins. First , they do not need you phone to activate bluetooth, they just have to adjust the programming and thent he message that coems up on your i-drive scrren will say " Please activate your phone", you then just have to pair it, instructions are in the information page of this forum.
[snapback]188046[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks Gabman!

I called the salesperson again and of course she plays "innocent" with the whole thing.........I told her I have been using the Razor (with the Bluetooth headset) and know how to "pair" it and don't need to be charged over $200+ for doing that for me! She even start to say that the service guy from the dealership have already do me a favour to put some "chips" in for the Bluetooth capability?????

I must have a word "stupid" on my forehead when I was purchasing the car from her!!! All I'm asking is that if the Bluetooth is activated or not; and if not can they activated it before I picked it up??? Is this question stupid or what?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Members

No it?s not. But BT needs no activation. What you need is pairing with your mobile, that?s all. Of course they can?t do that without your mobile, but as stated above that?s an easy thing for you to do.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by gabman' date='Oct 24 2005, 01:31 PM
[quote name='fun2drive' date='Oct 24 2005, 12:05 PM'][quote name='Marzzz' date='Oct 24 2005, 08:43 AM']Which would be great unless I upgrade to a RAZR this year.....I would still love to be able to open the center console and just plug in the phone, cradle or no cradle.
Hi,

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who is your dealer in Toronto? Mine charged for the re-programming to activate bluetooth and gave me a line about pairing but didn't mention a charge. I know I can do that myself.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by rmcd' date='Oct 27 2005, 12:54 PM
[quote name='gabman' date='Oct 24 2005, 01:31 PM'][quote name='fun2drive' date='Oct 24 2005, 12:05 PM'][quote name='Marzzz' date='Oct 24 2005, 08:43 AM']Which would be great unless I upgrade to a RAZR this year.....I would still love to be able to open the center console and just plug in the phone, cradle or no cradle.
Hi,

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who is your dealer in Toronto? Mine charged for the re-programming to activate bluetooth and gave me a line about pairing but didn't mention a charge. I know I can do that myself.

Thanks
[snapback]189557[/snapback]
[/quote]

RMCD

I am not in Toronto. Your dealer can charge you to activate your bluetooth because I see from your profile that you have a 2004 and in 2004 Bluetooth was not a standard option. My comments to FUNTODRIVE were different as he has a 2005 and bluetooth should be standard from 2005 onwards. Also you need to check in which month your 2004 was manufactured as I believe only 2004's manufactured in the second half of the year can be bluetooth activated as this is when they changed the TCU. If you dealer says you can do it and his charge in reasonable then go for it, as the bluetooth works great and i am sure that you will love having it. As far as pairing your phone, it really was not hard so you can do it yourself, depending of course which phone you have and if it is compatable with BMW Bluetooth. If you dealer is going to charge you, perhaps it may be wise to also let them pair it so if there are any problems, you will know before you have to pay them

Quick Reply: MUST I have a cradle???