Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

mp3/phone

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Well, my BMW is not here yet, so I am looking at all of the things that it can do. So my most recent question is whether mp3 files stored on a blue tooth compatible cell phone will play in the car through the stereo? Also, how many songs can you store on a cell phone?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:59 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2017 F06 650ix

Originally Posted by dgjk' date='Nov 1 2005, 02:49 PM
Well, my BMW is not here yet, so I am looking at all of the things that it can do.? So my most recent question is whether mp3 files stored on a blue tooth compatible cell phone will play in the car through the stereo?? Also, how many songs can you store on a cell phone?
[snapback]192010[/snapback]
No, that will not work.

How many songs you can store on a cell phone is determined by how much memory it has. A typical MP3 file is 2.5-5MB (depending on various factors), and most multimedia phones have 256MB or 512MB of memory. Some have card slots via which more memory can be added. Some very new phones have 2 or 3GB hard disks inside.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

d**n, oh well
Old 11-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Contributors

d**n, oh well
Old 11-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Your current phone will not work.

However, Samsung just announced yesterday a new phone with a 3GB drive in it that will pass stereo audio to one car via bluetooth... the 5 series. It will have iDrive integration as well.

The good thing is that the Bluetooth profile support that will need to be added to the 5 series will allow it to sync with this profile for other devices, so presumably as more portable MP3 devices support bluetooth for audio, the more options we'll have besides Samsung.

The Samsung does look like a sweet phone though.

http://www.samsunghq.com/%63ontent/view/125/5/

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/sgh1300/index.php

There are several threads scattered about the forums talking about this right now.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Nov 1 2005, 04:38 PM
Your current phone will not work.

However, Samsung just announced yesterday a new phone with a 3GB drive in it that will pass stereo audio to one car via bluetooth...? the 5 series.? It will have iDrive integration as well.

The good thing is that the Bluetooth profile support that will need to be added to the 5 series will allow it to sync with this profile for other devices, so presumably as more portable MP3 devices support bluetooth for audio, the more options we'll have besides Samsung.

The Samsung does look like a sweet phone though.

http://www.samsunghq.com/%63ontent/view/125/5/

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/sgh1300/index.php

There are several threads scattered about the forums talking about this right now.
[snapback]192070[/snapback]
Good find!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

wow....that is definitely gonna be my next phone....I have a V3 and I do not like it at all, no features, laggy operation etc....

How clear will the music be though?? I doubt it will be as good as CD's
Old 11-02-2005, 04:16 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2017 F06 650ix

Originally Posted by Jeffs' date='Nov 2 2005, 12:20 AM
wow....that is definitely gonna be my next phone....I have a V3 and I do not like it at all, no features, laggy operation etc....

[snapback]192313[/snapback]
You can make it as clear as you want, depending on how high of a bitrate you encode your music at. The higher the bitrate, the higher the quality - and the more room it takes. The phone also supports at least one uncompressed format (WAV), as many portable media devices do. But uncompressed music would take the same amount of space as it does on a CD, meaning that with its 3GB hard drive, you could only hold about 4 CDs. However, the phone also supports AAC, a much better encoding algorithm than MP3 (and what Apple uses with the iTunes Music Store and iPod). You might be surprised that 192 or 256kbps AAC sounds so close to CD that you may not be able to tell the difference (and most people can't as it is). Only your own personal tastes can determine how high of a bitrate you have to use to be satisfied.

However, it's a tri-band GSM (900/1800/1900MHz) phone, so it's likely not coming to the US.

That means you'll have to wait for another version of the phone, and since companies like to preannounce things like mad these days, there's no telling when a.) it will come to the US, if ever, or b.) the iDrive integration will be done.

In fact, I'd expect iDrive integration with the iPod still before this phone. (And yes, I'm serious.)
Old 11-02-2005, 04:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by das' date='Nov 2 2005, 08:16 AM
[quote name='Jeffs' date='Nov 2 2005, 12:20 AM']wow....that is definitely gonna be my next phone....I have a V3 and I do not like it at all, no features, laggy operation etc....

[snapback]192313[/snapback]
You can make it as clear as you want, depending on how high of a bitrate you encode your music at. The higher the bitrate, the higher the quality - and the more room it takes. The phone also supports at least one uncompressed format (WAV), as many portable media devices do. But uncompressed music would take the same amount of space as it does on a CD, meaning that with its 3GB hard drive, you could only hold about 4 CDs. However, the phone also supports AAC, a much better encoding algorithm than MP3 (and what Apple uses with the iTunes Music Store and iPod). You might be surprised that 192 or 256kbps AAC sounds so close to CD that you may not be able to tell the difference (and most people can't as it is). Only your own personal tastes can determine how high of a bitrate you have to use to be satisfied.

However, it's a tri-band GSM (900/1800/1900MHz) phone, so it's likely not coming to the US.

That means you'll have to wait for another version of the phone, and since companies like to preannounce things like mad these days, there's no telling when a.) it will come to the US, if ever, or b.) the iDrive integration will be done.

In fact, I'd expect iDrive integration with the iPod still before this phone. (And yes, I'm serious.)
[snapback]192377[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're correct, this phone would only make sense if you were a T-Mobile sub. Their bands match up to the phone so we might see it as an option with them.