Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Motorola Q works great!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using an Audiovox XV6600 (Verizon) for over a year now, and I got just basic handsfree functionality with my 2005 545i. Just switched to a Motorola Q and I was delighted to find full Contacts transfer, voice dialing, incoming/outgoing number/name display etc - very cool. I believe this is the first PDA/Pocket PC/Smartphone that offers full bluetooth capabilities with our cars, I'm pretty happy
Old 06-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Originally Posted by Catul' post='291824' date='Jun 2 2006, 08:48 PM
I've been using an Audiovox XV6600 (Verizon) for over a year now, and I got just basic handsfree functionality with my 2005 545i. Just switched to a Motorola Q and I was delighted to find full Contacts transfer, voice dialing, incoming/outgoing number/name display etc - very cool. I believe this is the first PDA/Pocket PC/Smartphone that offers full bluetooth capabilities with our cars, I'm pretty happy
Good to hear a Pocket PC phone works with our cars. How do you like the Q? Any problems with it?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:25 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Do you have multiple number per person in your contacts list? How does that transfer.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by iceman316' post='291869' date='Jun 3 2006, 05:36 AM
Good to hear a Pocket PC phone works with our cars. How do you like the Q? Any problems with it?
I really like the Q so far (only had it two days) - the form factor is especially awesome! I was used to a Pocket PC already with my XV6600, the Q is based on the Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone OS - basic difference is no touchscreen, everything is done with the jog wheel/d-pad/soft buttons (very similar to the Blackberry's).

Most Pocket PC/Palm phones are PDA's first, with the phone functions being secondary and not so good - the Q is phone first, with great voice quality, and easy one-handed operation. You can ultimately do more stuff on a Pocket PC OS, but the Smartphone works out well for my needs - quick and seamless email integration and contacts/calendar sync. Battery life appears to be on par with other Windows OS devices (charge every night .

Overall, an excellent phone with really good PDA/business functionality. And, relatively cheap (compared to other Pocket PC phones) at $200 with a 2-year contract on Verizon (if you qualify for New-Every-Two).
Old 06-03-2006, 04:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='291872' date='Jun 3 2006, 06:25 AM
Do you have multiple number per person in your contacts list? How does that transfer.
Yes, I do have multiple numbers for many of my contacts. I haven't explored all this fully yet, but I do recall seeing some contacts in there multiple times (on the car's screen) so it looks like you get one entry for each phone number. As you scroll through each contact, it displays the phone number next to it.

I'll verify this for sure and post back if it's any different.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I believe this is the first PDA/Pocket PC/Smartphone that offers full bluetooth capabilities with our cars, I'm pretty happy

I've been using a T-Mobile SDA for a couple months now. It works great.

I was waiting for the Q, but when I found out it was going to Verizon, that killed the deal.

Glad to hear the Bluetooth works, though. Verizon is notorious for crippling features on their phones and making you pay to "activate" them. Sounds like they might have put that shady business practice to bed.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='291888
Glad to hear the Bluetooth works, though. Verizon is notorious for crippling features on their phones and making you pay to "activate" them. Sounds like they might have put that shady business practice to bed.
Yes, Verizon is definitely notorious for that! It looks like they haven't restricted much, if anything, on this phone - and a good thing, as that would kill business use (I mean, why wouldn't you offer full Bluetooth capabilities anyway, it's nice to be able to use headsets and other features as intended?). I haven't done any Bluetooth file transfers - that's usually what they disable; I can transfer via ActiveSync (US just fine of course.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='291888' date='Jun 3 2006, 08:14 AM
Not get off topic but they just announced that they will be expanding BREW and offering applications preloaded on memory cards that will be sold at VW stores. So I think it's premature to say they've put those practices to bed. They still want to tell you what you want on your phone.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Contributors

For those who like the RAZR, but wish they had a Blackberry and a PDA at .47 inches thin, the new Motorola Q is here:

http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/q/q-experience/

Everything seems to work on the initial release, except the signal strength indicator on the I-Drive.

Edit: Sorry, I did not see the other post. Lomag, please merge if possible.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='291872' date='Jun 3 2006, 06:25 AM
It transfers like before, a separate record per number. Remember the Q is a PDA so if you are upgrading from a regular phone, you will want to transfer your phonebook to Outlook and then import all to the Q using Active Synch.

Quick Reply: Motorola Q works great!