Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Moto RAZR v3 Snap In

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i Touring

How did you invert the mini USB plug? I need to try and do a similar thing to convert a V3 cradle to fit the V3xx phone.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='416272' date='Apr 21 2007, 06:36 PM
No go sadly... the cosmetic work wasn't an issue, relativly easy to turn the USB on it's head, the cradle required 10 mins with the Dremil... sadly when snapped into the car it does not seem to charge... possibly a difference in the set up of the v3 and the Maxx? I thought mini USB was universal in it's form/connection.

Unless i'm missing something regarding incar set up ?

The cradle looks sweet with the Maxx in there, if it worked all would be well...

How dd you turn the USB on its head? Why was this relatively easy?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Originally Posted by mfwheel' post='424534' date='May 15 2007, 12:37 PM
How dd you turn the USB on its head? Why was this relatively easy?
Sorry for the lack of updates, Bruce i'm not in a position to check voltage etc etc , I will check your thoughts on charging when powered off though and i will come back on that soon.

Turning the USB Socket on it's head was tricky, involved taking the snap-in apart and careful trimming with a modeling knife prior to resetting in place with super dooper glue, for the RAZR Maxx the cradle had to be bastardized considerably but when done the phone sits in there neatly and covers any bad workmanship on my part.

I wouldnt imagine there would be any change to the cradle with a v3 xxx

I'll take a few pics of the finished article this weekend and post them up.

R
Old 05-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='424706' date='May 16 2007, 06:09 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates, Bruce i'm not in a position to check voltage etc etc , I will check your thoughts on charging when powered off though and i will come back on that soon.

Turning the USB Socket on it's head was tricky, involved taking the snap-in apart and careful trimming with a modeling knife prior to resetting in place with super dooper glue, for the RAZR Maxx the cradle had to be bastardized considerably but when done the phone sits in there neatly and covers any bad workmanship on my part.

I wouldnt imagine there would be any change to the cradle with a v3 xxx

I'll take a few pics of the finished article this weekend and post them up.

R
Some pictures would be great - especially a close up of how you inverted the mini USB plug.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mfwheel' post='424940' date='May 16 2007, 08:54 AM
Some pictures would be great - especially a close up of how you inverted the mini USB plug.
Project Binned... I never bothered taking pics either... i have a feeling Bruce was right with regards voltages, the RAZR Maxx being 3g there must have been an issue, having said that it does work perfectly well when plugged in to the USB port on my LCI and simply sat where the snap in would be, I'm due a new handset in december, I'll be looking for a full list of snap in's nearer the time and will decide my new handset based on snapin avaliability, living in Scotland and traveling down to England weekly I really would benifit from the antenna boost, for now i'll settle with what I have.

Apologies for lack of images, I binned the snap in after trying a few things on the weekend, Bruce i did try with the phone powered off, it still wouldn't charge.

R
Old 06-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by mfwheel' post='424527' date='May 15 2007, 11:17 AM
How did you invert the mini USB plug? I need to try and do a similar thing to convert a V3 cradle to fit the V3xx phone.
Flipping the USB over is quite straight forward ? open up the cradle, three screws on base ? prise loose ? this allows access to the base where the USB connector resides ? remove the two screws holding the USB support and remove from the cradle - the connector is housed in a pliable rubbery substance - cut open the rear and twist the connector and ribbon cable round and refit into the support, refit to the cradle ? this is a tad fiddly! The only concern I have is that the USB connector may require further stabilising, e.g. with glue, once it?s been in use for awhile, this as the USB ?shifts? a little more than the original V3 cradle did ? I?ll know soon!

I don?t have knowledge of the V3xx and its ability to fit the V3 cradle, I suspect it is too big to fit the cradle like my V6 - I have a Motorazr maxx V6 that was given to me recently, its fitted and operational presently, only one day so far!

To fit the maxx V6 to the V3 cradle I had to grind away areas at the top end of the cradle (phone is longer than V3) to securely locate the telephone ? that was straight forward ? the fiddly bit is ?tuning? (grinding) the various support posts that ?cradle? the telephone once it is fitted to obtain a secure fit that will release on ?command?! ? With patience this can be done!

I?ve have some pictures somewhere ? if anyone is interested I?ll post them, although I?m not sure how helpful there?ll be ? it really is quite simple to see what needs to be done here........

By the way obviously the Motorazr maxx V6 pairs, uploads contacts (once you?ve edited them, see other post entitled Verizon Motorazr maxx Ve as this phone uses a different method of indexing from V3),it also charges fine ( I checked this prior to sabotaging a new V3 cradle!)
Old 06-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hawkwing' post='434190' date='Jun 10 2007, 07:30 PM
Flipping the USB over is quite straight forward ? open up the cradle, three screws on base ? prise loose ? this allows access to the base where the USB connector resides ? remove the two screws holding the USB support and remove from the cradle - the connector is housed in a pliable rubbery substance - cut open the rear and twist the connector and ribbon cable round and refit into the support, refit to the cradle ? this is a tad fiddly! The only concern I have is that the USB connector may require further stabilising, e.g. with glue, once it?s been in use for awhile, this as the USB ?shifts? a little more than the original V3 cradle did ? I?ll know soon!

I don?t have knowledge of the V3xx and its ability to fit the V3 cradle, I suspect it is too big to fit the cradle like my V6 - I have a Motorazr maxx V6 that was given to me recently, its fitted and operational presently, only one day so far!

To fit the maxx V6 to the V3 cradle I had to grind away areas at the top end of the cradle (phone is longer than V3) to securely locate the telephone ? that was straight forward ? the fiddly bit is ?tuning? (grinding) the various support posts that ?cradle? the telephone once it is fitted to obtain a secure fit that will release on ?command?! ? With patience this can be done!

I?ve have some pictures somewhere ? if anyone is interested I?ll post them, although I?m not sure how helpful there?ll be ? it really is quite simple to see what needs to be done here........

By the way obviously the Motorazr maxx V6 pairs, uploads contacts (once you?ve edited them, see other post entitled Verizon Motorazr maxx Ve as this phone uses a different method of indexing from V3),it also charges fine ( I checked this prior to sabotaging a new V3 cradle!)
Hawk...

I carried out the same operation you have done, can you confirm all is functioning 100% please? If your phone is working then my previous fears over the cradles ability to power the phone are wrong and i may have another attempt at bastardising this cradle i still have.

thanks
Old 06-16-2007, 06:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='436324' date='Jun 16 2007, 08:10 AM
I carried out the same operation you have done, can you confirm all is functioning 100% please? thanks
Yes, be assured it works fine.

My maxx V6 when fitted in the cradle charges, uploads contacts, signal strength is very good (symbol in iDrive shows same strength as V3 did), call functions fine, no problems so far after a week or so.

It's pretty easy to damage the ribbon cable that carries the power and signal, perhaps this has fractured when you made the mods on your cradle? I hope you can solve your problem without too much aggro!