Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

More Bluetooth phone tests

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Bluetooth-enabled Mobile Phone update: BlackBerry Pearl 8120 top-rated, iPhone slips

I previously reported on our test of circa 30 Bluetooth-enabled mobile phones for compatibility with BMW's latest Bluetooth telematics systems. Here's an update with new tests and new phones.I found a clear winner among the new batch and, as others improve, the Apple iPhone slips in comparison. Our test of four new mobile phones revealed the same across-the-board inconsistencies that our previous... (click here to continue)
Old 06-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='593927' date='Jun 2 2008, 05:13 PM
Bluetooth-enabled Mobile Phone update: BlackBerry Pearl 8120 top-rated, iPhone slips

I previously reported on our test of circa 30 Bluetooth-enabled mobile phones for compatibility with BMW's latest Bluetooth telematics systems. Here's an update with new tests and new phones.I found a clear winner among the new batch and, as others improve, the Apple iPhone slips in comparison. Our test of four new mobile phones revealed the same across-the-board inconsistencies that our previous... (click here to continue)
Thanks for posting the link but I don't get the visual voicemail issue raised in the article. Reading your report, it seems to suggest that one cannot access and listen to voicemail on your iPhone through bluetooth (due to the presence of visual voicemail), and that's not really accurate. All one has to do is press and hold "1" on the iPhone and you can access your voicemail over the air just like any other phone. AT&T continues to manage and maintain your voicemail as normal, the visual voicemail feature is maintained on the device itself and is just a bonus. Not sure you can call a demerit when no other phone has visual voicemail and that your voicemail can indeed be accessed in the traditional way on an iPhone!
Old 06-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Thanks for the update, Jon. I can sure echo the endorsement, I have been totally pleased with my 8130 in all its features including the phone book syn, voice activation, call waiting, etc. Not to denigrate the iPhone, I don't have experience with it so can't compare, but can fully endorse the crackberry 8130. The only thing I haven't been able to do reliably is have the phone through iDrive successfully dial a multi-part number that includes waits or pauses before proceeding (such as accessing my voice mail). I can do it easily with the phone itself, and I'll bet there's a way to do it with iDrive, I just haven't figured it out in the couple months I've had the car.

Cal
Old 06-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='593933' date='Jun 2 2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks for posting the link but I don't get the visual voicemail issue raised in the article. Reading your report, it seems to suggest that one cannot access and listen to voicemail on your iPhone through bluetooth (due to the presence of visual voicemail), and that's not really accurate. All one has to do is press and hold "1" on the iPhone and you can access your voicemail over the air just like any other phone. AT&T continues to manage and maintain your voicemail as normal, the visual voicemail feature is maintained on the device itself and is just a bonus. Not sure you can call a demerit when no other phone has visual voicemail and that your voicemail can indeed be accessed in the traditional way on an iPhone!
I will have to test this again - you raise an excellent point.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Glad you mentioned that feature... works on the BB8130 also, pressing and holding "1" dials the Verizon voice mail account for my phone, and I can listen to those successfully via the BMW system (it is a little of a pain, however, to have to open the console to press "1" on the phone to do this -- applies to the iPhone or the BB apparently). My comment above is about accessing external voice mail accounts or other services where logging in requires a series of entries separated by pauses or wait commands. Those accounts remain elusive to me via iDrive bluetooth to my blackberry. Similar to iPhone I'd guess, but I don't know.

Cal
Old 06-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Contributors

Pressing and holding the "1" key on most phones dials the local phone number for Voicemail access, which you can add to your phonebook and label "Voicemail"..........that way it is transferred to your iDrive with all the other phone numbers in your phone book. All you have to do from then on is push the Voice Command button and say "Call Voicemail" and it will dial your voicemail number just like pressing and holding "1" on the phone does, except you don't have to take your phone out in order to do it.

In order to find out what number the phone is dialing when you press and hold "1" you need to do it once and then go back to your "outgoing call" list to see what the number is. Then just add that number to your phonebook and label it "Voicemail". The next time the phone pairs with the car it will transfer that number along with the other ones........and you're set.

For example, my ATT Sony Ericsson K790a dials either 1-818-640-1234 or 1-213-300-1059 when I press and hold "1", so I saved the first number in the phone book and labeled it "Voicemail". Now I just say "Call Voicemail" and iDrive dials it.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

Here's what I need to do with my Blackberry, can someone tell me if it can be done via the iDrive bluetooth?
1) I dial the phone number
2) on VM answer, I must dial a 2-character access prompt, then pause
3) on VM instruction, I dial my office phone extension, then pause
4) on VM instruction, I dial my password

On the Blackberry all of the above is automated with some programmed pauses. I haven't been able to do that on the iDrive.

Cal

PS I think this is unintentionally hijacking Jon's thread, so I'll ask my question in another thread. No need to reply here.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='594005' date='Jun 2 2008, 09:55 PM
Here's what I need to do with my Blackberry, can someone tell me if it can be done via the iDrive bluetooth?
1) I dial the phone number
2) on VM answer, I must dial a 2-character access prompt, then pause
3) on VM instruction, I dial my office phone extension, then pause
4) on VM instruction, I dial my password

On the Blackberry all of the above is automated with some programmed pauses. I haven't been able to do that on the iDrive.

Cal

PS I think this is unintentionally hijacking Jon's thread, so I'll ask my question in another thread. No need to reply here.
It's ok - how are you indicating the pauses in your dialing sequence?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

My RAZR V3 was a better phone with my BMW than my I-Phone. No pauses and VM worked.

However, swajames, you rock - I did not realize the standard VM was still there. If I can get that them I'm a mostly happy camper (still need to get rid of those connection pauses).
Old 06-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpina White / Natural Brown Dakota, 550 19" Wheels, M5 Rear Spoiler, 40% Lumar Tint....M Tech Kit on the way!

I currently own and use 2 cell phones.

1. Blackberry 8130

2. iPhone

For me the Blackberry woks MUCH better with our cars.

I've been trying to install the snap in adapter for the iPhone because the signal is really bad and perhaps the antenna connection might help.....unfortunately, a "stealership" horror story has unfolded and I haven't been able to resolve it.

Regardless, the BB8130 address book syncs much faster and the VM is a breeze. In addition, according to the review, I can use the more powerful voice dialing feature of the BB8130.

Quick Reply: More Bluetooth phone tests