Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

March 04 E60 - Can it or Can it not have bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after reading it seems that my March 04 E60 MIGHT have the correct tcu in which a software upgrade can turn on the bluetooth functionality. I read on the forum that it depends when in March it was built. Is there a way to look at the TCU and know if it is bluetooth compatible or not?

Also, am I correct in saying the software upgrade is 14 or higher and we are now at 25. My software has not been upgraded for that long???? And...I just bought it certified used, shouldn't it have the most up to date software installed?

thanks in adavance, this site is awesome.

-Martin
Old 05-16-2007, 03:59 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Originally Posted by lovinthe545' post='424962' date='May 16 2007, 04:42 AM
So after reading it seems that my March 04 E60 MIGHT have the correct tcu in which a software upgrade can turn on the bluetooth functionality. I read on the forum that it depends when in March it was built. Is there a way to look at the TCU and know if it is bluetooth compatible or not?

Also, am I correct in saying the software upgrade is 14 or higher and we are now at 25. My software has not been upgraded for that long???? And...I just bought it certified used, shouldn't it have the most up to date software installed?

thanks in adavance, this site is awesome.

-Martin
Martin,

My e60 was also a March 04 build. They way I checked on the bluetooth was to call BMWNA (800-831-1117) and give them the last 7 digits of my VIN number. They told me I had the correct TCU in my car. I got different answers from the dealer's service department. But, when I went to the parts guy at the dealership, he looked up my VIN number and also verified I could activate the bluetooth with a software upgrade. I had the upgrade for some warranty issues and asked them to turn on the bluetooth during the upgrade. They did this at no charge to me.

As far as having the newst upgrade on a CPO car, I doubt if many dealers upgrade the software on a car that is not showing any problems. My car was a CPO car and it did not have the newest software. If I were to buy another CPO car, I would now know to ask for a software upgrade as part of the deal. But, when I bought my first BMW, I hadn't discovered this board yet.

Good luck and enjoy your car.

Mike
Old 05-16-2007, 05:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MDT' post='424965' date='May 16 2007, 06:59 AM
Martin,

My e60 was also a March 04 build. They way I checked on the bluetooth was to call BMWNA (800-831-1117) and give them the last 7 digits of my VIN number. They told me I had the correct TCU in my car. I got different answers from the dealer's service department. But, when I went to the parts guy at the dealership, he looked up my VIN number and also verified I could activate the bluetooth with a software upgrade. I had the upgrade for some warranty issues and asked them to turn on the bluetooth during the upgrade. They did this at no charge to me.

As far as having the newst upgrade on a CPO car, I doubt if many dealers upgrade the software on a car that is not showing any problems. My car was a CPO car and it did not have the newest software. If I were to buy another CPO car, I would now know to ask for a software upgrade as part of the deal. But, when I bought my first BMW, I hadn't discovered this board yet.

Good luck and enjoy your car.

Mike

I called that number and spoke to this lady. She said that my car was built on March 23, 2004 and that no 2004 models have the bluetooth capability. She acted like she was POSITIVE. Whats up with that?

Martin
Old 05-16-2007, 05:49 AM
Members

Just called back and got the same lady. I quoted from the SI B84 13 04 that states: it is possible. She said it is possible but the dealership would have to try it. She wouldn't say if it could or couldn't. I saw on some post on this forum that March 04 builds might or might not have bluetooth capibility. Anyone know how to check for sure without taking it to the dealership?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by lovinthe545' post='424985' date='May 16 2007, 07:49 AM
Just called back and got the same lady. I quoted from the SI B84 13 04 that states: it is possible. She said it is possible but the dealership would have to try it. She wouldn't say if it could or couldn't. I saw on some post on this forum that March 04 builds might or might not have bluetooth capibility. Anyone know how to check for sure without taking it to the dealership?
With your build date, all that you should require is BT being enabled as per the bulletin. Depending on the SW version in your car, a SW update may also be required. Your dealer can tell you pretty quickly once your car is in the shop.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:59 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Originally Posted by lovinthe545' post='424981' date='May 16 2007, 06:42 AM
I called that number and spoke to this lady. She said that my car was built on March 23, 2004 and that no 2004 models have the bluetooth capability. She acted like she was POSITIVE. Whats up with that?

Martin
Sorry you got one of the bad reps. I think I have talked to the same lady on occassion and she is less than helpful. I have called other times and found people that have given me very good info. She did tell you, though, that your car was built on 3/23/04. This was after mine was built, so you should be able to activate your bluetooth with a software upgrade. I have heard that some of the early March 2004 builds still had the older TCU, but the later ones were OK. Sounds like you should be good to go with your build date. Also, be sure to take the bulletin that covers this with you to the dealer. I gave the bulletin to my SA and he attached it to the work order.

Keep after it and you should have bluetooth in no time as well as some of the other new items from the newer software updates.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:22 AM
Members

Will do, car is going in the shop on Friday. It would have to be a friday though.... :thumbsdown:
Old 05-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lovinthe545' post='424981' date='May 16 2007, 09:42 AM

Martin
My 04 E60 had a March 15, 2004 build date and it was BT compatible. I had it turned on and successfully used it until I turned the car in a month or so ago. You should be good to go.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Members

The only way to tell for sure is to expose the TCU and read the part number off it's sticker. Some BMW dealers have swapped out TCU's on vehicles due to past problems.

This is actually fairly easy to do. It's in the trunk on the driver seat nearer to the rear seat section. To expose it remove the section nearest to the end of the car by unscrewing the metal hook and then popping out the plastic rivet. The plastic shell will pop out, and then you can peel back the carpet section closer to the rear seat and you'll see the TCU w/ a number (3-5) of small round BNC type cables coming into the top. It's a long silver rectangle. If your luck the sticker will be face out and you can read the part number otherwise you can release the bracket and read it from the other side.

If you take a look at this diagram; http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...;fg=10&hl=3

I believe all part no's after 84116942592 will work. If you have 84116942592 that will have a BT logo and a BT antenna but cannot be activated. I would love somebody to correct me on this
Old 05-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by z0lt3c' post='425703' date='May 17 2007, 09:02 PM
The only way to tell for sure is to expose the TCU and read the part number off it's sticker. Some BMW dealers have swapped out TCU's on vehicles due to past problems.

This is actually fairly easy to do. It's in the trunk on the driver seat nearer to the rear seat section. To expose it remove the section nearest to the end of the car by unscrewing the metal hook and then popping out the plastic rivet. The plastic shell will pop out, and then you can peel back the carpet section closer to the rear seat and you'll see the TCU w/ a number (3-5) of small round BNC type cables coming into the top. It's a long silver rectangle. If your luck the sticker will be face out and you can read the part number otherwise you can release the bracket and read it from the other side.

If you take a look at this diagram; http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...;fg=10&hl=3

I believe all part no's after 84116942592 will work. If you have 84116942592 that will have a BT logo and a BT antenna but cannot be activated. I would love somebody to correct me on this
I'll be hot now if i can't. I brought the paperwork in (thanks to e60forums) that said march 04 and greater have bluetooth. I just bought the car and I have that 1-2 slam going on. It only happened once but I also have a not "smooth as silk" idle either. I took it in to get a software upgrade hoping that will fix it. Bastards are charging me $105 to turn on the bluetooth. I'm sure it take all but 10 min if you are already downloading the new software.

Quick Reply: March 04 E60 - Can it or Can it not have bluetooth