Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

LG PM-325

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 08:41 AM
sav
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried to link this new Sprint phone? It would be nice to have another option other than the Sony phone. Thanks
Old 12-16-2004, 09:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, SMG, Silver Grey, Black leather w/anthracite trim, Premium, Sport, Cold, Rear Fold Down Seats, Rear Seat Heating, Xenons. Mods: 545i chrome grill, Euro Red Reflectors and 20% window tint. Coming Soon: Dual LCD monitors w/DVD and Subwoofer install.

I am also hoping someone has tried this phone. I'd rather have a clamshell style phone (aka flip phone), but Sprint does not offer a bluetooth flip (like every other carrier. I'd be willing to try the "slider" if the bluetooth functioned well on our cars.

I'll probably buy one after the first of the year, unless someone posts it just doesn't work well.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sav' date='Dec 16 2004, 12:41 PM
Has anyone tried to link this new Sprint phone?? It would be nice to have another option other than the Sony phone. Thanks
[snapback]69658[/snapback]
I tried to get one but the website sold out in the first 24 hours so I'm on the waiting list. They are supposed to get a new batch next week and my Sprint Rep is supposed to call me on Monday to tell me when they can ship it.

Also - FYI (and probably good for a new post) my dealer had trouble with the current recall and was forced to REPLACE MY TCU...which of course means that in conjuction with software 13.3 I believe my 9/2003 production model will be bluetooth enabled.....fingers crossed....
Old 12-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sav' date='Dec 16 2004, 12:41 PM
Has anyone tried to link this new Sprint phone?? It would be nice to have another option other than the Sony phone. Thanks
I left sprint for Cingular earlier this year based on Sprint's lack of BT support.

When looking around for BT options on phones, I was told that a big reason that Sprint and Verizon do not have a good selection of BT phones (at the time it was no BT phones from either) had to do with power consumption. The way it was explained to me is that combining CDMA technology used by Sprint with BT in a phone would use up battery life much quicker than the GSM service offered by ATT and Cingular. With the details provided (and forgotten now), it sounded plausible. I have never found a better reason to explain the relative lack of BT phones for non-GSM services in the US.

I have no idea if this is true, but thought I would throw it out there for comment/consideration. I liked my Sprint service and have no axe to grind with them - I just couldn't wait around any longer for them to offer a phone that met my needs.

--Joe
Old 12-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jrm21' date='Dec 16 2004, 04:07 PM
[quote name='sav' date='Dec 16 2004, 12:41 PM']Has anyone tried to link this new Sprint phone?? It would be nice to have another option other than the Sony phone. Thanks
I left sprint for Cingular earlier this year based on Sprint's lack of BT support.

When looking around for BT options on phones, I was told that a big reason that Sprint and Verizon do not have a good selection of BT phones (at the time it was no BT phones from either) had to do with power consumption. The way it was explained to me is that combining CDMA technology used by Sprint with BT in a phone would use up battery life much quicker than the GSM service offered by ATT and Cingular. With the details provided (and forgotten now), it sounded plausible. I have never found a better reason to explain the relative lack of BT phones for non-GSM services in the US.

I have no idea if this is true, but thought I would throw it out there for comment/consideration. I liked my Sprint service and have no axe to grind with them - I just couldn't wait around any longer for them to offer a phone that met my needs.

--Joe
[snapback]69711[/snapback]
[/quote]

I was under the impression that they had not figured out a billing plan that would properly motivate their customers (ie at the time you could conceivably get an unlimited voice package and use BT with your lap top for an albeit slow connection unlimited internet access for far less than the unlimited data access plan they were offering at the time).
Old 12-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Members

--Joe
[/quote]

I was under the impression that they had not figured out a billing plan that would properly motivate their customers (ie at the time you could conceivably get an unlimited voice package and use BT with your lap top for an albeit slow connection unlimited internet access for far less than the unlimited data access plan they were offering at the time).
[snapback]69736[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good call LG,

This definitely makes the most sense. Always, ALWAYS follow the $$$ when you are looking for a logical explanation.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Wart' date='Dec 16 2004, 06:09 PM
--Joe
[snapback]69736[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good call LG,

This definitely makes the most sense. Always, ALWAYS follow the $$$ when you are looking for a logical explanation.
[snapback]69749[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sprint never could get the Vision billing per MB thing working. I remember when they upgraded me "for free" to the unlimited MB package. Buzz at the time was that could not get the data meter system working right. So this explanation sounds good to me.

On a related note, I just read some comments about the LG PM-325 on a Mac message board. According to the poster, the 325 _will_ work with BT hands free devices but will NOT be able to sync an address book with a Mac via iSync or a car. It apparently does not have the BT "service" needed for that.

Although the website where I read this (MacInTouch.com) is very reliable, I do not have first hand knowledge of the phone's capabilities. Before you cough up and cash on the phone, however, this is a point worth checking out.

Sure, having hands-free built in to the car is nice. But having a few hundred numbers that automatically sync with the car (plus provide caller ID with name from the phone book on the iDrive screen) is really really nice.

--Joe
Old 12-17-2004, 11:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Well that makes sense now. I switched from Verizon to Cingular for the same reason. I used to use VZWs V710 with the BT headset, hoping that a firmware update would make it compatible with the car. I noticed how quickly the battery would drain when using the headset. I now have a GSM RAZR. Its always paired to the car (the V710 was only paired when I was actually using the headset). I have driven for 3 and 4 hours and there is no noticeable change in battery life. One of the reasons I gave up the wait for the firmware.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:44 AM
sav
Members

I see that it is working with Acura TL except that signal strength and battery life does not appear on screen. If it works this well with BMW, I will get it. $229 is not a bad price
Old 12-20-2004, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by sav' date='Dec 20 2004, 11:44 AM
I see that it is working with Acura TL except that signal strength and battery life does not appear on screen. If it works this well with BMW, I will get it.? $229 is not a bad price
[snapback]70758[/snapback]

this phone does not have OBEX services enabled. hence, no sync on address book etc.

Quick Reply: LG PM-325