Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Jailbreak the Iphone3g

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello iphone & 3g users

Since iphone got to Romania also officially as Orange got the exclusive contract with Apple, i decided a month ago to go for an iphone 3g 16Gigs. Now i'm loving it and i wouldn't want any other phone.

Someone asked me: ok ok you love it but would you prefer to improve it? I said: hell yeah, i mean really make the bluetooth work with all the devices, allow to set as ringtone any mp3 as any 5 old mobile phone can, copy paste functions etc etc...and yet i don't really need those since i don't very often BT my phone, but it would be nice to have them.

And let me tell you another thing. I loved how this phone works that i'm very interested now in a Mac to replace my PC.It's like i saw the light and it's crazy how Leopard acts compared to Vista or MShit (pun intended) but that's another topic.

I wanted to know from you iphone users if anyone decided to jailbrake it and if yes whare are the major benefits? Also what do you think are the biggest risks in jailbreak?!

Cheers,

Soon Mac user!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='678826' date='Sep 26 2008, 12:20 PM
Hello iphone & 3g users

Since iphone got to Romania also officially as Orange got the exclusive contract with Apple, i decided a month ago to go for an iphone 3g 16Gigs. Now i'm loving it and i wouldn't want any other phone.

Someone asked me: ok ok you love it but would you prefer to improve it? I said: hell yeah, i mean really make the bluetooth work with all the devices, allow to set as ringtone any mp3 as any 5 old mobile phone can, copy paste functions etc etc...and yet i don't really need those since i don't very often BT my phone, but it would be nice to have them.

And let me tell you another thing. I loved how this phone works that i'm very interested now in a Mac to replace my PC.It's like i saw the light and it's crazy how Leopard acts compared to Vista or MShit (pun intended) but that's another topic.

I wanted to know from you iphone users if anyone decided to jailbrake it and if yes whare are the major benefits? Also what do you think are the biggest risks in jailbreak?!

Cheers,

Soon Mac user!
My son and I both use jailbraked and unlocked 2G iPhones. You can jailbreak the 3G but not unlock via software (yet).

When you jailbreak, you get access to a lot of other programmes from the OS community, including some functions which Apple will not allow via the Appstore programmes. For instance, things that run in the background.
You can install "Winterboard" and easily install custom themes and sounds etc.

It is very easy to jailbreak the phone (there are several guides) but if you do manage to screw it up it is easy to restore back to the original condition.

By all means, buy a Mac but don't do it based on your love of the iPhone - that's distorted logic.

I have run all flavours of Windows and a few Linux packages (though not an Apple OS for a long time). Everyone likes to have a pop at MS by talking about M$ (as if Apple don't care about profit) or Microshaft. The truth is that Vista is a perfectly good OS for the vast majority of users. Deal with it. You don't need to run it on Microsoft hardware either.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

'iCE-Phones' and 'Crack-berries'.... What is this world coming to??? All you iPhone and Blackberry users, don't take offense... I'm just bitter because we get neither in Korea.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:12 AM
rjc
Members

My Ride: Oct 2007: 525d SE Auto, Space Grey, Black Leather, Visibility Pack, Luxury Pack, Media Pack, Rear Air Bags, Space Saver Spare, Comfort Access, Auto Dim mirror + Ext folding, Through Load System, All round heated seats, Extended interior light pack, DAB, Logic 7, USB Interface and HUD.

If you want virtually anything as a ringtone, without the need to jailbreak, just nip over to http://www.iringer.net/
Software is free, and works great. There are a few video tutorials up there too if needed.

Glad to say my iPhone 3g, v2.1 works just fine with my car. I was concerned after all the comments, I just need an iPhone 3g cradle for my car and life, for a fleeting moment, will be complete.

Now cut and paste would be nice, along with the ability to forward SMS messages or use SMS templates. But this isn't an iPhone forum....
Old 09-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='678950' date='Sep 26 2008, 06:23 PM
My son and I both use jailbraked and unlocked 2G iPhones. You can jailbreak the 3G but not unlock via software (yet).

When you jailbreak, you get access to a lot of other programmes from the OS community, including some functions which Apple will not allow via the Appstore programmes. For instance, things that run in the background.
You can install "Winterboard" and easily install custom themes and sounds etc.

It is very easy to jailbreak the phone (there are several guides) but if you do manage to screw it up it is easy to restore back to the original condition.

By all means, buy a Mac but don't do it based on your love of the iPhone - that's distorted logic.

I have run all flavours of Windows and a few Linux packages (though not an Apple OS for a long time). Everyone likes to have a pop at MS by talking about M$ (as if Apple don't care about profit) or Microshaft. The truth is that Vista is a perfectly good OS for the vast majority of users. Deal with it. You don't need to run it on Microsoft hardware either.
No no no...not wanting to sound immodest but i'm no mere average computer user. I didn't want to elaborate regarding the Mac vs PC (vs Linux) theme as i thought to open a new thread but now that you mentioned it, let me tell you that i'm quite familiar with Windows (shit). Yes i still use Vista Ultimate as my day to day PC, cuz i also have Ubuntu Hardy installed as a dual boot, i need office 2007 for day to day work and i can't quite install office 2007 in ubuntu with wine no matter what voodo i did. Open office is just not enough. So i'm quite of a hybrid lurking from Windows to Linux now and then and from many many years of experience let me just say that Windows indeed is by far the most complete software but is by far the mos unreliable, unstable, and well after some time of heavy usage (even with proper maintenance defrag, reg clean etc) you still have to reinstall windows cuz it get so damn slow and unresponsive. While Windows does gaming by far the best, and i am a gamer myself, other OSes do way better at other chapters.
Having said that i didn't look at Mac recently based purely on iphone, although you must know that iphone software itself is built on leopard grounds. I watched countless presentations of Leopard, i even tested some Apple products at my local apple store and found them fascinating. The biggest feature i like is time machine (which is new to leopard) and you should take a look here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

And having an OS, just like linux but without having to remember countless terminal command lines, is just super EVEN THOUGH it's not open source like most linux distros. Not fearing viruses so much as in windows is just a big plus, although i strongly recommend to all linux and mac users to keep an AV active just to stop spreading other viruses, harmfull to them but devastating to others.

Yes Windows Vista is one of the most poorest developed OSes....and the fact windows is selling so few is the perfect proof. However i still want DX10 in my games and no way i'm returning to the old stupid XP.

PS: I'll attach some of my experiences with Vista. Hope you like them as it is truly a "perfectly good OS".

PSS: I fully support the open source community and i applaud their cause.
Attached Thumbnails Jailbreak the Iphone3g-uite_ti_windosu___la_treaba.jpg   Jailbreak the Iphone3g-windosu____job_well_done.jpg   Jailbreak the Iphone3g-unexpected_error.jpg   Jailbreak the Iphone3g-whaat.jpg   Jailbreak the Iphone3g-wtf2.jpg  

Jailbreak the Iphone3g-windows_vista_ultimate_ram_usage.jpg  
Old 09-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rjc' post='679050' date='Sep 26 2008, 08:12 PM
If you want virtually anything as a ringtone, without the need to jailbreak, just nip over to http://www.iringer.net/
Software is free, and works great. There are a few video tutorials up there too if needed.

Glad to say my iPhone 3g, v2.1 works just fine with my car. I was concerned after all the comments, I just need an iPhone 3g cradle for my car and life, for a fleeting moment, will be complete.

Now cut and paste would be nice, along with the ability to forward SMS messages or use SMS templates. But this isn't an iPhone forum....
No no no please go on. This IS an IPhone thread so anything iphone related goes. Although i'm not an SMS fan since i call rather then send an SMS, i would really find usefull the copy paste, or the ability to save youtube videos.