Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

IPOD(6fl) and BT idrive weird behavior....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D
Thumbs up

So I've been noticing sometimes as I plug in my Ipod the idrive menu will only show the song that is playing and nothing else (not the playlist it is in). Other times the idrive screen will show the entire playlist the song playing is located in. I prefer the second occurrence more so I don't have to scroll thru the whole idrive menu to actually get to the playlist and choose songs. Is there any rhyme or reason as to why sometimes the entire playlist shows versus just the one song? Anyone else have this happen to them. Is this normal?

Also, while I was on a phone call in the car connected via bluetooth, I ended the call by pressing the end button on my phone. This caused my idrive srceen to freeze on the "call ended" screen and it did not change back to my ipod playlist (the previous screen prior to the call). The screen actually went blank/turned off about 10 seconds later, then the "lawyer" screen came up and the idrive home menu screen. Is this normal? Anyone have this happen?

Should I call the SA?

Also for the LCI owners I remember reading of a possible software upgrade due to a "sluggish" transmission...anyone come across that or have more info?

Thanx in Advance
Old 06-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

anyone? guess it's just the e60 gremlins acting up then...
Old 06-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='601458' date='Jun 12 2008, 03:48 PM
So I've been noticing sometimes as I plug in my Ipod the idrive menu will only show the song that is playing and nothing else (not the playlist it is in). Other times the idrive screen will show the entire playlist the song playing is located in. I prefer the second occurrence more so I don't have to scroll thru the whole idrive menu to actually get to the playlist and choose songs. Is there any rhyme or reason as to why sometimes the entire playlist shows versus just the one song? Anyone else have this happen to them. Is this normal?

Also, while I was on a phone call in the car connected via bluetooth, I ended the call by pressing the end button on my phone. This caused my idrive srceen to freeze on the "call ended" screen and it did not change back to my ipod playlist (the previous screen prior to the call). The screen actually went blank/turned off about 10 seconds later, then the "lawyer" screen came up and the idrive home menu screen. Is this normal? Anyone have this happen?

Should I call the SA?

Also for the LCI owners I remember reading of a possible software upgrade due to a "sluggish" transmission...anyone come across that or have more info?

Thanx in Advance
As for the iPod issue, I have experienced this as well. All that I can tell is if you are listening to the iPod outside the car and hit "Now Playing" on the iPod to show the artist and song, and then put the iPod in the car, it maintains that view some how. Showing only the artist and song currently playing, nothing else on the playlist etc. Have seen it in my wife's X5 as well.

Never had the BT issue.

I would be interested in the tranny issue as mine seems sluggish at time, even in sport mode with the sport button pressed. Frankly I find it so poor in regular D mode that I no longer use it.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='601458' date='Jun 12 2008, 04:48 PM

Should I call the SA?

Thanx in Advance
not normal - call for an appt at the workshop
Old 06-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Thanx KS and J for your responses...will call SA monday...
Old 06-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 550i - Sport, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Active Seats, SmartPhone Adapter, split fold down seats.

They say you should 'control' a BT phone call via the iDrive as opposed to the phone. e.g., to end a call, press the controller doen and select 'end call' instead of ending the call from the phone. my 2 cents worth.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tmans' post='602602' date='Jun 14 2008, 10:36 AM
They say you should 'control' a BT phone call via the iDrive as opposed to the phone. e.g., to end a call, press the controller doen and select 'end call' instead of ending the call from the phone. my 2 cents worth.
who is "they" and why not?
Old 06-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='602647' date='Jun 14 2008, 02:55 PM
who is "they" and why not?
Don't know who "they" are but in a strange way it makes sense. If you are using the phone through the car's BT connection and then try an operation on the phone, I could see how that could cause an issue. Especially given the very robust software the BMW is using!
Old 06-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='602650' date='Jun 14 2008, 01:00 PM
Don't know who "they" are but in a strange way it makes sense. If you are using the phone through the car's BT connection and then try an operation on the phone, I could see how that could cause an issue. Especially given the very robust software the BMW is using!
Ha, sorry..didn't mean to come condescending with that last post...I'm just usally that guy in the crowd asking them to state their source...or checking the citation in the article and actually checks the reference list
Old 06-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 550i - Sport, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Active Seats, SmartPhone Adapter, split fold down seats.

"They" would be BMW. "Why" would be because the owners' manual (under 'Communication') says "avoid operating a mobile phone detected by the vehicle with the keypad of the mobile phone, otherwise malfunctions can occur".

Quick Reply: IPOD(6fl) and BT idrive weird behavior....