Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

iphone snap-in adapter from BMW now avail.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Hello all,

BMW is now selling a snap-in adapter for the iphone. BMW does not list it as compatible with the E60, but the dealer I ordered it from says he tried it and it will work with the E60 base plate (which I have in my car from my Razr snap in). It's expensive as s*$t for a piece of plastic - $140, but if it works, it's worth it. It should boost the signal tremendously using the shark fin antenna and charge the phone as well. I believe that the reason the E60 isn't listed as compatible by BMW is because the LCI cars will be able to play music through the snap-in, but pre-LCI cannot so they have to sort that out first.

I'll be happy if I can utilize the $300.00 snap in set up I loved with my razr. I'll post a follow up to indicate whether it works.

Regards,
DRP
Old 01-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if this would work with an ipod touch????
Old 01-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Members

My Ride: UK BMW 530d, registered 19Sep2003. Bluetooth, Business SatNav, Rear & side blinds, Business Radio, LOGIC7.

Surely the snap-in was only intended to connect a mobile phone to the outside ariel and power? Therefore connecting an iPod Touch wouldn't achieve anything.

Simon
Old 01-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='522840' date='Jan 25 2008, 04:53 PM
Hello all,

BMW is now selling a snap-in adapter for the iphone. BMW does not list it as compatible with the E60, but the dealer I ordered it from says he tried it and it will work with the E60 base plate (which I have in my car from my Razr snap in). It's expensive as s*$t for a piece of plastic - $140, but if it works, it's worth it. It should boost the signal tremendously using the shark fin antenna and charge the phone as well. I believe that the reason the E60 isn't listed as compatible by BMW is because the LCI cars will be able to play music through the snap-in, but pre-LCI cannot so they have to sort that out first.

I'll be happy if I can utilize the $300.00 snap in set up I loved with my razr. I'll post a follow up to indicate whether it works.

Regards,
DRP
Snapped in. Works as expected. charges and boosts signal. Around town I may not use it much because of in and out, and also you usually know where the poor reception areas are in your town so you can plug in as needed, but on an trip over 10-15 minutes my phone goes in the cradle. No more dropped calls on the highway!

DRP
Old 01-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 530xiT

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='524280' date='Jan 29 2008, 09:07 AM
Snapped in. Works as expected. charges and boosts signal. Around town I may not use it much because of in and out, and also you usually know where the poor reception areas are in your town so you can plug in as needed, but on an trip over 10-15 minutes my phone goes in the cradle. No more dropped calls on the highway!

DRP
I've also got a new iPhone and a old RAZR cradle. I've found that for longer trips its easy to pop out the sim card from the iPhone and put it back in my old RAZR to use in the cradle...works just fine.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Members

how are you guys finding it with voice instructions?

does bluetooth connection act up at all?
Old 01-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='522840' date='Jan 25 2008, 07:53 PM
Hello all,

Regards,
DRP
Cold you get the part number?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Contributors

Mine has the snap in for a Motorola V710 / E815 but now I have a Motorola Maxx (V6/V9).

Even though BT works great w/o actually plugging in the phone, is there a market for the old snap in? I'd consider buying a new adapter if I could get a few bucks for the old one.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Members

My Ride: [b]1993 Toyota Supra MKIV (6-speed Targa top) - SP67DBB Single Turbo[/b]

Does the iPhone connect to the external antenna through the physical connector or does it work by induction like on some previous snap-in adapters?
I'd like to know this because I am interested in boosting my signal but I don't want to put the iPhone in the center console. I prefer using the iPhone itself to dial numbers.

If the antenna connects throught the connector I can make an extension cable running from the dashboard to the center console.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:46 PM
Members

Has anyone installed the snap-in cradle themselves? I'd love to see a how-to posted

Quick Reply: iphone snap-in adapter from BMW now avail.