Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

iPhone integration

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, new to the forum, great resource so far! Hope someone here can offer advice on a specific question I have...

Just bought a CPO 2009 528i xDrive that came with Navigation, S639A and S6FLA options (I have AUX and USB ports in my center console). I had a local dealer install the ejector box and basic cradle for my iPhone 4 but all I got was charging of the phone (and connectivity to the antenna). I went to the dealer to try a media cradle but could not play music off my phone through iDrive controls. I can, however, play music through iDrive if I use the BMW supplied Y-cable. Dealer told me it's because I don't have the 6FL option in my car (they looked up my VIN). Is it possible to install 6FL without voiding my CPO warranty? So far dealer is telling me "it cannot be done, had to be ordered from the factory that way".

Appreciate any pointers here...Thanks!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I think thats all you will get. The phone should connect via bluetooth and the cradle will hold your phone and charge. The antenne should provide a little better coverage so I hear. I honestly would not have wasted my money on it though. I am sure you won't have that iphone 4 more than a year or two and then what will you do? Rumor has it that Apple will change their connector which falls under a Fedeeral law in Germany that all cell phones use a certain type of connector. Maybe they will have an adaptor for that cradle by then.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Members

I am hoping BMW will come out with a snap-in adapter for the next gen iPhone which is just a pop in replacement. The iPhone 4 cradle was only $100 something, the base is what costs money. But you're right, all I have now is a glorified iPhone charger. If the 6NF is just the base+cradle+software...seeing as how I have the base+cradle installed already, I would think they can re-code my vehicle to get the right software on it, no?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Not sure, I am still under the impression when I dioscussed this with the dealer a couple years ago that it only chages and uses the antenne. Not sure about any coding that would be needed.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Members

That was for the original snap-in adapter they came out with, all you got was charging and antenna. Later they released a "media snap-in adapter" that costs $200+ and supposed to let you play music off the iPhone using iPod controls. But I think it the needs 6NF option.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

This is my understanding:

If the car came with smartphone integration, it is basically a matter of having the right cable and right phone. If it did not come with smartphone integration and the snap-in adapter was added later, then no cable will allow you to access the music on the phone connected in the adapter.

Back in the iPhone 3G days, there were two Iphone adapters, one is designed for folk who don't have the Smartphone option. PN: 84109182792(2G)/84212151038(3G). This adapter allowed you charge and use the shark fin but doesn't let you play music. The adapter for the smartphone was PN: 84109164213 for the 2G phone and 84212151043 for the 3G phone. That adapter will allow you to play music.

Please clarify the smartphone-from-factory (called 6NF) question with your dealer before figuring out which cables and which phones would work. There are mixed reports whether this was even possible in the 5 series in the 2009 models. It was definitely possible for 3 and 7. 6NF definitely could not be retrofitted unless you want to upgrade the whole navigation system.

My solution has been to buy an adapter that will fit on the Y cable and charge it, while allowing it to play music. Not as fancy as a cradle, but it works. Or get a A2DP bluetooth adapter and play music over bluetooth when the phone is connected to the cradle.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
6NF definitely could not be retrofitted unless you want to upgrade the whole navigation system.
Is this the CIC/combox retrofit that people refer to on the forum?

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
My solution has been to buy an adapter that will fit on the Y cable and charge it, while allowing it to play music. Not as fancy as a cradle, but it works. Or get a A2DP bluetooth adapter and play music over bluetooth when the phone is connected to the cradle.
Would you mind sharing which adapter you are using with your Y cable?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swaggy
Is this the CIC/combox retrofit that people refer to on the forum?
Yes

Originally Posted by swaggy
Would you mind sharing which adapter you are using with your Y cable?
Thanks!
Read: https://5series.net/forums/topic/123853-iphone-4s/

First, there are two versions of the Y cable. Check if your Y cable actually is the newer one (PN 61120440812 and not older 61120440796). This cable usually charges an iPhone 4, but is very very slow in charging. The older cable will not charge your phone at all.

This is the adapter I have
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B003TJR2HS http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B003TJR2HS
for a-bit-quicker charging. It plus right on top of the Y cable. You can see the video here http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockStubz.html . This adapter more-so gets rid of the "this accessory is not supported" error. It has a plug on the side that I sometimes use for "quicker" charging when I am using navigation on my phone etc. Another similar adapter is this one http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/1667
There is also an official BMW version of this where the Y cable has an end that you can plug into the cig lighter socket.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Members

Thanks sahiljane

Looks like I have the newer Y Cable, strange as I did not think it charged the phone at all, probably because it's so slow like you said so it's barely noticeable

So the CableJive adapter you have works with the newer Y cable? Also, would be nice to keep the phone out of the center console when connected. The BMW Y Cable is so short and its hard to cram it in there with the Y cable and now this adapter. I will probably get conventional USB and mini phone extension for that.

Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

You can try the cablejive extender cable - don't quote me on it but I am sure I read someone on Amazon or bimmerfest review it saying he used it to extend the Y cable. Here is another discussion http://www.e90post.c...ad.php?t=585033

Don't try the 5$ cheap extender cables, I have one of those and they usually dont work for charging.

If your cable is charging natively, then do you really want to add an adapter on top of it? I have an adapter, but I rarely use it - I just let the phone charge slowly most of the time.