Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Iphone Aux Audio Adapter... Some Quick Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008 | 11:25 AM
Members

Alright, I'd like to be able to use my iphone much in the same way I did in my old car via the tape cassette adapter. I see that I can buy an Aux audio adapter and mount it somewhere such as the glovebox, where does this wire into just the back of my radio?

Secondly I'm reading the dealership needs to do some coding after I do this, around what will that run? Also, how will it work exactly will I get an "iPod" option listed where I have my FM AM CD in the iDrive settings? Will it display my song names in the idrive screen? And is there any way to switch songs through the iDrive? Some of these may be silly questions, just wanted to make sure I know what I'm getting into.
Old 07-05-2008 | 12:44 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 545i 12/2003 Black , interior Black Dakota leather. Shadow line. Heating steering wheel. Head-UP Display, Navigation Professional, Hifi, Comfort seats, heating seats, professional phone, chassis sport (don't know the translation.. ) Alarm, Skibag.

Originally Posted by itzstatic2k1' post='616974' date='Jul 5 2008, 09:25 PM
Alright, I'd like to be able to use my iphone much in the same way I did in my old car via the tape cassette adapter. I see that I can buy an Aux audio adapter and mount it somewhere such as the glovebox, where does this wire into just the back of my radio?

Secondly I'm reading the dealership needs to do some coding after I do this, around what will that run? Also, how will it work exactly will I get an "iPod" option listed where I have my FM AM CD in the iDrive settings? Will it display my song names in the idrive screen? And is there any way to switch songs through the iDrive? Some of these may be silly questions, just wanted to make sure I know what I'm getting into.
Hi,
You'll have "aux audio input" next to "FM" "AM" and "CD" With the ipod connection, you'll get the song name etc.. but with a simple jack, you only have a jack entry, that's all.
Old 07-05-2008 | 01:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by diedie' post='617016' date='Jul 5 2008, 04:44 PM
Hi,
You'll have "aux audio input" next to "FM" "AM" and "CD" With the ipod connection, you'll get the song name etc.. but with a simple jack, you only have a jack entry, that's all.

but with a simple jack, you only have a jack entry, that's all.

What do you mean by that? Vs doing what?
Old 07-05-2008 | 03:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

You have about 4 options.

1. Buy an FM modulator and connect it to your iPOD and tune it into your radio. Sounds the worst. You wont get the names on the screen.
2. Retrofit an AUX-IN. It will require a dealer install and program. Sounds good but again wont get the names on the screen.
3. Retrofit the BMW MOST interface. It will require a dealer install and program and you will loose the CD Changer. Sounds excellent and you get the names on the screen.
4. Install a Dension Gateway 500. It will require an aftermarket install but no program and you wont loose the CD Changer. Sounds excellent and you get the names on the screen.

Search on the board for more info on all these.
Old 07-06-2008 | 10:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='617079' date='Jul 5 2008, 07:07 PM
You have about 4 options.

1. Buy an FM modulator and connect it to your iPOD and tune it into your radio. Sounds the worst. You wont get the names on the screen.
2. Retrofit an AUX-IN. It will require a dealer install and program. Sounds good but again wont get the names on the screen.
3. Retrofit the BMW MOST interface. It will require a dealer install and program and you will loose the CD Changer. Sounds excellent and you get the names on the screen.
4. Install a Dension Gateway 500. It will require an aftermarket install but no program and you wont loose the CD Changer. Sounds excellent and you get the names on the screen.

Search on the board for more info on all these.
Think I'll be going w/ #3 as the Denison hardware is $500 from bumperplugs and the bluetooth is another $350.

Where do I get the MOST interface, is it purchased online or something from the dealer?
Old 07-06-2008 | 11:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 530D Sport E61

Originally Posted by itzstatic2k1' post='617501' date='Jul 6 2008, 07:31 PM
Think I'll be going w/ #3 as the Denison hardware is $500 from bumperplugs and the bluetooth is another $350.

Where do I get the MOST interface, is it purchased online or something from the dealer?
Its a dealer supply, it can be fitted yourself but will need the dealer to code -I hope ur sitting down when they give u the price!
Old 07-06-2008 | 05:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rossman_999' post='617554' date='Jul 6 2008, 03:58 PM
Its a dealer supply, it can be fitted yourself but will need the dealer to code -I hope ur sitting down when they give u the price!
More expensive then the Denison will be?
Old 07-08-2008 | 05:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rossman_999' post='617554' date='Jul 6 2008, 08:58 PM
This re-coding bit confuses me a little - does it vary from spec to spec?. For example I got my BMW iPod MOST supplied and fitted in about an hour by my local car audio dealer (who also fits them for the local BMW dealer). The car already had MP3 enabled and did not require re-coding - the iPod i/f just worked.

BTW I also had the car taken to the latest CIP vesion last week - and was charged only ?170!!!
Old 07-09-2008 | 08:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cjbryce' post='618695' date='Jul 8 2008, 02:15 PM
This re-coding bit confuses me a little - does it vary from spec to spec?. For example I got my BMW iPod MOST supplied and fitted in about an hour by my local car audio dealer (who also fits them for the local BMW dealer). The car already had MP3 enabled and did not require re-coding - the iPod i/f just worked.

BTW I also had the car taken to the latest CIP vesion last week - and was charged only ?170!!!
Hi, first post, collecting my 04 E60 tomorrow.

This iPOD upgrade can get a bit confusing, and am thinking about going with Option 4 (Dension 500) a few posts back. Does the MP3 have to be enabled or would it be in that state with a CD changer installed.

Excuse my ignorance but what is CIP, is it the OBC software? Is there any way of telling the version from the system controls, or tell if it has been updated via service history etc?

Many Thanks

Alan