Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

iPhone from Apple with BT 2.0 EDR

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 335i Sedan

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='379154' date='Jan 16 2007, 05:14 PM
Some of these things are why I like the iPhone over other phones. I own a Mac and don't care if it syncs with anyone else's applications. I'm happy it only responds to skin touch, that way I don't have to worry about something touching it and messing up what I was doing. I like that it has no removable battery, I've never removed a battery on any of my phones ever. I don't need GPS, my car has it, and I've never used voice dialing, so these options would be a waste of memory.

Although I do dislike that it has to be Cingular, that there is no memory expansion slot (although it's not that big of a deal, 8GB is probably gunna be fine for me), and that you can't even view or edit Office documents because OS X can do that so it seems like that should be possible.

I definitely understand why some people would want all of these options, especially if it's for a business phone, but for me this phone seems like someone finally gave me everything I want and would actually use.
thank you, someone speaks honestly about the phone.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='379154' date='Jan 16 2007, 05:14 PM
Some of these things are why I like the iPhone over other phones. I own a Mac and don't care if it syncs with anyone else's applications. I'm happy it only responds to skin touch, that way I don't have to worry about something touching it and messing up what I was doing. I like that it has no removable battery, I've never removed a battery on any of my phones ever. I don't need GPS, my car has it, and I've never used voice dialing, so these options would be a waste of memory.

Although I do dislike that it has to be Cingular, that there is no memory expansion slot (although it's not that big of a deal, 8GB is probably gunna be fine for me), and that you can't even view or edit Office documents because OS X can do that so it seems like that should be possible.

I definitely understand why some people would want all of these options, especially if it's for a business phone, but for me this phone seems like someone finally gave me everything I want and would actually use.
That is what I called the Apple Die-hard fans Also, that why even US has 3G phones available, but not a major selling phone as in Asian or Japanese....
Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Simple1' post='379353' date='Jan 17 2007, 12:23 AM
thank you, someone speaks honestly about the phone.
Will you say the same when the MacPhone does not synch with your E60? :thumbsdown:
Old 01-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by lcc014' post='379503' date='Jan 17 2007, 10:00 AM
That is what I called the Apple Die-hard fans Also, that why even US has 3G phones available, but not a major selling phone as in Asian or Japanese....

What do you mean about "major selling phone"? If you mean to communicate that none of the major Asian market phones are available in the US, there's a good reason. The frequencies are different in the US for UMTS HSDPA than they are in the rest of the world. Cingular operates a UMTS HSDPA network in the US, but the iPhone is not compatible. Verizon and Sprint operate EV-DO rev 0 networks and rev A networks (in select markets), delivering 400-800Kbps on the forward link, and 115 and as much as double that on the reverse link with rev A. Sprint's future plans are to use mobile WiMax. Verizon will likely continue along the EV-DO path, which offers as much promise as any of the other 4G technologies. EV-DO, HSDPA, and WiMax all plan to be using OFDM within a few iterations, which means they'll all be near 100Mbps in a few years.

Regardless, the 1.0 iPhone will not be able to take advantage of high speeds, just EDGE. I remember back when I first saw a live EDGE demo at Ericsson in '99... it was cool. Took too long to reach the market, and now it's far too slow. Forget the business phone argument - if you want to stream media content, fun stuff - stuff the Apple faithful want to consume, EDGE just isn't enough BW. The next iPhone may hold some promise though. GSM probably was the easiest way forward, since more of the world can utilize it. I still think the non-removable battery is a big mistake, especially for a device that will be sucking batteries dry. I guess when the "video marathon" drains the battery and you need to make a call, you're SOL. There really should be a way to swap the dead battery for a fully-charged spare.

To the OP, I'm pretty sure that the car and the phone will sync, but I doubt the connection will take advantage of the faster rate.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

Originally Posted by wnrussell' post='379643' date='Jan 17 2007, 03:44 PM
Will you say the same when the MacPhone does not synch with your E60? :thumbsdown:
why would it not sync with the car when it uses the latest Bluetooth protocol? and most mobile phones on the market don't even have protocol 2 EDR and they sync fine. Are you trying to tell me the bluetooth consortium would break the funtionality of 2.0 where it wouldn't work with products that have version 1? because I waiting to hear you back it up. Instead of saying nothing by posting a baseless rant about technology you have no information on,try google it's your friend. I'm not an apple fanatic just wish you would stop stating your guesstimations as fact. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Old 01-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Simple1' post='380857' date='Jan 20 2007, 12:18 AM
why would it not sync with the car when it uses the latest Bluetooth protocol? and most mobile phones on the market don't even have protocol 2 EDR and they sync fine. Are you trying to tell me the bluetooth consortium would break the funtionality of 2.0 where it wouldn't work with products that have version 1? because I waiting to hear you back it up.
The protocol means nothing; it is just the foundation of several BT profiles that are needed. Yes, I am sorry to tell you that carriers are in control of OEM phone makers. The Bluetooth standard is not enforced. Why does the Motorola V710 work with BMW but the LG Chocolate does not...Why will the V3 RAZR work with a Lexus when the V3c does not. Why do some phones work and others do not? The carriers block file transfer. They are allowed to 'pick and choose' whether Synch & FTP profiles are allowed on a phone or not. Or whether other BT profiles will be allowed on a phone instead.

Yes, I am here to tell you that the Bluetooth standard is lame, and it does not care about interoperability. Why = $$. The same reason you can not transfer a photo image across a room using certain carriers or handsets. Carrier revenue; why push a BT contact to your car for free when they can force that contact over the paid subscriber network?

http://www.canyouhearusnow.net/bluetooth/

Ever think why you can't just buy a Bluetooth phone with that logo on it and it works with any BT car like in Europe, but you need to refer to a "compatibility matrix" to see if it will work with an E60 in the US?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wnrussell' post='380869' date='Jan 20 2007, 01:02 AM
Yes, I am here to tell you that the Bluetooth standard is lame, and it does not care about interoperability. Why = $$. The same reason you can not transfer a photo image across a room using certain carriers or handsets. Carrier revenue; why push a BT contact to your car for free when they can force that contact over the paid subscriber network?
Sounds like you're beef is with Verizon Wireless not BT itself.

But you're partially right. BT will not guarantee compatibility if the profile you need is not supported.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='381075' date='Jan 20 2007, 03:02 PM
Sounds like you're beef is with Verizon Wireless not BT itself.

But you're partially right. BT will not guarantee compatibility if the profile you need is not supported.
Well, Verizon took the lead but most of the CDMA carriers in the US and Canada are doing it now too. Bluetooth should not require the customer to understand profiles. It doesn't cost anything to put Object Exchange, Synchronization and Object Push on the same phone, except for the carrier's fear of losing sales on airtime, ringtones, media and games. The 'Beef' is really with Bluetooth SIG for allowing it to happen; qualifying the phones and watching the carrier strip them down with a proprietary user interface.

Back on topic though, Apple will surely want to protect it's media. The phone will not download music and video over the carrier networks. I don't expect them to allow BT synch with much more than a PC and a headset. The 'Beef' is really with Bluetooth SIG for allowing it to happen; qualifying the phones and watching the carrier strip them down with a proprietary user interface.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wnrussell' post='381138' date='Jan 20 2007, 08:28 PM
Back on topic though, Apple will surely want to protect it's media. The phone will not download music and video over the carrier networks. I don't expect them to allow BT synch with much more than a PC and a headset.
BT was adopted very early by Apple. All their laptops pretty much support it and same goes for their desktops. While I don't expect the iPhone to sync with a desktop to transfer 8GB of music I do expect some open transfer to happen.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='381244' date='Jan 21 2007, 10:09 AM
While I don't expect the iPhone to sync with a desktop to transfer 8GB of music I do expect some open transfer to happen.
Well, that is the exact problem the carriers have. In blocking Bluetooth ringtone and media transfer, they often have to lock out contact synch or contact push.

Actually, I think that Apple wants you to buy the music from them via your computer and then transfer it to your i Device. We will see...

Quick Reply: iPhone from Apple with BT 2.0 EDR