Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Iphone 5 in car use...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all.

First posting on here after buying my new car at the weekend (2008 5 series), please be gentle!

I tried to look high and low for an answer on here but I think im a bit behind times on a few things so here goes:

I want to play music from my iphone 5 through the car.

I noticed there is an aux port in the back of the armrest. Can someone let me know what cables i need (not even sure if they sell Iphone 5 ones yet). Is it simply a case of plugging it and and selecting Aux from IDrive?

Also what is Pandora?? I keep seeing this!!!

thanks!!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Do you see AUX-IN option on the iDrive?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by pcy
Do you see AUX-IN option on the iDrive?
I am pretty sure it is there, I will check when next in the car and report back!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Members

My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

Just go to radio shack or best buy and ask them for the 6ft aux cable for the car, plug one end in the rear of the arm rest, one on your iphone, go to you idrive entertainment menu and look for Aux, hit play on your iphone and you will be jammin in no time. Pandora is just a free internet radio, really good app i use it all the time, make sure you go to settings on the app, then go to Advanced and make sure higher quality audio is on..

You know sometimes my bass goes off for like 2 seconds and comes, only when im using my aux cable, doesnt happen while listening to the radio, and i have tried diff aux cables,,... ill have to look into that
Old 09-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

So I take it your IPhone 5 synced with no issues via BT? I have a 2006 E60 and my company ordered me a new Apple phone, nervous about it working hands-free.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Members

My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

I have an iphone 4s and my e60 is an 07, they work perfect together, i order the i5 and i dont see why it wouldnt work the same
Old 09-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

You have several diffrent options. You could go with the AUX, all you have to do is get a regular cable plug into earphone and the aux port at back of armrest. This option however does not provide you with control of the iphone throgh your CCC or MASK and does not charge the device.

You could also get the BMW ipod interface which has to be installed and coded or you could also get the denision 500 which is also an interface for your ipod/iphone. From what I have read most is of the opinion that the denision is a better option because the BMW interface has a limited amount of tracks it can display at once while their is no suck limitation on the denision. Both has to be installed and coded but both provide you with actual control of the ipod through the CCC or MASK interface. (works great when you have a ipod rather than an iphone, you can just leave it in the glovebox and forget about it, also charges the ipod).
Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Members

Its kind of been said above, but I think for a audio fidelity perspective, your best bet is to connect via Bluetooth.

I cant imagine your new ride not having that option. Its in the idrive under telephone or bluetooth & goes hand in hand w/ doing BT phone calls (if you have one you have both).

The advantage there is you get some limited control through the idrive as well as the bluetooth protocal (A2DP) standard allows for this.

bluetooth audio will be better quality than the headset jack audio from any device. Headset jacks audio is adjusted for headphones (everyone does it different, but its not pure) & relys on amplification from the device to get a good signal out.

Thats why the best audio connections pull from the base connector, in this case the Dock Connector (now a new cool version, used to be 30 pin).

Hierarchy of fidelity is:

Dock connector digital
Dock connector analog
Bluetooth connection
Headset Jack connection
FM Audio Transmission
Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Gee_115
You have several diffrent options. You could go with the AUX, all you have to do is get a regular cable plug into earphone and the aux port at back of armrest. This option however does not provide you with control of the iphone throgh your CCC or MASK and does not charge the device.

You could also get the BMW ipod interface which has to be installed and coded or you could also get the denision 500 which is also an interface for your ipod/iphone. From what I have read most is of the opinion that the denision is a better option because the BMW interface has a limited amount of tracks it can display at once while their is no suck limitation on the denision. Both has to be installed and coded but both provide you with actual control of the ipod through the CCC or MASK interface. (works great when you have a ipod rather than an iphone, you can just leave it in the glovebox and forget about it, also charges the ipod).

The only problem is the I5 uses a completely new interface. Even the the apple adapter only supports audio and charging. NO iPod, out meaning you can't control it and (hope I'm wrong ) you can't even see the play list. My guess is your best bet is connecting via Bluetooth if that.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 AM
New Members

Default iPhone 5/BMW 520 MSport

Ok, so my iPhone 5 plays Voice Notes and Siri through my stereo via BT, however I can't find an option anywhere to stream my music through it too. It's a 2007 model... why would those options work but not music? I confused!

Quick Reply: Iphone 5 in car use...