Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

iphone

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007 | 09:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

Is iphone compatible with the BMW bluetooth?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2007 | 09:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by juventus' post='411055' date='Apr 7 2007, 01:42 AM
Is iphone compatible with the BMW bluetooth?

Thanks in advance.
No way to tell. Good chance but there are some many variables.
Old 04-06-2007 | 09:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

No reason why it shouldn't, should be made according to Bluetooth specifications.
Old 04-07-2007 | 11:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

It should work. If it didn't, then it would be an absolute joke. But knowing how Apple does business, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work on the first generation iPhone. Apple loves to leave out basic functions, and then add them later on but only for new devices. Then they act like they're the nicest people in the world.... "Ohhhh look how we listened to our customers.... aren't we great? But your existing iPhone won't get the upgrade, even though it's just software. You need to go buy another one." :thumbsdown:

At least, that's what they do with iPods.
Old 04-07-2007 | 01:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by blinkme_210' post='411062' date='Apr 7 2007, 01:51 AM
No reason why it shouldn't, should be made according to Bluetooth specifications.

Care to elaborate? Most Bluetooth enabled phones don?t work with our cars. Only a small percentage (less than 1/3) come close to full compatibility.
Old 04-07-2007 | 02:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='411211' date='Apr 7 2007, 05:19 PM

Care to elaborate? Most Bluetooth enabled phones don?t work with our cars. Only a small percentage (less than 1/3) come close to full compatibility.
From my experience the majority do work. It's the carriers that mess up the phones ability to be fully compatible (for the possible exception of Nokia).
Old 04-07-2007 | 02:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='411178' date='Apr 7 2007, 03:13 PM
It should work. If it didn't, then it would be an absolute joke. But knowing how Apple does business, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work on the first generation iPhone. Apple loves to leave out basic functions, and then add them later on but only for new devices. Then they act like they're the nicest people in the world.... "Ohhhh look how we listened to our customers.... aren't we great? But your existing iPhone won't get the upgrade, even though it's just software. You need to go buy another one." :thumbsdown:

At least, that's what they do with iPods.
I'm not trying to hijack the thread here but I can't think of what feature they've done that with on the iPod. Help me out. What basic function was left out of the iPod and later added that is only a software update that didn't roll out to older iPods that could support the feature?
Old 04-07-2007 | 03:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='411219' date='Apr 7 2007, 06:14 PM
I'm not trying to hijack the thread here but I can't think of what feature they've done that with on the iPod. Help me out. What basic function was left out of the iPod and later added that is only a software update that didn't roll out to older iPods that could support the feature?

Gapless Playback. (The ability for the device to play from one track into another without an audible pause in the music. Essential for live albums, classical music, and dance music mixed compilations) This most basic feature has been around since the invention of the CD player.

Other MP3 players have had it for many years. (Example: Rio Karma)

For Apple, this feature was not introduced until the 5G iPods and 2G iPod Nano were released.
Until then, the only way to get gapless playback for your albums was to rip the CD as a single, long audio file. This method would give you gapless performance, but you lost the ability to skip forward or back by track numbers, and to see the tracklisting. Another unfortunate consequence was that larger audio files wear down the batteries much faster on hard-drive based iPods because the drive never stops accessing. (With smaller files, the drive only accesses long enough to load the audio file into the cache. Then the drive can stop spinning temporarily to save battery power.)

The most annoying apsect of this issue was that this gapless playback feature was simply a firmware upgrade. This was proven some years ago when third-party firmware like RockBox was introduced. With an older model iPod, and Rockbox firmware you could get true Gapless Playback. (i.e. CDs ripped as individual tracks which then could be played seamlessly as intended) Since this could be achieved with existing iPod hardware without any modification other than the firmware update, we know that there were no hardware limitations which prevented Apple from adding this feature.

Last year, Apple head Steve Jobs introduced the new 5th generation video iPod with 80 gig capacity, as well as the new 2nd generation Nano. One of his key points of his speech was that Apple had listened to the millions of customers over the years and finally introduced one of the most heavily requested features - Gapless Playback. But guess what? It was only available for....... 5th Generation iPod Video, and 2nd generation Nanos. As a side note, the 5th Generation Video iPod had already been available for several months before this speech. And for those iPods the Gapless Playback feature was available through a firmware update. But for people like me, and many others, who only have 4th Generation iPods, or 1st Generation Nanos.... we have been left out. The new iPod firmware does not give us Gapless Playback. Instead, we are told to go out an buy newer models.

Now..... you remember what I told you above? For several years, a company has been producing a third-party firmware for the iPod called Rockbox. (You can check it out here: www.rockbox.org ) One of the features of this firmware is that it allows Gapless Playback on older iPod models, including the 4th Generation iPod which I own. So, clearly one cannot claim that Apple does not have the ability to give us 4G iPod owners this wonderful upgrade due to a hardware limitation.

The ONLY conclusion which can be drawn is that Apple decided to not support older iPod models with the firmware update. And the reason for this is simple. They don't want us to be happy with our iPods. They want us to go out and buy new ones. Well, that's bullshit if you ask me. If you create a simple software upgrade which could give your loyal customers a new feature on their existing equipment, then I think an honest company should allow those customers to benefit. It was people like us who requested this feature in the first place. Why would you take our idea, and then snub us like that? It might make sense financially to force people to buy new iPods, but you risk alienating the people who are smart enough to pay attention.

When this first happened, the iPod Support Discussion boards made quick notice of this issue. And when the users on the iPod discussion boards raised their frustrations about this fact, Apple employees would immediately delete all threads about the topic. Absolutely shameless.

So, I have pretty much decided I will never purchase another Apple product again. They are a blatantly dishonest company and I refuse to support them, since they refused to support me.
Old 04-08-2007 | 08:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='411217' date='Apr 7 2007, 06:12 PM
From my experience the majority do work. It's the carriers that mess up the phones ability to be fully compatible (for the possible exception of Nokia).
The mobile operators haven't meddled in this for a while.

But the majority of mobile phones are most emphatically NOT compatible.

Out of the 25 Bluetooth-enabled phones I have here, only 9 are fully compatible.
Old 04-08-2007 | 08:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='411591' date='Apr 8 2007, 10:10 PM
The mobile operators haven't meddled in this for a while.

But the majority of mobile phones are most emphatically NOT compatible.

Out of the 25 Bluetooth-enabled phones I have here, only 9 are fully compatible.
I assumed compatible as meaning, can dial calls hands free. Since I've had the car, all my friends wanted to see the Bluetooth in action. Subsequently I paired their phones up with the E60 and worked fine. That is what I assumed the OP meant by compatible.

Now if you're talking about full phone book transfer and what not, then yes, there aren't many.

Quick Reply: iphone