Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Iceman, Please Forward This Post to BMW

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by nicknec' date='Nov 5 2004, 09:06 PM
[quote name='gdavis' date='Nov 2 2004, 11:21 AM']nicknec,

It would be great to hear back on your trial. That ought to be a phone for many of us to move toward if the BT is compatible!

thanks
[snapback]52104[/snapback]
gdavis,

I just came back from my dealer, Motor Werks (same dealer pharding did his upgrade at) , and did a quick test with my Motorola V3 RAZR on an '05. My brother who is the Electrical Engineering Mgr. for Motorola on the RAZR was with me at the time.

We were able to get the RAZR to pair the RAZR no problem. I use T-Mobile and all seemed to work fine. We only had time for a quick test but it encountered no problems. My brother reiterated that if the V700 works the RAZR should, since Motorola used the same BT chipset and software on the RAZR.

I am going back next week for a more extensive test and to set an appointment for the BT upgrade. I will follow up again after that. The RAZR is truely a great phone and hopefully will be a good option for everyone, once released in the U.S.. Cingular just picked it up and should release it soon.
[snapback]53121[/snapback]
[/quote]
nicknec, tku vm indeed for the good news,
RAZR suits best (besides Noika 8910i) at the mom the e60 profile (unfly pnonebook configurations compared to Noika being its weak point) in my opinion. Hope BMW could "promptly" provide us with a cradle for it.
I wonder if you the phone book and simcard data is also trasmitted automatically without any problem?
Old 11-06-2004, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Listed below is the unofficial response from BMW to my message to him and his review of my Iceman Bluetooth post. I knew if anyone could get response it would be the Iceman. I told everyone that he was a god or least a prophet. "We are not worthy....we are not worthy". The BMW engineer's response offers insights into the challenges of Bluetooth. The people to lobby for improvements in the US Market is BMW NA. It does not look good for pre-March 03 e60s for Bluetooth. It looks like my offer to be a test driver in the US for the new M5 is not going anyplace. I appreciate his personal interest in our Bluettoth issues. The text marked > are from my original message to him.

Hi,
>Thank you. I am happy to help BMW.
>It is fitting that I was first.

>http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=4084
I've read the post. If you have not done it yet, please post this complain via BMWNA to BMW. Only the complaints going this way are counted when deciding which changes will be done to the stuff.

The forums are helpful for us to get the background of customer experiences but BMWNA is the only "official" speaker for the american market. Their opinions sometimes differ a lot from the german way of thinking... ( e.g. packages vs. single options )

The problem is that the CDMA network is only used in the US ( for now ) so the TCU ( the computer controlling the phone ) has to be developed an tested by an american company ( i don't know who does it ). So for integrating the stuff lots of test samples fly over the atlantic both directions... So unfortunally the US phone stuff will be behind in quality ...
The GSM phones we can have tested and developed by a german company here with much faster develop/test cycles...

> There is huge interest in Bluetooth Technology
Of course, but BT is also hard to do with different phone vendors understanding the BT standard differently... That's the reason why it is not yet generally available. If we only had to support one phone manufacturer everything would be easy ...

> BMW would score a lot of points with e60 Owners if Bluetooth
> was available as a retrofit for all e60s.
It will be available for the newer ones, where it's only a software thingy. About the older ones which need hardware changes, i am not sure if they will be supported. There is a lot of labour to pay to exchange a wiring harness and maybe some mechanics will do this wrong...
So there may be the decision not to offer this...

I bet you got it only after having signed a stack of paper, so that BMW is not responsible for any faults... ;-) And you seem to got knowlegable mechanics..

>If you would like me to try out anything related to this, please do not >hesitate to contact me.
Please understand that i will not email, because this would show my email adress and we are not allowed to talk to customers... That's what the customer service department is for ...

>Or if you need a test driver for the new M5 in the US, I would be happy to >help there also.
Ha,ha, i would offer myself and even pay the flight myself ..., but im afraid the M-Group got it's own testdrivers which know how to handle that beast.
Did you know the car is designed for 1.4g side acceleration force ? These M-.. guys are somehow crazy...

Cheers ...
Old 11-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Good to see you've got a response!
Old 11-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' date='Nov 5 2004, 08:47 PM
[quote name='gdavis' date='Nov 5 2004, 09:34 PM']hunt down a razr.
[snapback]53125[/snapback]
I just saw one on ebay, unlocked, its currently at $1,680.00 :'(
Just to much money for me to spend in a phone
[snapback]53164[/snapback]
[/quote]
don't pay anything over $600 for v3, aka razr. i've seen a lot of them on ebay sold for under $600.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Nov 6 2004, 03:48 AM
Nick:

What is the best way to get a good price on the? RAZR?? Thanks.
[snapback]53209[/snapback]
either ebay or we all get a group buy from nicknec .
Old 11-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Nov 6 2004, 07:48 AM
Nick:

What is the best way to get a good price on the? RAZR?? Thanks.
[snapback]53209[/snapback]

pharding,

Sorry I do not recall who you currenlty use for your cellular serice- I know at somepoint in all these BT threads you mentioned it.

At this point I do know, Cingular will start offering the V3 in about a week.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Senior Members

Watch out for people offering a "On a side deal" on ebay for the purchase of a RAZR cell phone, I stumped over one on ebay, it sounded like a big scam, he was offering them at $300 free shipping and he was supposed to be sending those from Europe. Of course no contact data and money had to be sent via Western Union prior to shipping....