Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Iceman, Please Forward This Post to BMW

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nicknec,

It would be great to hear back on your trial. That ought to be a phone for many of us to move toward if the BT is compatible!

thanks
Old 11-02-2004, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by katmai' date='Nov 2 2004, 02:10 AM
Hormazd,

Which dealer did you use?? Who is your Service Advisor?? I would like to find out my car with the VIN can be retrofitted with the software only solution.?

James

[snapback]52022[/snapback]
Bob Smith BMW in Calabasas. Service Adisor is Irene. Foreman of the shop is Giovanni.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Nov 2 2004, 10:21 AM
nicknec,

It would be great to hear back on your trial. That ought to be a phone for many of us to move toward if the BT is compatible!

thanks
[snapback]52104[/snapback]
GDavis, your analysis is probably bang on. Which would confirm that whether you use a Razor, Nokia, Siemens, CDMA, TDMA or GSM. The ball is squarely in BMW's court.

In the interim, I am hoping for something like this:

I know that no hands free solution that involves the mic not being close to the mouth will come close to those that do. The headset I bought easily unpairs with the phone when I turn it off. I wonder if I could prioritize it higher than the car. That way I can use the full functionality of BT through the car for dialing and receiving calls. Then open the headset and it will override the car connection so that I can speak. Then when I close it, the car will pair. That would actually be preferable for me than the speaker and mic in the car. We will see. I will keep you all posted. Will hopefully pickup today. But I have a shit load of work to do because I am spending tooooo much time on this forum and BT. Also have to vote.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I've got a first response email from BMW customer service, telling me, that the email has been forwarded to the responsible department and someone will get in touch with me (or hopefully you, pharding) soon.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Nov 2 2004, 11:21 AM
nicknec,

thanks
[snapback]52104[/snapback]
gdavis,

I just came back from my dealer, Motor Werks (same dealer pharding did his upgrade at) , and did a quick test with my Motorola V3 RAZR on an '05. My brother who is the Electrical Engineering Mgr. for Motorola on the RAZR was with me at the time.

We were able to get the RAZR to pair the RAZR no problem. I use T-Mobile and all seemed to work fine. We only had time for a quick test but it encountered no problems. My brother reiterated that if the V700 works the RAZR should, since Motorola used the same BT chipset and software on the RAZR.

I am going back next week for a more extensive test and to set an appointment for the BT upgrade. I will follow up again after that. The RAZR is truely a great phone and hopefully will be a good option for everyone, once released in the U.S.. Cingular just picked it up and should release it soon.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

nicknec,

cool news! That phone is great stuff and where we should be headed instead of those v60s or v600s (or v700 or whatever) or other outdated models.

just gotta wait now to grab a razr once they hit the states, or pay thru the noze and order one from abroad!

but now I'm convinced to get the BT retrofit and hunt down a razr. it's one slick phone!

Let us know how the retrofit goes and if you learn any more about razr's compatibility.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Members

Then of course there's the new Treo 650 that's coming out which is the Palm Phone with Bluetooth. The Treo 650 forums are almost as enthusiastic about that impending phone as this forum is about the E60!
Old 11-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Nov 5 2004, 09:34 PM
hunt down a razr.
[snapback]53125[/snapback]
I just saw one on ebay, unlocked, its currently at $1,680.00 :'(
Just to much money for me to spend in a phone
Old 11-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Nov 2 2004, 02:41 PM
After thinking through the comments from Pharding on the BT challenges, I came to a realization.

Pharding mentioned that when he turned down the speaker volume, the audio became much higher quality for those listening from the other end.? This is a classic case of 'audio feedback' loop not being managed well.

There is a part of the audio system when using the BT phone connection that is automatically balancing the levels between the mic and the speakers to prevent that loud 'squeal' when a speaker's volume is too loud and allows the speaker's sound to loop back into the mic and create that annoying squeal. What may be at play here is the automatic sensor in the software that senses the possibility of the squeal starting, continues to reduce the mic's sensitivity.? It uses the speaker volume manual adjustment by the driver as the 'set-point' and then lowers the mic sensitivity to avoid squeal. It also has to adjust these things with ambient road and wind noise in the background, not easy.

If these assumptions are correct, it could be that further tweaking of the software could improve it.? Let's see what Iceman finds out from his contact.

BTW, (not that this would help the audio quality at all) for those who are frustrated with the BT phones being phased out, new phones with BT come out all the time, why not look into the new motorola RAZR which has BT (is all world regions GSM) and is just coming onto the market?? Now we need someone with a BT car to start trying out all these new phones?
[snapback]52055[/snapback]
Hi I also think that this is the reason and that it hopefully can be fixed with a sw update. I had 13.3 installed this week and alldough I did not have the time to try it as much as I would like I think the sound quality improved. My former BMW had the BMW factory installed dect phone that had an excelent quality, so audio feedback should cause no problems and I think here it does cause the problem. Also what I think is that the hw e.g. the idrive hardware that BMW uses is to slow now for the software that is used which causes the a.o. long boot times. It's like windows. The newer and bigger and more sofisticated the sw the faster pc you will need to have some speed. Try installing windows xp on an older pc and you will notice that it is very slow, while with the old dos its very fast. I hope it will not cause any problems for the future and with every new sw version the booting and response time becomes longer.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Nick:

What is the best way to get a good price on the RAZR? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Iceman, Please Forward This Post to BMW