Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

I have Cell Phone iDrive fever, what is . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 07:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Presley348' date='Apr 27 2005, 07:49 AM
[quote name='Sans' date='Apr 27 2005, 10:20 AM'][quote name='Presley348' date='Apr 27 2005, 04:41 AM'][quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 27 2005, 01:10 AM'][quote name='Presley348' date='Apr 26 2005, 06:16 PM']I believe it was: 6-03
[snapback]120551[/snapback]
Are you absolutely sure? I thought E60 production began 09/03. If your build date is after March 04 then Bluetooth is the way to go.
[snapback]120593[/snapback]
[/quote]

=================

Hormazd:

As I said in my post above: "I believe it was: 6-03", , now I could be mistaken on the month, but I know by records it was built in 2003 in Germany.

R. Eddie Presley
[snapback]120672[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're right Hormazd, US started in 09/03.

In any event though, some folks have been getting new TCU's for around $1000 I believe. You'd still need to get the phone but if you're savy you may be able to score one for free off the Cingular website - they run promos occasionally for the T637 which is completely compatible.

Another option (gaming it a little) is going to your dealer with one of the standard complaints (radio mute problem, window trap error, whatever) asking for the software upgrade (wait till your dealer has 16.2) and hoping for an incompatibility and a new TCU required under warranty for free. It's a long shot but it has happened.
[snapback]120764[/snapback]
[/quote]

==================

WOW, and thanks a lot for your posting, (SEE ABOVE), I never knew all that BMW IDrive and cell phone jargon, and now I will have the right questions to ask my parts man at BMW dealer!

Like most every e 60 BMW owner I want the most bang for my buck...I just had my Bimmer in for a recall ce: emissions concerning reprogramming the iDrive software which they said took nine hours to reprogram my entire system for this BMW recall, would this recall by chance to include 16.2 thing? I did not when I got it back it came with a few more options, and a couple taking out, that I did not have on the other iDrive software)

Now I read you said the T637 is the one to get, now I have a Motorola V-60 Verizon carrier will this work with my e60, or should I go with Cingular wireless for my carrier, or does it matter?

(I have learn by my e60 Vs Replica rim experience, and with the new e60 being so precise and near perfect, I better save my $$ and wait until I can afford for my 530i, and stay with my BMW dealer on not only those replica rim issues, but now on their e60 iDrive recommendations as well. All though I like saving my $$, without reducing the quality we are a custom to with our new BMW's)

Also don't laugh too much, but where can I locate my build date on my e60? (LOL)
(I just remember my BMW salesman: Mr: Guzman last April 04, saying my 2004 530i was built last year in Germany in May or June 2003, and then shipped to the BMW South Carolina port then to Atlanta)

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley
[snapback]120778[/snapback]
[/quote]

Call BMWNA and give them your VIN, and they'll tell you the exact day the car was produced.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

Originally Posted by stream' date='Apr 27 2005, 11:09 AM
[quote name='Presley348' date='Apr 27 2005, 07:49 AM'][quote name='Sans' date='Apr 27 2005, 10:20 AM'][quote name='Presley348' date='Apr 27 2005, 04:41 AM'][quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 27 2005, 01:10 AM'][quote name='Presley348' date='Apr 26 2005, 06:16 PM']I believe it was: 6-03
[snapback]120551[/snapback]
Are you absolutely sure? I thought E60 production began 09/03. If your build date is after March 04 then Bluetooth is the way to go.
[snapback]120593[/snapback]
[/quote]

=================

Hormazd:

As I said in my post above: "I believe it was: 6-03", , now I could be mistaken on the month, but I know by records it was built in 2003 in Germany.

R. Eddie Presley
[snapback]120672[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're right Hormazd, US started in 09/03.

In any event though, some folks have been getting new TCU's for around $1000 I believe. You'd still need to get the phone but if you're savy you may be able to score one for free off the Cingular website - they run promos occasionally for the T637 which is completely compatible.

Another option (gaming it a little) is going to your dealer with one of the standard complaints (radio mute problem, window trap error, whatever) asking for the software upgrade (wait till your dealer has 16.2) and hoping for an incompatibility and a new TCU required under warranty for free. It's a long shot but it has happened.
[snapback]120764[/snapback]
[/quote]

==================

WOW, and thanks a lot for your posting, (SEE ABOVE), I never knew all that BMW IDrive and cell phone jargon, and now I will have the right questions to ask my parts man at BMW dealer!

Like most every e 60 BMW owner I want the most bang for my buck...I just had my Bimmer in for a recall ce: emissions concerning reprogramming the iDrive software which they said took nine hours to reprogram my entire system for this BMW recall, would this recall by chance to include 16.2 thing? I did not when I got it back it came with a few more options, and a couple taking out, that I did not have on the other iDrive software)

Now I read you said the T637 is the one to get, now I have a Motorola V-60 Verizon carrier will this work with my e60, or should I go with Cingular wireless for my carrier, or does it matter?

(I have learn by my e60 Vs Replica rim experience, and with the new e60 being so precise and near perfect, I better save my $$ and wait until I can afford for my 530i, and stay with my BMW dealer on not only those replica rim issues, but now on their e60 iDrive recommendations as well. All though I like saving my $$, without reducing the quality we are a custom to with our new BMW's)

Also don't laugh too much, but where can I locate my build date on my e60? (LOL)
(I just remember my BMW salesman: Mr: Guzman last April 04, saying my 2004 530i was built last year in Germany in May or June 2003, and then shipped to the BMW South Carolina port then to Atlanta)

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley
[/quote]

Call BMWNA and give them your VIN, and they'll tell you the exact day the car was produced.
[snapback]120784[/snapback]
[/quote]

======================

Good morning Russ, and thanks for the VIN - BMW Build date answer, and I will give BMW NA a call, : )

Later,

Eddie = PTC GA
Old 04-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Once u get by the TCU issue and decide to go Bluetooth, u can get by with only the cost of a good compatible Bluetooth phone. Cingular and Motorola probably give you the most varied choices without any Phone provider infringements on the phones capability. BUT, other providers and phones will work just as well. You just need to review all the discussions here on the forum to be equipped to deal with all the combinations and permutations available.

The reason I say just the cost of the phone (other than the TCU issue which u may or may not get covered by warranty) is you do not have to go to a cradle (snap in adapter) and eject box to get full phone functionality. They do add some charging convenience and connection to the shark fin antenna. But u may have adequate signal strength in ur area anyway, and can use a regular car/lighter adapter like many others do. Should u chose to go the adapter/eject box route expect another $200 - $400 for parts and labor depending on dealer parts and labor charges.

Have fun with ur choices
Old 04-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Presley348' date='Apr 27 2005, 09:49 AM
WOW, and thanks a lot for your posting, (SEE ABOVE), I never knew all that BMW IDrive and cell phone jargon, and now I will have the right questions to ask my parts man at BMW dealer!?

Like most every e 60 BMW owner I want the most bang for my buck...I just had my Bimmer in for a recall ce: emissions concerning reprogramming the iDrive software which they said took nine hours to reprogram my entire system for this BMW recall, would this recall by chance to include 16.2 thing, (ie TCU required under warranty for free)? I did notice? that when I got it back, my iDdrive menu came with a few more options, and a couple taking out, that I did not have on the other iDrive software) Probably not but it depends on when you did it.? Version 16 is just now available (in the last week or two - my dealer doesn't have it yet).? Anything beyond that won't be V16 but check your invoice and see if the replaced your TCU.? A nine hour reprogramming is right where they start thinking about changing hardware instead of pushing the same software over and over again.? If your invoice doesn't say it was replaced, you can still take it in later as discussed above and hope for another tough reprogram.

Now I read where you said the T637 is the one to get, now I have a? Motorola V-60 Verizon carrier will this work with my e60, or should I go with Cingular wireless for my carrier, or does it matter? My understanding is that the V60 is not bluetooth compatible and therefore won't work with the system we're talking about here.? As cobradav stated there are more options with Cingular than there are with Verizon or Sprint.? I suggest you cross that bridge when/if you get your TCU replaced.

? ? (I have learn by my e60 Vs Replica rim experience, and with the new e60 being so precise and near perfect, I better save my $$ and wait until I can afford for my 530i, and stay with my BMW dealer on not only those replica rim issues, but now on their e60 iDrive recommendations as well. All though I like saving my $$, without reducing the quality we are a custom to with our new BMW's)

? ? Also don't laugh too much, but where can I locate my build date on my e60? (LOL)
(I just remember my BMW salesman: Mr: Guzman last April 04, saying my 2004 530i was built last year in Germany in May or June 2003, and then shipped to the BMW South Carolina port then to Atlanta)? You can look on the inside drivers door jam, the plate has the build date on it.

? ? Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley
Old 04-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

Originally Posted by Sans' date='Apr 27 2005, 03:34 PM
[quote name='Presley348' date='Apr 27 2005, 09:49 AM']
WOW, and thanks a lot for your posting, (SEE ABOVE), I never knew all that BMW IDrive and cell phone jargon, and now I will have the right questions to ask my parts man at BMW dealer!?

Like most every e 60 BMW owner I want the most bang for my buck...I just had my Bimmer in for a recall ce: emissions concerning reprogramming the iDrive software which they said took nine hours to reprogram my entire system for this BMW recall, would this recall by chance to include 16.2 thing, (ie TCU required under warranty for free)? I did notice? that when I got it back, my iDdrive menu came with a few more options, and a couple taking out, that I did not have on the other iDrive software) Probably not but it depends on when you did it.? Version 16 is just now available (in the last week or two - my dealer doesn't have it yet).? Anything beyond that won't be V16 but check your invoice and see if the replaced your TCU.? A nine hour reprogramming is right where they start thinking about changing hardware instead of pushing the same software over and over again.? If your invoice doesn't say it was replaced, you can still take it in later as discussed above and hope for another tough reprogram.

Now I read where you said the T637 is the one to get, now I have a? Motorola V-60 Verizon carrier will this work with my e60, or should I go with Cingular wireless for my carrier, or does it matter? My understanding is that the V60 is not bluetooth compatible and therefore won't work with the system we're talking about here.? As cobradav stated there are more options with Cingular than there are with Verizon or Sprint.? I suggest you cross that bridge when/if you get your TCU replaced.

? ? (I have learn by my e60 Vs Replica rim experience, and with the new e60 being so precise and near perfect, I better save my $$ and wait until I can afford for my 530i, and stay with my BMW dealer on not only those replica rim issues, but now on their e60 iDrive recommendations as well. All though I like saving my $$, without reducing the quality we are a custom to with our new BMW's)

? ? Also don't laugh too much, but where can I locate my build date on my e60? (LOL)
(I just remember my BMW salesman: Mr: Guzman last April 04, saying my 2004 530i was built last year in Germany in May or June 2003, and then shipped to the BMW South Carolina port then to Atlanta)? You can look on the inside drivers door jam, the plate has the build date on it.

? ? Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley
[snapback]120885[/snapback]
[/quote]

====================

Thanks for the needed info Sans!!! Let me see if I can get this correct. Now the: Version 16 and the TCU is two separate issues:

Version 16 = software, and TCU = Hardware and software???

R. Eddie Presley
Old 04-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

TCU is strictly hardware. They made a change to the unit around 3/2004 production so if yours was before that, it won't support Bluetooth.

Version 16.x is strictly software. Bluetooth worked from about 13.x up so you don't necessarily have to have 16.x for BT to work.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 27 2005, 03:09 PM
TCU is strictly hardware.? They made a change to the unit around 3/2004 production so if yours was before that, it won't support Bluetooth.

Version 16.x is strictly software.? Bluetooth worked from about 13.x up so you don't necessarily have to have 16.x for BT to work.
[snapback]120897[/snapback]
Exactly as Rudy put it.

What you can hold out hope for is while they are upgrading your software (V.something to V16.x) is that your current (read: not compatible) TCU will not take the software upgrade and thus will need to be replaced under warranty with a new TCU (that will indeed support bluetooth). Then you could only be out the cost of the phone, which again might also be free if you get lucky. That's the cheapest possible route. With the bluetooth system you don't need a phone cradel/wiring/install. Of course, we have a few big if's in there....