Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Help! Bluetooth install is in trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 04:19 AM

What do you mean by 'upgraded'? do you mean the hardware is not the same? or is it a software issue?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oops, that reply above was mine.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Silver/Black, Sport, Premium, L7, Cold

Okay, so now I am thoroughly confused...

I've searched and read through almost every bluetooth posting (that took like forever ;-), but still cannot seem to get a few basic questions confirmed.

SIB 84 13 04 (dated October 2004) states, "For E60/63/64 vehicles produced from 3/04 to 8/04, Bluetooth functionality can be added to most of these vehicles by updating the vehicle software using CIP 13.2 or higher. After this is performed "Retrofit" of "Tel Bluetooth" needs to be performed. Follow the procedure as described in this Service Information for "Activating Bluetooth" and "Pairing The Handset". Note: This software update and retrofit is not covered under warranty and is at the customer's expense."

1. Conflicting information on whether or not a cable needs to be hooked up... sounds like (from the SI there is no cable - is this correct?

2. The SIB states CIP 13.2 or newer is needed for Bluetooth and also a "Retrofit" of "Tel Bluetooth". What is this "Retrofit"? Is it done after they upgrade? I assume this is different than "Activating" it under the iDrive menu? Is this what they are charging for (assuming the CIP upgrade was done for warranty issues)?

3. Why the @#$!%#@ does it so long for a CIP upgrade? I've heard NUMEROUS horror stories of the dealer having problems and having to order this or wait for BMWNA for something...

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 545 steptronic, silver gray, black, logic-7,PDC, folding rear seats, power rear shade, cold pack, 50% huper optic, comfort seats, sirius radio.

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Dec 17 2004, 06:46 AM
mhgoforit,

it sounds like mostly just the update is done for 13.3 or later, and then the programming within that software to enable BT.? What are your car specs? You must not have NAV if you got Sirius installed???
[snapback]69905[/snapback]
gdavis,

you are correct, I don't have NAV. Does this make a difference, and will I still have access to all the blutooth features? (Examples; voice comand, ability to download phone numbers, etc).
Old 12-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by mhgoforit' date='Dec 17 2004, 04:12 PM
[quote name='gdavis' date='Dec 17 2004, 06:46 AM']mhgoforit,

it sounds like mostly just the update is done for 13.3 or later, and then the programming within that software to enable BT.? What are your car specs? You must not have NAV if you got Sirius installed???
[snapback]69905[/snapback]
gdavis,

you are correct, I don't have NAV. Does this make a difference, and will I still have access to all the blutooth features? (Examples; voice comand, ability to download phone numbers, etc).
[snapback]70079[/snapback]
[/quote]
Maybe no voice commands without NAV
Old 12-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

WOW, I finally got it working. My dealer was very helpful, but almost at the point of giving up. Apparently, the TCU unit that was in my car was faulty, and so even with v13.3 installed, nothing was working. So they put in a new TCU and it was up and running.

The power of this thing is magical, I really love BT and how it integrates. My wife said that the sound is just fine, and I can't believe how all the names show up on my idrive screen. The strange thing is that they are only the ones that were on my previous phone, apparently in the SIM card, not the phone's memory, and they transferred into the car while at the dealer. Oddly, many of them still don't show in the phone display, but all show up in the idrive!

It's great! Thanks for help from everyone on it.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Congrats ! What cell phone service do you use?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:20 PM
Contributors

My wife tells me it sounds like I'm under water on the speakerphone. I'm using a Moto v551 on Cingular. I replaced the mic with the old part number one - for the pre-GSM days, and it didn't make any difference. Anyone having success improving sound quality?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

I've got t-mobile and I just got a motorola v3 razr for the BT compatibility. It seems that when I turn the volume down on the car audio, it helps reduce the 'speakerphone' effect and people who are listening to me on the other end don't realize that I'm speaking through anything differently than what the phone itself would sound like.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by John W' date='Dec 17 2004, 09:20 PM
My wife tells me it sounds like I'm under water on the speakerphone.? I'm using a Moto v551 on Cingular. I replaced the mic with the old part number one - for the pre-GSM days, and it didn't make any difference. Anyone having success improving sound quality?
[snapback]70160[/snapback]
Turn down the volume. She is hearing the echo and feedback.

Quick Reply: Help! Bluetooth install is in trouble!