Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Help With Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Jenny,

Wnrussel posted this on another thread. Not all phones will transfer the phone book.

Those that do will take some time. Up to half an hour without using the phone.
The TOP8 needs more usage to populate as it shows the most frequently dialed names. I think the names have to be in there for it to work. Yo should see some numbers in the redial list.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Members

Oh by the way, how will I know if the phonebook is being transferred in the process? Will it say anything on the screen?
Old 03-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 8 2005, 07:24 AM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Mar 8 2005, 12:43 AM']Jenny? Does that mean female owner?? Is this a first??
[snapback]98470[/snapback]
I think she's our third...
[snapback]98602[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh... I see someone is keeping track
Old 03-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jenny' date='Mar 8 2005, 08:52 PM
Oh by the way, how will I know if the phonebook is being transferred in the process?? Will it say anything on the screen?
[snapback]98832[/snapback]
...and another thing, how do I check the version of BMW Bluetooth thingie?
Old 03-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray 545i auto, navigation, premium sound/Logic7, cold weather, adaptive Xenon, Lumbar support, split rear seat, PDC.

Originally Posted by jenny' date='Mar 8 2005, 10:52 PM
Oh by the way, how will I know if the phonebook is being transferred in the process?? Will it say anything on the screen?
When my Treo 650 is updating it shows a small clock-like icon on the right.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jenny' date='Mar 8 2005, 09:52 PM
No, the phonebook transfer will just "happen". Longer lists take a longer time (drive around for a 30-40 minutes without using the phone).

Given how new the SE 700i is you'll be one of the first I've seen to try that phone. We talked about it here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=6702&hl=s700i.

As for SMS, I don't think any of the bluetooth enabled phones support SMS through iDrive yet, just the hardwired CP phone. Then again your phone is new, ya never know...
Old 03-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Members

Here an update......

The phonebook finally transferred over (it took nearly an hour to do so) and I was able to call using the phonebook. Caller ID also works for callers that are already on my contact list.

No SMS yet. By the way, I noticed that I don't have the "SMS" option on my iDrive (at least I didn't see it). I've seen screenshots where the "SMS" option is between the "Phone" and "BMW Assist". Not the case with mine (no "SMS" in between the two). Is that probably because I need to get my iDrive updated with new software? How do I know the version of my iDrive and what's the latest version?

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jenny' date='Mar 9 2005, 04:55 PM
Here an update......

The phonebook finally transferred over (it took nearly an hour to do so) and I was able to call using the phonebook.? Caller ID also works for callers that are already on my contact list.

No SMS yet.? By the way, I noticed that I don't have the "SMS" option on my iDrive (at least I didn't see it).? I've seen screenshots where the "SMS" option is between the "Phone" and "BMW Assist".? Not the case with mine (no "SMS" in between the two).? Is that probably because I need to get my iDrive updated with new software? How do I know the version of my iDrive and what's the latest version?

Thanks.
[snapback]99236[/snapback]
No, I think that's because it's been difficult enough for BMW/carriers/handset manufacturers to get their collective act together to support the basic functions of communication via bluetooth and SMS is just not that important to them (especially considering so many bluetooth phones are not fully compatible from a voice perspective).

As of now (v15.3 with v16 coming in the next few weeks) there is no support for SMS in a bluetooth phone. It's possible it could happen with a software upgrade down the road but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Lastly, the only way to find out what software you're running is to have your dealer check for you.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

Originally Posted by jenny' date='Mar 9 2005, 05:55 PM
Here an update......

The phonebook finally transferred over (it took nearly an hour to do so) and I was able to call using the phonebook.? Caller ID also works for callers that are already on my contact list.
Awesome ... so this one works. try ading another contact to your phone book, and see how long it will take now to add that one to the iDrive contact

No SMS yet.? By the way, I noticed that I don't have the "SMS" option on my iDrive (at least I didn't see it).? I've seen screenshots where the "SMS" option is between the "Phone" and "BMW Assist".? Not the case with mine (no "SMS" in between the two).
what he said!

Is that probably because I need to get my iDrive updated with new software? How do I know the version of my iDrive and what's the latest version?

Thanks.
don't fix whats not broken. your boot time "may" increase once you get an update ... as well as possible other issues ... which do get corrected/fixed, however may take time, and hassle.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Mar 10 2005, 01:16 AM
[quote name='jenny' date='Mar 9 2005, 05:55 PM']No SMS yet.? By the way, I noticed that I don't have the "SMS" option on my iDrive (at least I didn't see it).? I've seen screenshots where the "SMS" option is between the "Phone" and "BMW Assist".? Not the case with mine (no "SMS" in between the two).
what he said!
[snapback]99317[/snapback]
[/quote]
SHE !

Quick Reply: Help With Bluetooth