Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Getting Address Book into I-Drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Originally Posted by inmediate' post='232155' date='Jan 30 2006, 07:10 PM
Sorry I did not answer to your points.

I had to make no changes to the cell phone at all. Just to follow the pocedure for car's bluetooth recognition system. I had to name it " BMW connection" in my Nokia Bluetooth new hadrware found section.

No changes for the names or numbers at all.

However it took us some tough work at the dealer to install it for the first time. Cell phones from other makers, or even other Nokia models were not running fine, but they assured to me that 6230 was perfect. In fact I bought this phone one week before my car was arrived, as to assure perfect pairing.

There is a small problem. Bluetooth usage means great battery consumtion. I had to buy a lighter charger for long drivings...Now everything runs OK

Good luck!
Did changing the connection name to "BMW connection" sort out your address book problem?? Mine picked up as BMW91621 as that's the ID i guess the i-drive sent out to my Nokia.

No problem with power, as i have the 6230 cradle fitted.

Me thinks i'm going to have to pay a visit to the dealer to get this sorted.

As for firmware, how can i find out what version my 6230 is & if needed, how do i get an update??
Old 01-31-2006, 02:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='232334

I had to make no changes to the cell phone at all. Just to follow the pocedure for car's bluetooth recognition system. I had to name it " BMW connection" in my Nokia Bluetooth new hadrware found section.

However it took us some tough work at the dealer to install it for the first time. Cell phones from other makers, or even other Nokia models were not running fine, but they assured to me that 6230 was perfect. In fact I bought this phone one week before my car was arrived, as to assure perfect pairing.

There is a small problem. Bluetooth usage means great battery consumtion. I had to buy a lighter charger for long drivings...Now everything runs OK

Good luck!
Did changing the connection name to "BMW connection" sort out your address book problem?? Mine picked up as BMW91621 as that's the ID i guess the i-drive sent out to my Nokia.

As for firmware, how can i find out what version my 6230 is & if needed, how do i get an update??
[/quote]

Many thanks everyone for your assistance. I've not managed to solve the problem, so i'm taking the car into the dealers this afternoon for them to sort it out. Their are a couple of other minor problems they need to fix, so i'll get everything done at the same time. I may see if they can also import my BlackBerry address book into i-drive as well.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='232354
Originally Posted by inmediate' post='232155' date='Jan 30 2006, 07:10 PM

Good luck!

Many thanks everyone for your assistance. I've not managed to solve the problem, so i'm taking the car into the dealers this afternoon for them to sort it out. Their are a couple of other minor problems they need to fix, so i'll get everything done at the same time. I may see if they can also import my BlackBerry address book into i-drive as well.
[/quote]

All sorted, the problem was with the Nokia handset, nothing to do with the car.

Basically as the handset was about 18mths old & had been unused for over 6 months, the firmware was dated Nov 2004. My BMW dealer notified me earlier today that the 6230 needed to have at least v5.1 to fully work. I took the phone to a local mobile phone store & paid them a few ??'s to update my Nokia 6230 to V5.5 & it all now works perfectly. I've not needed to change any settings on the phone or i-drive, just paired them up after the firmware update & all's well.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Glad to hear you got it working. That firmware update is exactly what we were talking about above -- the 6230 needs it to work right.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='232748' date='Jan 31 2006, 08:26 PM
Glad to hear you got it working. That firmware update is exactly what we were talking about above -- the 6230 needs it to work right.
Indeed it does. I'm no cellular phone expert, i just use them for calls & SMS, so had no idea that their sudo operating systems needed updating. My BMW dealer actually showed me a section of the BMW UK website that provides full detail on all cellular phones & their compatibility to all models of BMW along with the firmware versions required etc.

Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Members

I am using a Treo 650 with Sprint and my address book doesn't come up either. The phone works okay though.

This is with a 550i.