Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Getting Address Book into I-Drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

I've managed to pair my Nokia 6230 with the car fairly easily & can use the I-Drive to make calls, however the I-Drive does not appear to be picking up the phones phonebook. I can't see a way of forcing it from I-Drive & as everything else appears to be working, i'm sure the BlueTooth pairing is fine.

Can anyone help?? The manuals covering BlueTooth & I-Drive just say the address book Sync should happen as soon as the phone connect to the car.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Members

My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='232026' date='Jan 30 2006, 11:44 AM
I've managed to pair my Nokia 6230 with the car fairly easily & can use the I-Drive to make calls, however the I-Drive does not appear to be picking up the phones phonebook. I can't see a way of forcing it from I-Drive & as everything else appears to be working, i'm sure the BlueTooth pairing is fine.

Can anyone help?? The manuals covering BlueTooth & I-Drive just say the address book Sync should happen as soon as the phone connect to the car.
Just did mine (Verizon RAZR) yesterday. Stories like yours is why I decided to stay with Motorola. My address book came across without any issues.

Good luck to you...........
Old 01-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Members

[quote name='w8pmc' date='Jan 30 2006, 02:44 PM' post='232026']

/quote]
My cell phone is also a Nokia 6230. It took me some time to follow the procedures to get my phone identified by the system, but once it happened, the I-drive takes the whole phonebook.

Only a "but": As you know, with your Nokia 6230 you can assign several numbers (Work, home, cell, etc) for each name. However I-drive only gets the first field. You have to search manually on your cell phone and order "call" for second or third phone numbers.

My guess is that probably your dealer will help in completing correctly the installation process.

Tell me if I can be of help
Old 01-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Spartacus_33' post='232046

Just did mine (Verizon RAZR) yesterday. Stories like yours is why I decided to stay with Motorola. My address book came across without any issues.

[/quote]

Quick update. I've released the BlueTooth connection again on both the cellphone & i-drive & gone through the connection process again. Once more i can get them seeing each other & connected but on the A-Z screen i just get a "Please Wait" message as it appears to be transfering the phone-book, however i've now been looking at the "Please Wait" message for about 15mins & nothing's changed.

The manual states it can take a few minutes, but how long is a few?? & is the fact it's stopping on the "Please Wait" message for so long, an indication that it's not working??

I only picked the car up today & it's the only thing that appears to be failing.

Cheers in advance.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='232096
Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='232026' date='Jan 30 2006, 11:44 AM

Quick update. I've released the BlueTooth connection again on both the cellphone & i-drive & gone through the connection process again. Once more i can get them seeing each other & connected but on the A-Z screen i just get a "Please Wait" message as it appears to be transfering the phone-book, however i've now been looking at the "Please Wait" message for about 15mins & nothing's changed.

The manual states it can take a few minutes, but how long is a few?? & is the fact it's stopping on the "Please Wait" message for so long, an indication that it's not working??

I only picked the car up today & it's the only thing that appears to be failing.

Cheers in advance.
[/quote]

Transfer is immediate. You will see an antenna sign on the lower bar of the screen. That means that you are connected and the system is working. At the same time, phone book is transferred.

What I can tell you with no doubt is that nokia 6230 works fine.

But completing the recognition procedure is complicated and multi-step

It was the dealer technitian who did that for me
Old 01-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by inmediate' post='232100
Originally Posted by Spartacus_33' post='232046' date='Jan 30 2006, 03:10 PM
[quote name='w8pmc' post='232026' date='Jan 30 2006, 11:44 AM']

Cheers in advance.
[/quote]

Transfer is immediate. You will see an antenna sign on the lower bar of the screen. That means that you are connected and the system is working. At the same time, phone book is transferred.

[/quote]

I can see the antenna sign & all appears OK, however the phone book will not transfer/display.

Is their something that needs changing on my Nokia 6230, perhaps in the Phonebook settings?? It's set to display just names, but perhaps i need to change this??

Also is a a technician only job to change the BWM numbers? For some reason they have input their own number incorrectly

If all fails with the phonebook connection, could a Technician talk me through it over the phone, or is it a visit required??
Old 01-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Imperialblue - HK Sound - Panorama Roof - High Executive

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='232116
Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='232096' date='Jan 30 2006, 04:38 PM
[quote name='Spartacus_33' post='232046' date='Jan 30 2006, 03:10 PM']
[quote name='w8pmc' post='232026' date='Jan 30 2006, 11:44 AM']

Cheers in advance.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I can see the antenna sign & all appears OK, however the phone book will not transfer/display.

Is their something that needs changing on my Nokia 6230, perhaps in the Phonebook settings?? It's set to display just names, but perhaps i need to change this??

Also is a a technician only job to change the BWM numbers? For some reason they have input their own number incorrectly

If all fails with the phonebook connection, could a Technician talk me through it over the phone, or is it a visit required??
[/quote]

What I understand is that pairing capabilities of a 6230 depend on the version number of the Nokia software. There is one forum topic that states that you need to be on Nokia version 5.5.

This is what comes from X5 World.
Address book issues reported to be resolved if the phone is upgraded to SW release 5.24 (5.26 in Poland, Hungary, Belgium and Czech Republic)

Good luck!
Eric
Old 01-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Members

I wonder whether you are familiar to the I-drive menu.

Once the antenna sign is on, you are connected.OK.

Then you do not see the phonebook automatically. You have to go to the main menu and choose Communication. Then you have to play with options pretending to stablish a call untill the aplication drives you to an A-Z bar. Once clicked you see the list of names and numbers.

Should it worked, you may choose one of the right side buttons on the steering wheel, as to visualize the phones note book when intending to call someone. This procedure is made with the i-drive wheel. (This depends on the steering wheel type also)

To me, the fact that you already see the antenna on the display means that the connection is correct itself.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Members

Sorry I did not answer to your points.

I had to make no changes to the cell phone at all. Just to follow the pocedure for car's bluetooth recognition system. I had to name it " BMW connection" in my Nokia Bluetooth new hadrware found section.

No changes for the names or numbers at all.

However it took us some tough work at the dealer to install it for the first time. Cell phones from other makers, or even other Nokia models were not running fine, but they assured to me that 6230 was perfect. In fact I bought this phone one week before my car was arrived, as to assure perfect pairing.

There is a small problem. Bluetooth usage means great battery consumtion. I had to buy a lighter charger for long drivings...Now everything runs OK

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The 6230 does have a firmware version that suposedly fixed some things with BT and our cars.

That said, did you try saving some number to the SIM card memory (not the phone memory) to see if they transfer? On some phones, the SIM memory is all that will transfer so it's worth experimenting with that to see if it helps you out...

Quick Reply: Getting Address Book into I-Drive