Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Feb 2004 build date 530i & Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530i sport, Titanium Silver

Hi all,

I have been reading the postings in this forum and think that I might be in trouble (but that's what I thought about my iPod until I read the posting here that led me to call Chad at Nick Alexander BMW and now my Indiana dealership has the parts on order to do something that they thought "couldn't be done").

Here's my problem. I have a Feb '04 build date 530i. There is no "bluetooth" item on my iDrive "communications" menu (BTW, they updated my software a few months back to fix another problem I had - any way to tell what version I got?) but I have a bluetooth card (piece of paper, not technology) in my owners manual folder that has numbers on it and seems to indicate that I have bluetooth.

Does the bluetooth menu not show up unless there is a bluetooth phone in the car? Is it possible that even though I have a pre-March '04 build date that I have the hardware (i.e. the presence of the paper card) but just need the right software version?

If I'm striking out on everything else, is there a kit that can provide the wiring / antenna stuff I need in order to do bluetooth in this car or do I have to wait 2 years until I turn it in and get another one (not my first choice).

I was actually led to believe by the dealership that I had bluetooth when I acquired the car - I just thought I had to get a bluetooth enabled phone in order to make it work.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

- Bryan
Old 01-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, bceverly ! only your dealer can tell what version sw you have. there are a few members also have pre-march '04 production car and their dealers were able to retrofit but imo it's quite pricey .
Old 01-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

Originally Posted by bceverly' date='Jan 3 2005, 03:04 PM
Hi all,

I have been reading the postings in this forum and think that I might be in trouble (but that's what I thought about my iPod until I read the posting here that led me to call Chad at Nick Alexander BMW and now my Indiana dealership has the parts on order to do something that they thought "couldn't be done").

Here's my problem.? I have a Feb '04 build date 530i.? There is no "bluetooth" item on my iDrive "communications" menu (BTW, they updated my software a few months back to fix another problem I had - any way to tell what version I got?) but I have a bluetooth card (piece of paper, not technology) in my owners manual folder that has numbers on it and seems to indicate that I have bluetooth.

Does the bluetooth menu not show up unless there is a bluetooth phone in the car?? Is it possible that even though I have a pre-March '04 build date that I have the hardware (i.e. the presence of the paper card) but just need the right software version?

If I'm striking out on everything else, is there a kit that can provide the wiring / antenna stuff I need in order to do bluetooth in this car or do I have to wait 2 years until I turn it in and get another one (not my first choice).

I was actually led to believe by the dealership that I had bluetooth when I acquired the car - I just thought I had to get a bluetooth enabled phone in order to make it work.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

- Bryan
[snapback]75070[/snapback]
I am right there with you Bryan. I am going in for the emissions software upgrade per the recent recall and will be looking to see what happens to the ability of the car to work with BT. Other members have mentioned the need to upgrade a gizmo called a TCU. I suggest you read the string of posts under class action.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, bceverly !
Old 01-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i sport, Titanium Silver

Hi dfndr,

Was hoping you might have had some success with your recent software upgrade. My dealer flat out refused to even let me pay them to upgrade my TCU (which they are quoting at $2,400 US to replace - parts & labor). They said that it wasn't an approved retrofit and might cause other problems with the vehicle (whatever that means).

Anyone with a February 2004 build date 530i get bluetooth working yet? If so, what dealership did you use and can I have the name of your service rep? I had to go that route to get my dealer to do my AUX input as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Originally Posted by dfndr' date='Jan 3 2005, 05:47 PM
I am right there with you Bryan. I am going in for the emissions software upgrade per the recent recall and will be looking to see what happens to the ability of the car to work with BT.? Other members have mentioned the need to upgrade a gizmo called a TCU.? I suggest you read the string of posts under class action.
[snapback]75177[/snapback]
Old 01-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Members

I will be getting a 525 or a 530 and i definately want bluetooth in my car. Should i get the car with a certain prodution date? Is it put in after 2004 production date? What should i looki for so i could get bluetooth in my ride? thx guys
Old 01-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

March 2004 or later
Old 01-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Jan 21 2005, 11:40 AM
March 2004 or later
[snapback]81602[/snapback]
cool thx