Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

E60 for Bluetooth Deficient Vehicle/Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

[/quote]

The SA is not a representative of BMW. He works for a car dealership period. Is this the first car that you ever purchased? The typical SA may or may not know what they are talking about. I cannot believe that anyone would put their complete trust in a SA.
[snapback]83029[/snapback]
[/quote]
Rediculous. He is obviously representing BMW - if he's not, who is? It's a fundamental business principle.

No it's not the first car I ever purchased.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Rob
Members

Originally Posted by ct530' date='Jan 25 2005, 04:32 PM
The production date is 3/10/04, so I was told it would not require TCU replacement.? At the same time I was told by the dealer that it would be more than just programming change - since that's only for vehicles produced after 9/04.? Does that make sense?? What else is involved that I would be paying $720 for then?? Can anybody who had experience with bluetooth retrofit with production date between 3/04 and 9/04 share their experience with the upgrade and price paid?
[snapback]82939[/snapback]
My production date is March 04 and I had this work done. It cost about $200. I didn't get specifics from the service advisor, but my impression was it was just software.

You should call BMWNA - they will ask for your VIN and verify that you have the right equipment. If you do, then it should be around the same price.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i space gray/black, 6sp manual, ZSP, DHP, Prem, Prem2, split-fold rear seats SOLD: 2008 550i sport, 6sp manual, Carbon Black/Black, Active Steering, NAV, CWP, Heated and Folding Rear Seats, PDC, Logic 7, IPOD, Bluetooth SOLD: 2004 545i sport, 6sp manual, 3/04 build date, Saphire Black/Beige, NAV, CWP, Heated and Folding Rear Seats, PDC, Logic 7, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by Rob' date='Jan 26 2005, 01:09 AM
[quote name='ct530' date='Jan 25 2005, 04:32 PM']The production date is 3/10/04, so I was told it would not require TCU replacement.? At the same time I was told by the dealer that it would be more than just programming change - since that's only for vehicles produced after 9/04.? Does that make sense?? What else is involved that I would be paying $720 for then?? Can anybody who had experience with bluetooth retrofit with production date between 3/04 and 9/04 share their experience with the upgrade and price paid?
My production date is March 04 and I had this work done. It cost about $200. I didn't get specifics from the service advisor, but my impression was it was just software.

You should call BMWNA - they will ask for your VIN and verify that you have the right equipment. If you do, then it should be around the same price.
[snapback]83085[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Jan 25 2005, 10:36 PM
May I suggest that the BT deficient get on this bandwagon.? $700 for Bluetooth with a new TCU sounds like a damn good deal to me.
[snapback]83045[/snapback]
I'll believe it when I see it. I would be happy with a similar solution as I am not asking for a freebie.

However, most 2004 E60 owners are not personal friends with the owners of BMW dealerships and have not been offered a FAIR means by which we may have Bluetooth enabled in our vehicles.

This issue puts front and center BMW's apparent unwillingness to address the very real needs of its owners, and its apparent inabilility to do the right thing. There is no question that they could find a way to facilitate the upgrade of its Bluetooth deficient first-half 2004 model year vehicles, but has not done so to date.

I'll say it again: SHAMEFUL !!!
Old 01-26-2005, 05:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by ct530' date='Jan 25 2005, 05:32 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Jan 25 2005, 03:23 PM'][quote name='ct530' date='Jan 25 2005, 10:23 AM']I have a March 2004 production 545i sport.? Local dealer quoted me $720 for bluetooth retrofit/activation.? Is that reasonable?? Do 3/04 - 9/04 e60s need any hardware replacement?
[snapback]82770[/snapback]
Tough one! Sometime during March production they changed the hardware on assembly line. The price your dealer has quoted you makes no sense. Either you have the compatible hardware in which case he should charge you an hour or two of labor for the coding or you do not, in which case he should charge you $2000 for a new TCU.
[snapback]82827[/snapback]
[/quote]

The production date is 3/10/04, so I was told it would not require TCU replacement. At the same time I was told by the dealer that it would be more than just programming change - since that's only for vehicles produced after 9/04. Does that make sense? What else is involved that I would be paying $720 for then? Can anybody who had experience with bluetooth retrofit with production date between 3/04 and 9/04 share their experience with the upgrade and price paid?
[/quote]

Your dealer is incorrect. If you do in fact have the correct TCU, all you require is software updating. You may want to call BMWNA and confirm that you indeed have the correct TCU. They can do this for you using your VIN.

My bet is you are OK. My car was 03/04 production as well, unfortunately, the first two days of March preoduction. I got the old TCU. You should be Ok from what I have read and learned with just the software update and the BT enabling during the update.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gizmo' date='Jan 24 2005, 07:18 PM
[quote name='sj3' date='Jan 23 2005, 11:54 AM']"Thousands of dollars" to add Bluetooth is something of an exxageration (sp?), however.?
[snapback]82180[/snapback]
Well I have seen quotes of over $2000 for the TCU, plus hundreds for install, plus more hundreds for hours of reprogramming. Using the new math that comes out to thousands of $$$ in my book.

While Sirius radio is a nice option, it does not carry with it the importance that Bluetooth does. Would you be willing to fork over $3000 for Sirius??? Even if you were so inclined, you shouldn't have to. I agree this is yet another example of substandard customer service.
[snapback]82649[/snapback]
[/quote]
Giz, ?Your understanding of this issue as a somewhat "late comer" is perfect. But for those of us that bought our cars at roll out had an understanding that bluetooth and Sat radio where part of the program. BMW Let us belive that our cars had the capasity for all these features. From lets say, 12/03 BMW started to sort through all the shortcomings and told their customers that BT and SAT and NAV where issues that they "hoped" to sort out . To BMW's credit they have figured out most of these issues. But that doesn't help me or thousands of others like me that bought our cars early.
I suppose it has to be counted as a lesson learned. I for one will never again buy a car the year it rolls out for production. If BMW, BMWNA what this to be the standard for their die hard fans then they will lose many of us. I would hope that they (BMW) would appriciate our support and resolve these issues at little to no cost. .... damn this just pisses me off ...
Old 01-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

A few questions to all of you who keep repeating the mantra that the salesman is the employee of the dealer and not BMWNA:

1. When the salesman tells his customer that the car will have BT, where do you think he is getting his info if not from BMWNA?

2. If the salesman provides inaccurate information and the customer relies on the misrepresentations, shouldn't the dealer be responsible for his employee's conduct?

3. Why should some purchasers of a MY 2004 car be deprived of features that others received when the manufacturer failed to disclose, prior to sale, that cars produced early in the model year would come without some features that would be included later?
Old 01-26-2005, 08:07 AM
sj3
Senior Members

You guys (and gals) know, don't you, that Bluetooth is not the best thing since sliced bread. It's a very error-prone protocol that causes lots of dropped calls when used. Auto manufacturers are in a constant battle with the bt spec committee. Several writers in the industry are of the opinion that bt will be a short-lived protocol. If I could only pick one option, I would rather have automatic accident notification through Assist than Bluetooth. That said, I can't wait to get a bluetooth phone and pair it with the car...since I will preobably ne ver be able to have Sirius radio!!

Sam
Old 01-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i space gray/black, 6sp manual, ZSP, DHP, Prem, Prem2, split-fold rear seats SOLD: 2008 550i sport, 6sp manual, Carbon Black/Black, Active Steering, NAV, CWP, Heated and Folding Rear Seats, PDC, Logic 7, IPOD, Bluetooth SOLD: 2004 545i sport, 6sp manual, 3/04 build date, Saphire Black/Beige, NAV, CWP, Heated and Folding Rear Seats, PDC, Logic 7, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by ademitt' date='Jan 26 2005, 09:23 AM
[quote name='ct530' date='Jan 25 2005, 05:32 PM'][quote name='Hormazd' date='Jan 25 2005, 03:23 PM'][quote name='ct530' date='Jan 25 2005, 10:23 AM']I have a March 2004 production 545i sport.? Local dealer quoted me $720 for bluetooth retrofit/activation.? Is that reasonable?? Do 3/04 - 9/04 e60s need any hardware replacement?
Tough one! Sometime during March production they changed the hardware on assembly line. The price your dealer has quoted you makes no sense. Either you have the compatible hardware in which case he should charge you an hour or two of labor for the coding or you do not, in which case he should charge you $2000 for a new TCU.
[/quote]

The production date is 3/10/04, so I was told it would not require TCU replacement. At the same time I was told by the dealer that it would be more than just programming change - since that's only for vehicles produced after 9/04. Does that make sense? What else is involved that I would be paying $720 for then? Can anybody who had experience with bluetooth retrofit with production date between 3/04 and 9/04 share their experience with the upgrade and price paid?
[/quote]

Your dealer is incorrect. If you do in fact have the correct TCU, all you require is software updating. You may want to call BMWNA and confirm that you indeed have the correct TCU. They can do this for you using your VIN.

My bet is you are OK. My car was 03/04 production as well, unfortunately, the first two days of March preoduction. I got the old TCU. You should be Ok from what I have read and learned with just the software update and the BT enabling during the update.
[snapback]83205[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm being told that Bluetooth wiring kit is required for retrofit. So, parts and labor is $720. ???

BMW NA is referring me back to my local service center.... ???
Old 01-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by ct530' date='Jan 26 2005, 10:14 AM
[quote name='ademitt' date='Jan 26 2005, 09:23 AM'][quote name='ct530' date='Jan 25 2005, 05:32 PM'][quote name='Hormazd' date='Jan 25 2005, 03:23 PM'][quote name='ct530' date='Jan 25 2005, 10:23 AM']I have a March 2004 production 545i sport.? Local dealer quoted me $720 for bluetooth retrofit/activation.? Is that reasonable?? Do 3/04 - 9/04 e60s need any hardware replacement?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[snapback]83205[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm being told that Bluetooth wiring kit is required for retrofit. So, parts and labor is $720. ???

BMW NA is referring me back to my local service center.... ???
[snapback]83285[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK I give up! Your dealer will continue to BS you. You can believe several of us on this forum and find another dealer, or you can pay him his $700. If you do not need a new TCU its one hour of work.

Quick Reply: E60 for Bluetooth Deficient Vehicle/Owners