Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

E60 for Bluetooth Deficient Vehicle/Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 06:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

Well, the E60 for USA subforum was rejected by our administrator (but it did spawn the Canadian E60 thread, eh) !!!

As BMW has thusfar refused to assist many of its customers in the implementation of Bluetooth technology in 2004 vehicles produced for over half of the model year, a subforum on this matter would appear most indicated.

Not a day goes by without a new post requesting information on this topic. Some may reply that BMW has no legal obligation to provide such assitance to its customers, and this may well be true. However, there are many things that quality companies do to assist their customers that are not mandated by the courts or directly specified in legal documents.

Many purchasers of the "new 5" are among BMW's best customers. Most of these folk purchased their vehicle with little to no discounting and it is unseemly to mandate they fork over thousands of dollars more to acquire Bluetooth technology in their vehicle when BMW gives this to others for free. Most of us are not asking for a handout. We merely ask for a cost-effective upgrade path, and surely this is not unreasonable. We have endured the numerous software glitches, recalls and the like wihout much angst, however; the witholding of important technology which has negative implications on our business and personal lives deserves to be addressed. Furthermore, the truely handsfree environment that Bluetooth affords makes this also a driving safety issue.

It would appear that BMW is failing "Customer Service 101" and is receieving poor marks in business etchics. How BMW deals with this issue is a barometer on how they deal with other such problems. Hopefully this subforum will allow those who suffer from "BMW neglect" to collate information they have received regarding Bluetooth and share it with similarly afflicted individuals.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:32 AM
Contributors

I was just about to start writing a letter to BMW regarding this. While I'm very happy with the cpt9000 that I acquired from Mr. Belk, I'm very dissapointed with the responsiveness from BMW regarding the things that I was told came with the car (I know that last sentence is going to spark a few responses, but that's not my point of this post).

I was told (and bought) this car because of the technology it contained. I'm a geek, and I like gadgets. I asked about mp3, SAT, NAV, Bluetooth, iPod, etc. My purchase was based on those things, (and of course because I love BMW's).

I agree that they should make it right...

James
Old 01-23-2005, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Yeah, what they said and then some, we all purchased the new five with alot of expectaions, and promises. They being BMW NA delivered on the the ride, the performance, and the overall quality,and styling of the e60. But as not a new bmw enthusias, we/I were looking for a little bit more this time.

We/I were looking for creature cumforts flexabilty, and upgrade ability and with the new bus system and what we knew that the 7 series could do with idrive most were told like me and assumed that we had the future in our grasp.

As Gizmo stated we indured numerous visit to the dealership, and countless hours of down time, and numerous blank stares from the SA's and even the mechanics.

But we knew the rep of BMW would pervail and we would have a vehical that could stand the test of time not just from a driving stand point but from a culture of high tech electronics that even the lesser vehical in the market place have.

There has got to be a simple soulution to implementing these things on the early production vehicals as mine is a September 03 production date and even then i was told these things that minor software updates would fix i bet i could not even get a changer to work in my car HUMMMMMM any who BMW NA dont forget that us early guys gave yo free advertisment of a beautiful vehical no its time to give back to the community.

Just my .02 worth
Old 01-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

^^^^What he said.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributors

I, as most others, purchased the E60 with many expectations.
I enjoy the car , but would like to see BMW take advantage of the bus system and provide more flexibility and easier upgradeability.

My 545 was March 19 production , so I was lucky to have BT activated, but it was not an easy process, I found my dealer had no clue, they told me it was not possible twice, I had to call BMWNA and had them call the dealer to provide the right information, dealer has only 1 trained technician, and I had to pay for labor, to top it off, the dealer kept my car for 2 weeks.

We all expect BMW to provide the same upgrade to all pre March/04 production E60's at the same cost as mine, 1 hour labor, and if they have to replace the TCU, well, do so.

This is setting precedents, it is punishing all early adopters, I will think twice in the future when buying another BMW, do I have to wait for second year production? someone has to buy the first year to get the model going, BMW, support all your cutomers.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:54 AM
sj3
Senior Members

I could copy Gizmo's exact words and title it for San radio instead of Bluetooth! "Thousands of dollars" to add Bluetooth is something of an exxageration (sp?), however. It's my understanding that Bluetooth can be added to any us e60 and the max expenditure would be for a new tcu, which I think is just under $2k. We in the Nav and no sat prep category are worse off though. We're being told it's not possible. Bluetooth is possible for every e60 owner. And, as I recall, there were no written promises made (i.e. in the brochure).

Anyway, the e60 sure is an awesome vehicle but, as has been said many times, the tech stuff wasn't exactly deliveried perfectly. In one way, those desiring Bluetooth are better off than those of us with Nav, no sat prep and desirous of Sirius radio.

Sam
Old 01-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

Originally Posted by sj3' date='Jan 23 2005, 11:54 AM
"Thousands of dollars" to add Bluetooth is something of an exxageration (sp?), however.?
[snapback]82180[/snapback]
Well I have seen quotes of over $2000 for the TCU, plus hundreds for install, plus more hundreds for hours of reprogramming. Using the new math that comes out to thousands of $$$ in my book.

While Sirius radio is a nice option, it does not carry with it the importance that Bluetooth does. Would you be willing to fork over $3000 for Sirius??? Even if you were so inclined, you shouldn't have to. I agree this is yet another example of substandard customer service.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Where did the 2004 models ever say they can do Bluetooth? It is not mentioned in the brochure of the car or did i miss somrthing here?
When I ordered mine, the dealer told me there is no BT in th car and I MIGHT be able to get it later at my expense. But if BT matters more than anything else, maybe a Japanese car is the better chioce....

Jochen
Old 01-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Members

I have a 545 sport with nav that was built last May. It was in for the software recall last week and I asked to have the "Tel. Bluetooth" retrofit. I was told by my SA that it is not possible.

What gives? I have learned that some others have had it done, some at no charge and some paid for 1 hours programming labor. Apparently it is purely a software addition and no hardware is needed as the car is already "set up" for Bluetooth.

Great driving car BUT, it was ordered with Sat radio prep that never materialized - "software conflict . . ." and no bluetooth.

BMWNA should address the Bluetooth and sat radio issues. I can just imagine the frustation I am going to have trying to sell the car without them.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Capebimmer' date='Jan 24 2005, 08:22 PM
I have a 545 sport with nav that was built last May.? It was in for the software recall last week and I asked to have the "Tel. Bluetooth" retrofit.? I was told by my SA that it is not possible.

What gives?? I have learned that some others have had it done, some at no charge and some paid for 1 hours programming labor.? Apparently it is purely a software addition and no hardware is needed as the car is already "set up" for Bluetooth.

Great driving car BUT, it was ordered with Sat radio prep that never materialized - "software conflict . . ." and no bluetooth.? ??

BMWNA should address the Bluetooth and sat radio issues.? I can just imagine the frustation I am going to have trying to sell the car without them.
[snapback]82691[/snapback]
Your SA needs a bonk on his head. Scour this forum for all the threads and bulletins. Post March 04 production E60s with CIP V13.2 or higher can be coded for BT. Your car has a newer TCU that makes this possible.

Quick Reply: E60 for Bluetooth Deficient Vehicle/Owners