Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Dumb Question (Maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I was on the phone in my car, and when I arrived at my destination, I shut off the engine and opened my phone, assuming the call would be through the cellphone at this point. To my surprise, the call continued through my speakers. I thought maybe when I got out of the car and shut the door the call would transfer, but it didn't. I had to call the party back.

Am I doing something wrong or are we destined to sit in our cars until a call is over?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Members

My Ride: MY 2005 525i Automatic Titanium Silver Metallic Built 01/2005 Delivery date 03/23/2005

Originally Posted by sleepdoc' date='Jul 11 2005, 03:25 PM
Today I was on the phone in my car, and when I arrived at my destination, I shut off the engine and opened my phone, assuming the call would be through the cellphone at this point.? To my surprise, the call continued through my speakers.? I thought maybe when I got out of the car and shut the door the call would transfer, but it didn't.? I had to call the party back.

Am I doing something wrong or are we destined to sit in our cars until a call is over?
[snapback]148037[/snapback]

Same thing happened to me, after shutting off the engine, I thought that the call would be put through the cell phone but it didn't. The call continued through the speakers, I walked away from my car to find out if the call would finally be transferred back to my cell phone, it didn't happen. I have to redial to restablish connection.
BTW, I'm using a V551 Motorla.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I had two loaners with BT.
The one I am driving currently has the same problem, just as described above.
But the one I drove anout six months earlier didn't had this problem. It worked as you expect. The phone got transfered to the cellphone when shutting off the car and when you were talking on the cellphone and start the engine it got connected to the car.
Maybe something changed in the E60's software.

I haven't tried this, but maybe if you push the idrive controller you will get a little options menu for disconnecting? I dunno.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:05 AM
Members

Okay, I did some experimentation, but no answer yet. If I am already on the phone and start up the car, the call transfers to the speakerphone in the car. Cool. However, I cannot find any way to get the call to transfer back to the phone if you must park the car. Iceman's thought about clicking I drive was a good one, but I did not get a menu option except end call and add digits.

Also, I have found that call waiting does not work. The incoming call info is displayed on the phone's screen, but not on the I drive screen. Is this normal?

I am using a Motorola V710 by Verizon.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Hhhmmm...
I use the Nokia 6310i and the incoming-call info is transfered to the CID. It takes two or three seconds, but it works.
Since I have the same problem with the loaner (call not transfered back to phone when engine shut off) I guess it's a software problem. I remember I had a loaner once where it worked, so hopefully it will be fixed soon... I dunno...
Old 07-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jul 12 2005, 07:02 PM
Hhhmmm...
I use the Nokia 6310i and the incoming-call info is transfered to the CID. It takes two or three seconds, but it works.
Since I have the same problem with the loaner (call not transfered back to phone when engine shut off) I guess it's a software problem. I remember I had a loaner once where it worked, so hopefully it will be fixed soon... I dunno...
[snapback]148480[/snapback]

I've posted this before, but not in its own thread. The car will continue to handle the call even after shut off -until- you disconnect using your phone. With my phone, it notifies me that I am getting out of range of the handsfree device (the car) and allows me to select the option of continuing the call on the handset. If I press the button, this releases the car, and the call continues on the phone handset. I trusted that the car was disconnected, and when I returned it did not have any issues with battery or power drain warnings.

Bottom line, you kind of have to ignore the fact that the speaker and mic in the car are still handling the call and just lock and walk away from it. My phone prompted me at about 10-15 ft.

I have a V600 from AT&T (now Cingular). The CID phone number and the name I have assigned to it in my phonebook appear on my iDrive screen when I get an incoming call.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Jul 13 2005, 04:02 AM
Bottom line, you kind of have to ignore the fact that the speaker and mic in the car are still handling the call and just lock and walk away from it.? My phone prompted me at about 10-15 ft.
[snapback]148500[/snapback]
but in the first loaner with Bt that I drove it disconnect right away when you shut the engine off. :'(
Old 07-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jul 13 2005, 02:40 PM
[quote name='UUronL' date='Jul 13 2005, 04:02 AM']Bottom line, you kind of have to ignore the fact that the speaker and mic in the car are still handling the call and just lock and walk away from it.? My phone prompted me at about 10-15 ft.
[snapback]148500[/snapback]
but in the first loaner with Bt that I drove it disconnect right away when you shut the engine off. :'(
[snapback]148758[/snapback]
[/quote]

Interesting. I know that my car was delivered just this April, so maybe they changed to the behavior I described in more recent CIP revisions. I could see benefits to either implementation, but it would be nicer to have a selectable option:

>shut BT down when engine is shut off [yes/no]

Shouldn't be too hard. BMW - are you listening?