Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Does idrive screen show work, mobile and home?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i delivery end of Feb. 2006 Jet Black| Black Interior| Sports Package| Manual | Cold Weather| Comfort Access| Sun Shades| Premium Sound Package | Sat. Radio| M Aero Kit | Rear Spoiler

I don't have my car yet but, I just picked up my new E815 cell phone and was wondering if the idrive screen shows if the number is a work number, cell or home or do I have to manually type it in the phone so it says Carolyn mobile or Carolyn home?

Thanks,
Toni
Old 02-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Members

automatically does it...
Old 02-19-2006, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Sorry, but I beg to differ on this one. On the 815 when you program a contact you can program multiple numbers for the contact and an icon tells you on the handset which number is Home. Work,Cel, however on the I-Drive screen " Carolyn's" name will be displayed 3 times with a telephone number beside each of the 3 entries, BUT, you will not be able to tell which number is assigned to Home, Work or Cell.

The only way to have this information displayed on the I-drive screen is to create a separate contact for each of "Carolyn's" numbers. When you program the contact into the 815 you have to type in Carolyn's name as follows.

Carolyn Home 1234567
Carolyn Work 8586579
Carlyn Cell 4569873

If you create a separate contact for each of her numbers and enter her name as noted above, your I-Drive screen will display her name as it has been entered into the 815.

I only did this for contacts that I did not have each of their numbers commited to memory. The ones that I know I left as is, however it is a bit distracting when driving to start reading numbers and then scrolling to the right one, so I suggest that unless you have tons of contacts that you take the time in the beginning to do it properly and program a seperate contact for each multiple number.

Also if you plan to use voice recognition button on your steering wheel, you will also have to program it in your car and not your handset. I stopped using voice dialing on both my phone and I-Drive as everytime I blurted out a name to call , it called my local Pizza joint that I also have programmed into my Cell, well not exactly, but I find it to be a real pain as you are always having to repeat the command and if you have multiple numbers as discussed above, it always calls the wrong one.

Good luck and if you have any other questions, feel free.

Gabman
Old 02-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i delivery end of Feb. 2006 Jet Black| Black Interior| Sports Package| Manual | Cold Weather| Comfort Access| Sun Shades| Premium Sound Package | Sat. Radio| M Aero Kit | Rear Spoiler

Originally Posted by gabman' post='242711' date='Feb 19 2006, 08:22 AM
Sorry, but I beg to differ on this one. On the 815 when you program a contact you can program multiple numbers for the contact and an icon tells you on the handset which number is Home. Work,Cel, however on the I-Drive screen " Carolyn's" name will be displayed 3 times with a telephone number beside each of the 3 entries, BUT, you will not be able to tell which number is assigned to Home, Work or Cell.

The only way to have this information displayed on the I-drive screen is to create a separate contact for each of "Carolyn's" numbers. When you program the contact into the 815 you have to type in Carolyn's name as follows.

Carolyn Home 1234567
Carolyn Work 8586579
Carlyn Cell 4569873

If you create a separate contact for each of her numbers and enter her name as noted above, your I-Drive screen will display her name as it has been entered into the 815.

I only did this for contacts that I did not have each of their numbers commited to memory. The ones that I know I left as is, however it is a bit distracting when driving to start reading numbers and then scrolling to the right one, so I suggest that unless you have tons of contacts that you take the time in the beginning to do it properly and program a seperate contact for each multiple number.

Also if you plan to use voice recognition button on your steering wheel, you will also have to program it in your car and not your handset. I stopped using voice dialing on both my phone and I-Drive as everytime I blurted out a name to call , it called my local Pizza joint that I also have programmed into my Cell, well not exactly, but I find it to be a real pain as you are always having to repeat the command and if you have multiple numbers as discussed above, it always calls the wrong one.

Gabman
Thanks so much for the detailed message Gabman. I don't have a long contact list so I am going to type each as a seperate contact. So far I really like the phone!!
Old 02-20-2006, 03:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by Toni' post='242936' date='Feb 19 2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks so much for the detailed message Gabman. I don't have a long contact list so I am going to type each as a seperate contact. So far I really like the phone!!
Toni,

I want to clarify something in my post to you. On the E815 when you program a contact first you type in the persons name and then press done and then it brings you to the field to enter the phone number. When you enter the contacts name type in Carolyn Home, do not type in Carolyn's number is the name decription, the number gets inputed in the field for tel number.

Also do not forget to enter area codes for all numbers programmed into your E815

Gabman
Old 02-20-2006, 06:44 AM
Members

Hey Gabman,

Thanks for clarifying but, I did understand your message. Last night I made all single entries for each number and I input "Carolyn Mobile" and "Carolyn Home" so I can differentiate each entry on the idrive. I am getting my car the end of this week and thanks to you I am going to be all set!!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gabman' post='242711' date='Feb 19 2006, 11:22 AM

Carolyn Home 1234567
Carolyn Work 8586579
Carlyn Cell 4569873

Gabman
On the blackberry, it shows up as 'Carolyn - Home', 'Carolyn-Worl'. automatically. Only one contact in my phone with multiple phone numbers. So it sounds like whatever phone you have does not work well with Idrive...
Old 02-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PabloR' post='243912' date='Feb 21 2006, 07:59 PM
On the blackberry, it shows up as 'Carolyn - Home', 'Carolyn-Worl'. automatically. Only one contact in my phone with multiple phone numbers. So it sounds like whatever phone you have does not work well with Idrive...
PabloR,

When Toni started this thread, he was asking about the Motorola E 815 and my replies addressed this specific model. We all know that each Cell phone manufacturer configures their phones differently and as such you get different results in I-Drive.

I hope that you will be able to get continued service with your Blackberry in the USA, as things are looking very dicey for Blackberry's manufacturer, Research In Motion as result of their alleged pattent infridgement in the USA.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gabman' post='244105' date='Feb 22 2006, 04:28 AM
PabloR,

When Toni started this thread, he was asking about the Motorola E 815 and my replies addressed this specific model. We all know that each Cell phone manufacturer configures their phones differently and as such you get different results in I-Drive.

I hope that you will be able to get continued service with your Blackberry in the USA, as things are looking very dicey for Blackberry's manufacturer, Research In Motion as result of their alleged pattent infridgement in the USA.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:15 AM
Members

I certainly Hope so!!!!