Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Does the I-Phone work

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.
Thumbs up

I have all of the good, the bad and the ugly directed at the new i-phone and since I'm not a geek and barely understand what you guys are talking about, I would just like to know the following.

Does the i-phone work? How easy is it to opporate? Would you buy it again?

I have never been one of these guys that has to have the latest and greatest toys, but this phone is so cool that I just ordered one online. I hope I won't be sorry.

Let me know, PLEASE.........
Old 07-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Why didn't you ask before you ordered one?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

First I'll say that yes, I'm a geek and a toy freak. I've been cut more times than I care to think about. Just behind me sits my first 56" HDTV with D-VHS that I purchased in the Fall of 1998. You get the picture.

Standard disclaimer aside, I want things that just work and it's been a few years since I've risked getting another cut from being on the edge. My phones over the last few years have been traditional for the minor exception of a QWERTY Motorola A630 and Blackberrys used for work -- I can't stand the BB. The iPhone is great. It's not that there aren't phones out there that can do the same thing it does. Some will even do some of the things better. But the way that Apple has packaged all the functions and integrated them is revolutionary. There are lots of people talking (good and bad) about this phone for good reason.

There are problems with the phone, it's a first release and the first phone Apple has made. So there are clearly some features that were left out at the time of release: ability to use the phone to transfer files between computers, AIM, no Flash support, and no voice dialing (not a problem with the E60). I've run into situations where the browser crashes (seems to happen while scrolling on very long pages). There will likely be fixes released via software updates to resolve some of these issues. Apple has a fairly good track record with updates and many are expecting feature enhancements by October.

The biggest drawback that I have seen with the phone is the network itself. ATT seems to have marginal coverage in many areas. In fact, my previous TMobile phone had much better coverage in the area where I work and play than ATT. For that matter, TMobile was also better than my other Verizon phone in this area but your mileage may vary. As far as network in this area I would rate the players like this... 1. TMobile, 2. Verizon, 3. ATT, 4. Sprint, 5. Nextel (Sprint iDEN). Rating is based on coverage and not speed of data. This is purely based on unscientific facts and soley on my experience with each of these carries. Up until last week I actually had phones from each of these carriers for personal or work reasons that I could compare side by side.

Would I buy another iPhone? Sure. I'm even trying to get the wife into one but she feels overwhelmed by it and fears dropping the phone. She may just stick with her RAZR.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='444951' date='Jul 8 2007, 07:06 PM
Why didn't you ask before you ordered one?
How much fun would that be? Anyway, I played with the phone at the Cingular store and it was nicer than I'd expected. Also the i-phone was smaller than I thought which is great for me, I like smaller easy to carry phones. You only live once
Old 07-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

In addition to hearing additional input on the OP's question, I'd like hear feedback with respect to another iPhone question...

I realize that many of us here are technology oriented people who are very adept at operating electronic gadgets, computers, cell phones, and, of course, the E60. (In case anyone hasn't figured it out yet, I'm clearly one of those people too -- one that can figure out how to use a device to it's fullest with little need for a manual or tech support.)

What I'm trying to determine is if the iPhone is simple to operate and/or figure out for someone who is technologically challenged. (Try to imagine the most technologically challenged person ever -- that's the person I'm talking about...) I always have trouble evaluating this kind of thing because I have a difficult time putting myself in the "challenged" person's shoes to see if he'd be able to figure it out.

Is there anyone out there who's tech challenged (big time) but has found the iPhone simple to use? The main functions I'm interested in learning about right now would be the phone itself and the contact manager. Email would be secondary if at all. Remember, we're talking about someone who struggles with these kinds of things on a daily basis and is also tough to teach new things to.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='444998' date='Jul 8 2007, 10:07 PM
What I'm trying to determine is if the iPhone is simple to operate and/or figure out for someone who is technologically challenged.
Doubtful
Old 07-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='445028' date='Jul 8 2007, 11:43 PM
Doubtful
Thanks. I had a feeling it would be too good to be true...
Old 07-09-2007, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='444998' date='Jul 8 2007, 10:07 PM
Is there anyone out there who's tech challenged (big time) but has found the iPhone simple to use? The main functions I'm interested in learning about right now would be the phone itself and the contact manager. Email would be secondary if at all. Remember, we're talking about someone who struggles with these kinds of things on a daily basis and is also tough to teach new things to.
While I may get sent to the couch for saying this, who you're describing is my wife. She's my barometer for how the average person deals with technology. She can figure the phone out easily but feels intimidated by it anyway. I think her biggest fear is dropping the $600 slick and shiny phone.

*Disclaimer: She's a very smart person who went to a very prestigious school and graduated in the top of her class. She's a people person not a tech person
Old 07-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='445028' date='Jul 8 2007, 08:43 PM
Doubtful
My dad was able to use mine, and he doesn't even know how to turn on a computer. So I would say that it is easy to operate/figure out for someone that is technologically challenged
Old 07-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Contributors

I got one for myself and one for my wife and we both love it ( at first she didn't want it but now she doesn't want anything else )

I would say it's a cool gadget and easy to use you won't regret it.

That's just my 2 Cents
Rich

Quick Reply: Does the I-Phone work