Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Dealer able to get BTUM to work

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 06:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver Grey Metallic 545i, Logic 7, Comfort Seats with Black Dakota Leather, Sirius Satellite Radio, Euro Reflectors, Aux Input Build Date 9/03

Ok, after installing ejectbox and dealer reprogramming, the BTUM is not being recognized in the i-drive menu of my 545. It says "Please connect or turn on portable". Before the programming it said "Please contact your BMW service center", so obviously the programming did do something. My cell phone pairs fine with the BTUM, it just appears the car isn't "seeing" the BTUM. So what now? I am wondering if perhaps I need a cpt9000 to be recognized first since the BTUM is a replacement for the cpt9000. Does anybody out there know? Another problem is I cannot find a cpt9000 that is a GSM model (i.e. uses a sim card) which is what my network is. And my dealer does not carry cpt9000s anymore. Any ideas anybody?, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Scott

Note: I have never had a cpt9000 in my car. The ejectbox was a new install with no installation of the cpt9000.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

My BTUM would not work at first either. I took it to the dealer and they told me the switch in the eject box that is behind the BTUM needs to be pushed completely forward and engage in the bottom of the BTUM. That worked for me. If you cannot find the Motorola V-60i and still need one, I can ship you mine which is GSM for Cingular. I don't have they sim card, it is now in my Razr.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver Grey Metallic 545i, Logic 7, Comfort Seats with Black Dakota Leather, Sirius Satellite Radio, Euro Reflectors, Aux Input Build Date 9/03

Originally Posted by jtp1947' post='274358' date='Apr 26 2006, 01:26 PM
My BTUM would not work at first either. I took it to the dealer and they told me the switch in the eject box that is behind the BTUM needs to be pushed completely forward and engage in the bottom of the BTUM. That worked for me. If you cannot find the Motorola V-60i and still need one, I can ship you mine which is GSM for Cingular. I don't have they sim card, it is now in my Razr.
Will it work in the ejectbox? Is it a motorola V60i or BMW's branded version?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

It worked in my eject box before I got the BTUM. It is a Motorola V-60i and is stamped BMW and only works with Cingular.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jtp1947' post='274381' date='Apr 26 2006, 02:13 PM
It worked in my eject box before I got the BTUM. It is a Motorola V-60i and is stamped BMW and only works with Cingular.
I pushed the switch as far forward as it could go and no success so How much for your V60i?
Old 04-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I have the same problem with my car, they replaced the tcu yesterday and the new one still did not recognize the cradle tech called bmw back and determined it was the wrong one so the expressed one in today however they were still haveing problems before closeing as i did not get the call to come and pick up my car will give them a call again tomorrow and see if success is at hand. Now my thinking and i have told my SA is that if they can not get this BMW approved mod to work then they need to buy back this pos and give me a car that works. He stated that they wont buy back a car for this issue. I stated that we will see as i see it my car has some electrical troubles if this wont work which spells doom for me in the future i may not even be able to add a cd changer at this point. Its funny thou when i first purchased the car my phone and steering functions worked and after the first update they shut it off, why i dont know but i will keep you posted on my plight as the first time they had the car for a month for this and it did not work when i got it back, now they have had it for 4 days, loaners are great but i like what i am paying for.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ATLESixty' post='274316' date='Apr 26 2006, 10:43 AM
Another problem is I cannot find a cpt9000 that is a GSM model (i.e. uses a sim card) which is what my network is. And my dealer does not carry cpt9000s anymore. Any ideas anybody?, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,

Scott
Note: I have never had a cpt9000 in my car. The ejectbox was a new install with no installation of the cpt9000.
To me, it sounds like they just haven't gotten the programming right for the CPT9000. To the car, the BTUM paired with your phone should "look" like a CPT9000 -- as long as the car is setup right.

As far as you not being able to find a GSM CPT9000, it shouldn't matter. Any CPT9000 phone, regardless of carrier or mode, should work if the car is programmed properly. Again, the car doesn't know what carrier you have, it just knows how to communicate with the CPT9000 that's installed in the cradle.

Does the dealer have any customers that have the CPT9000? Maybe they can arrange to borrow one from someone for a few hours?

Can't the dealer get any help from BMW via PUMA or other means of support?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

[/quote]

This is the 3rd Puma case they have opened on my car for this retrofit i am given them all the time they need but time and paitients is wearing thin.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='274570' date='Apr 26 2006, 08:52 PM
To me, it sounds like they just haven't gotten the programming right for the CPT9000. To the car, the BTUM paired with your phone should "look" like a CPT9000 -- as long as the car is setup right.

As far as you not being able to find a GSM CPT9000, it shouldn't matter. Any CPT9000 phone, regardless of carrier or mode, should work if the car is programmed properly. Again, the car doesn't know what carrier you have, it just knows how to communicate with the CPT9000 that's installed in the cradle.

Does the dealer have any customers that have the CPT9000? Maybe they can arrange to borrow one from someone for a few hours?

Basically they said they have done all they can do and have left it up to me to find a cpt9000. Seems ridiculous that my dealer could not get a cpt9000 from BMW NA to try to resolve this problem.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Not sure if it will help but have you called BMW NA yourself for any possible assistance?

Quick Reply: Dealer able to get BTUM to work