Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Compatable Phone options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

Anyone have a (wired) phone currently installed in their E60? I am looking for any set-up that will work w/US E60 so I can use the voice command and dash display. I know the BT is coming out eventually, but I fear there will be problems, based on the E60 issues I've heard so far. New technology always tricky at first. Any help? My dealer isn't. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:47 AM
Members

yes, there's servie for verizon and cingular available, although the bmw wireless website states that for our zip, sprint pcs is also available. however, the dealership doesn't have a clue about this recent parts bulletin and suggested that i wait instead. since i'm a current sprint customer, it would be foolish to get another line from a different carrier. i would rather have my current sprint account to work on my car and enjoy the hands free calling convenience. check into this site it may be helpful:

https://tcg.motorola.com/bmw/

username: bmwna
password: digital

good luck and please post any good info you may find. thanks,

gonzo
Old 05-20-2004, 03:50 AM
Contributors

Hi! Ok, I'm in the same boat you're in. I have Sprint as my carrier, and already have two lines (Treo 600 is my main phone), and a Novatel wireless card (btw, this is EXCELLENT if you travel as much as I do).

The question for me is two fold. Do I wait for the Bluetooth? If so, then the Treo 600 isn't bluetooth, and I'd have to upgrade it when the bluetooth option comes out OR trade it for another Bluetooth phone (not sure if sprint even has any). Hmm

ORRRR,

Get the BMW built in phone for SPRINT and add a 3rd line. Ugh.

I just can't decide. It's not worth $500ish that BMW wants. I saw someone figured out how to use the BMW Assist phone line with Verizon, but wanted to wait to see how this worked out for him. I tried giving sprint the ESN number of the BMW assist, but they said it wouldn't work with their system.

Other info: If you haven't read the thread titiled 'Bluetooth Availability - Tech Update, E60 Bluetooth Phone Systems' you should. It gets kinda technical, but will give you some details on how these systems work.

Also, I downloaded a pdf of the 'Recommended Bluetooth Phones' with Model and Carrier based on some login I found on this site (I think it was the BMW portal from Motorola Oh here it is www.bmwwireless.com login bmwna , password digital). In any event, the recommended phones were : sony Ericsson T68i (I have one of these for my old T-mobile acct), Sony E T616, Sony T610, Nokia 6310i, and Siemens S56/S55 .

Of course, if you go with the built in model, then it doesn't really matter!

I hope I didn't make this more confusing!

James
Old 05-20-2004, 03:58 AM
Members

hi james! i think i am more confused now!!

anyway, sprint has this new phone , the v60v, supposedly replacing the v60i that sprint has on their website, which retails for only like $50 after instant savings - when i last checked. in any case, so i call the dealer and ask them, what if i buy this sprint motorola phone and get the eject box from them and have them install it - would it work? well, guess what, the dealer said that bmw has this proprietary stuff on their phones that the software is different, that it would only cause more electrical glitches with the car, etc., etc. not much help there! dealership also suggested wait for bluetooth instead. i guess i'll wait and see. thanks.

gonzo
Old 05-20-2004, 04:15 AM
Contributors

Yeah, I think that's the position I'm in as well----wait and see. I got the car in mid april, so maybe by the time the Bluetooth retrofit kit comes out I'll be ready for a new 'toy'.

James