Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Car phone suddenly ring

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 12:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

hi everyone,

i have a 530i with PP and Pre-Nav. only.

Tonight when I driving on the road, listening my favorite CD. Suddenly, the music

muted, then the car phone ring. So, i pushed the button on the steering wheel and

answer the call. The guy ask me" is Bill there? "

I said " No, can you tell me which number you dialed? "

He said " oh sorry, got the wrong number" then he hand up.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? remember! i do not have a phone package.

Is there a phone number to every E60?

Thanks.

Oh, by the way, My car is Pre wired for Nav. Can anyone tell me is the Nav.

available for my car yet? How much i have to paid? and is that good?

any good dealer in S. California?

thanks again!

nick
Old 07-31-2004, 12:33 AM
Senior Members

nick, man, are you trying to tell us a horror story ? that sounds quite haunted . but i can almost guarantee you won't be able to duplicate the same "problem" to the service guys in the dealer. i think only way to solve this is buy some garlics .
Old 07-31-2004, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by nick' date='Jul 31 2004, 10:19 AM
Can anyone tell me what's going on? remember! i do not have a phone package.

Is there a phone number to every E60?
That happened before to others in the US.
You have a phone, the BMW Assist phone. This has a phone number!
I think I remember someone said that there is a number on the little plastic card where the BT passkey is on, that looks like a phone number, and that in fact is the phone number. I think you just needed to add the area code or some like that... I don't really remember, but there is a phone in your car with a phone number.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:37 AM
Contributors

I wonder what BMW would do if we all figured out our phone numbers and started having calls being forwarded to the car. Wouldn't they see a ton of usage attributed to BMW Assist? I wonder if they'd send a bill.

james
Old 07-31-2004, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Iceman is correct. I remember reading posts from a bunch of E60 owners here in the US that accidently received calls in their cars. They did find out that the EIN (?) number on the Bluetooth card was in fact their phone number. But I also remember reading that BMW included a "FIX" for this "problem" in one of their software updates, and people who got the software update could not receive calls anymore.

rodybmw
Old 07-31-2004, 12:36 PM

what bluetooth card are you guys referring to??
Old 07-31-2004, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Jul 31 2004, 10:36 PM
what bluetooth card are you guys referring to??
The little plastic card you receive with your car with all the codes on it. There was a BT passkey on it.
I remember one guy even managed to get a phone number for the phone through his provider.
But if this is "fixed" with a software update...
Old 07-31-2004, 01:50 PM
Members

The car's phone number for Assist equipped cars appears to be the MIN# printed on the bluetooth passkey card that comes with the manuals and it seems to accept incoming calls. Be sure to read your bmw assist agreement to determine whether or not such use violates the agreement.

Is it confirmed that the assist phone uses Verizon? If so, because the phone has an ESN#, seems like you could just call Verizon and tell them you bought a new phone and activate service with them using the assist phone's ESN#? IMO it's dumb to have to do the bluetooth install for $500 and get a bluetooth phone when we already paid for the cellular equipment that's included in the Assist package.

BMW would be smart to allow assist owners to easily sign up for a monthly cell phone service to make outgoing calls but I don't see that happening so figuring out how to activate the phone's ESN# on a supporting provider is probably the only way to go.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by samyt' date='Jul 31 2004, 11:50 PM
Is it confirmed that the assist phone uses Verizon? If so, because the phone has an ESN#, seems like you could just call Verizon and tell them you bought a new phone and activate service with them using the assist phone's ESN#?
I don't remember if it was verizon, but I think so...
Anyways, the trick seems to work only before you activate BMW Assist. Once BMW Assist is activated, the built in phone is somehow a BMW Assist ONLY phone and can't get a new number assigned... That's what I remember, but as I said, I'm not sure about it, since this was posted a long time ago and I have the BMW phone pro, so I don't need the BMW Assist phone.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Keep in mind that if you were able to activate the phone with Verizon, you could only use it for incoming calls. It would be impossible to make outgoing calls since you have no interface to the Assist phone.

Quick Reply: Car phone suddenly ring