Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Can someone explain "Communications"

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue 530i. Sport package, Auto, Premium package, xenon headlights. Mods to come!

Can someone explain the "communications" icon on my idrive? And why I have a steering wheel with phone buttons on it and microphones in the ceiling next to sunroof button if I can't get bluetooth? Why would I have I have those buttons when I'm told my car can't have bluetooth. (9/04 build) Everytime I hit the communications button it says "contact BMW service for more information" What does that mean? What more information can I get other than them telling me the buttons on my steering wheel are useless as are the mircophones! I want more out of my Idrive! it would be a cool feature if it did anything other than work the radio! (No Nav.)
Old 07-27-2005, 07:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Interior w/poplar wood trim, Tinted Windows, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Stick-shift, Bluetooth, AUX Input

HPdrifter,

Check the bluetooth forums, 9/04 production models can have Bluetooth. Mine is a 04/04 production date, and I got bluetooth done.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

9/04 is a 2005 model year. I think he meant to type 9/03.

Originally Posted by ajay' date='Jul 27 2005, 11:51 AM
HPdrifter,

Check the bluetooth forums, 9/04 production models can have Bluetooth. Mine is a 04/04 production date, and I got bluetooth done.
[snapback]153561[/snapback]
Old 07-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hpdrifter' date='Jul 27 2005, 10:01 AM
Can someone explain the "communications" icon on my idrive? And why I have a steering wheel with phone buttons on it and microphones in the ceiling next to sunroof? button if I can't get bluetooth? Why would I have I have those buttons when I'm told my car can't? have bluetooth. (9/04 build) Everytime I hit the communications? button it says "contact BMW service for more information" What does that mean? What more information can I get other than them telling me the buttons on my steering wheel are useless as are the mircophones! I want more out of my Idrive! it would be a cool feature if it did anything other than work the radio! (No Nav.)
[snapback]153551[/snapback]
this is so you car can be used with phone cradle not bluetooth, however i just installed a brand new motorola hands free bluetooth kit, that in my opinion is a step better than the idrive bluetooth phone setup. This motorola unit is all voice operated and needs no screen to use, you want to call home say call home and the phone is dialin. I have installed this in an 04 that is not bluetooth ready. looks and operates perfect. Guys at my dealer love this as a optinion for the users that have early built e60's look below for the pic this unit is tiny....

details below
Just touch the blue button and the blnc IHF1000 car kit will listen to your command and make calls for you. The system?s brilliant sound quality with noise reduction and high output sound optimizes sound quality for all parties in conference. With the voice operated control features and high performance audio, you are in the driver?s seat.

The stylish, backlit controller with its chrome-brushed finish mounts within easy reach on the dashboard. The simple voice menu prompts and the controller make it easy to:

Pair compatible Bluetooth enabled mobile phones
Answer incoming calls
Mute and un-mute calls
Dial by name with up to 20 locally stored contacts
Dial by number
Dial by the mobile phone keypad
Request system help
Multiple Languages
The system also supports voice recognition in multiple languages including English (US and UK), French (EU), Spanish, Italian and German. So, regardless of who is doing the talking, or in what language, there is no need to ?train? the system.

One Car ? Multiple Drivers
Multiple people can enjoy the blnc IHF1000 car kit. Up to four compatible Bluetooth enabled mobile phones can be paired to the system at a time, and easily switched between phones using the voice operated controls.

Advanced Phone-Dependent Features(2)
In addition to the system?s core features, the blnc IHF1000 makes communicating while you?re on the go more fun than ever. The voice operated system and the controller, allow you to:

make calls using voice tags or name dial (as many as the mobile phone supports)
redial the last number or transfer in and out of privacy mode
accept or reject call waiting calls
transfer audio to hands-free
toggle between multi-party calls.
The blnc IHF1000 car kit gives you seamless mobility to transition call audio from the mobile phone to the vehicle without interrupting the conversation.

Bluetooth Hands-free Profile
The blnc IHF1000 car kit supports Bluetooth hands-free profile. Your phone must support this profile. For Motorola phones visit the customer support page at www.hellomoto.com/us/bluetoothcompatibility. For other phones, contact the manufacturer.Can someone explain "Communications"-blnc.jpg
Old 07-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

i will post pics of the install once car is picked up today from the dealer....looks factory everything hidden. Anyone else seen these units there hard to get and retail for 300.00 US
Old 07-27-2005, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tomwid' date='Jul 27 2005, 11:08 AM
9/04 is a 2005 model year.? I think he meant to type 9/03.

[quote name='ajay' date='Jul 27 2005, 11:51 AM']HPdrifter,

[snapback]153561[/snapback]
[snapback]153570[/snapback]
[/quote]
i thought the same thing........
Old 07-27-2005, 04:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Hpdrifter' date='Jul 27 2005, 11:01 AM
Can someone explain the "communications" icon on my idrive? And why I have a steering wheel with phone buttons on it and microphones in the ceiling next to sunroof? button if I can't get bluetooth? Why would I have I have those buttons when I'm told my car can't? have bluetooth. (9/04 build) Everytime I hit the communications? button it says "contact BMW service for more information" What does that mean? What more information can I get other than them telling me the buttons on my steering wheel are useless as are the mircophones! I want more out of my Idrive! it would be a cool feature if it did anything other than work the radio! (No Nav.)
If you have a MY2004 then ur build date is not 09/04. If ur build date is 09/04 u are bluetooth capable regardless of dealer claims otherwise. If really 09/03 then u may or may not be bluetooth ready depending on TCU. U really need to do this on the Bluetooth forum where there is all the info you need.

As far as early builds there non-bluetooth system was the CPT9000 using the buttons and mic u have. CPT9000 now replaced by bluetooth.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hpdrifter' date='Jul 27 2005, 10:01 AM
What more information can I get other than them telling me the buttons on my steering wheel are useless as are the mircophones!

This

It is not only for BLUETOOTH. I use them all the time and I have a traditional Motorola V90 that plugs into the cradle and works perfectly hands free with those buttons as well as the mics. As was pointed out the mics are also for giving voice commands to the car.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue 530i. Sport package, Auto, Premium package, xenon headlights. Mods to come!

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Jul 27 2005, 08:09 PM
It is not only for BLUETOOTH. I use them all the time and I have a traditional Motorola V90 that plugs into the cradle and works perfectly hands free with those buttons as well as the mics. As was pointed out the mics are also for giving voice commands to the car.
[snapback]153850[/snapback]

What voice commands can you give your car?
Also sorry for the confusion above you guys are right I mis typed my production date. It actually is a 8/5/03 production date and the car doesn't have the TCU needed for bluetooth. I have a Motorola Bluetooth headset which works as well as the unit Dinan530 is using. What I wanted was to use the idrive for more than a radio. I'd love to be able to see my address book scroll up on the screen and be able to call from there.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Hpdrifter' date='Jul 29 2005, 09:47 AM
[quote name='skipper' date='Jul 27 2005, 08:09 PM']

[snapback]153850[/snapback]

What voice commands can you give your car?
Also sorry for the confusion above you guys are right I mis typed my production date. It actually is a 8/5/03 production date and the car doesn't have the TCU needed for bluetooth. I have a Motorola Bluetooth headset which works as well as the unit Dinan530 is using. What I wanted was to use the idrive for more than a radio. I'd love to be able to see my address book scroll up on the screen and be able to call from there.
[snapback]154319[/snapback]
[/quote]
As far as what voice comands can you give your car, go to the back of your manual, pages 199-201 the list is pretty long.That should help you out.
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: Can someone explain "Communications"