Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BT Compatible TCU Transiiton Dates

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

My car is in the shop today with the hope that BT can be activated. While at the dealer, they confirmed that my car is March 04 production BUT production was started on Feb 28 and completed (status 160) on March 1, 2004.

Can anyone confirm that all 03/04 Production is BT compatible or is it after a specific date in March that the different TCU was used?

I will report back as soon as I hear something but would appreciate any information other members can share.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Contributors

Mine was very similar to your situation, and my TCU is not compatible. Although I'm not sure if that's the case or if the BMW center I used just didn't know that they needed to install version 13.2 and up....

Please post what happens.

James
Old 01-13-2005, 09:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ademitt' date='Jan 13 2005, 11:53 AM
My car is in the shop today with the hope that BT can be activated.? While at the dealer, they confirmed that my car is March 04 production BUT production was started on Feb 28 and completed (status 160) on March 1, 2004.?

Can anyone confirm that all 03/04 Production is BT compatible or is it after a specific date in March that the different TCU was used?

I will report back as soon as I hear something but would appreciate any information other members can share.
[snapback]78784[/snapback]
I have a completion date 1 day B4 you, 2/28/04.
BMWNA didn't know if the TCUs changed on 3/1/04 or not but that was the tentative date they gave me for Bluetooth being possible.
Logically I would think the TCU production date, rather than the car production date, would be the key but who knows...
Look forward to hearing your results.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Here is the latest. The car was in the shop for the better part of the day. When they attempted to activate BT, they were instructed by the computer interface to update software in various components. They ended up having to update most of the component software from 13.2 to 15.0. Serious issues with faults and with coding problems. At one point, the computer said that the TCU was damaged and had to be replaced!!

When I got there to retrieve my car around 5:30, they were still trying to get the BT working but were only able to pair my T637 with the car, nothing else. At this point BMW Assist was dead and the phone was unable able to dial or receive calls (either BT phone or Assist).

As it was well creeping up to 6:30 PM, the Service advisor and Service Manager suggested I take the car home and let it go to sleep as they have had some surprising results in other cars upon wake-up. Parked the car for half an hour, went out started the car and tried an Assist call, worked perfectly. BT now linked up with the car, dialing out no problem, ring tone no problem, unable to answer or to have my voice heard from inside the vehicle.

I will be dropping my car off again the AM in hopes that the voice recognition issue is easily resolved. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Finally, the SM gave me a print out from my car printed during the software update showing the TCU as being built by Motorola and having a part number of 6955688 with a production date of 21.06.2004. WTF?? My car was built on March 1, 2004. The tech working with the SM on the car says he accessed the TCU and he wrote down the part number from the TCU housing as 6948921. I wonder why the difference?

Suggestions or advice greatly appreciated.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:04 AM
Senior Members

My car was built in May04. I had BT installed in December. It works. However, in the process, the tech discovered that my TCU which had an April 04 production date on that unit, was not working for BT. He put in a new TCU that was produced EARLIER, I think from Mar 04 and it worked.

I don't think it is merely the date of the TCU manufacture, but it could also happen from a faulty TCU. The car production date also does not take into account when the TCU was produced, unless they have perfect control of TCU configurations and make certain that from a specific date onward, only those new ones will be used.

There could be some faulty TCUs installed, so don't only assume that the car's production date or the TCUs manufacture date are the only factors.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Members

My Ride: June 2004, 520i, Sapphire Black, Black interior. January 2003, VW Beetle 1.8T, Black Interior & Exterior.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, ALL e60's built after March '04 HAVE the new TCU? I do not have to install it? Is this applicable to cars outside the US, EU and UK? How do I know if I have the new TCU? Mines a 04/04 build.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dindae520i' date='Jan 17 2005, 11:32 PM
So, correct me if I'm wrong, ALL e60's built after March '04 HAVE the new TCU? I do not have to install it? Is this applicable to cars outside the US, EU and UK? How do I know if I have the new TCU? Mines a 04/04 build.?
[snapback]80283[/snapback]
I cannot comment beyond NA as we have Assist paired with BT in our cars. This may change the TCU's design.

The only way I know of to be certain which TCU you have installed is to have your service department access the TCU by removing a cover in the trunk. The part number should be visible on top. The correct part no. in NA is 6955688.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:17 AM
SnakeOil

Just look at these posts! Contemplate for a moment the obvious importance bluetooth has to individuals.

That BMW allows this problem with their vehicle to persist is OUTRAGEOUS.

It is no wonder many are turning to other manufacturers, particularly the Japanese, who understand how to provide quality customer service and functioning electronics.

BMW should be front and center with an economically feasible fix to this whole Bluetooth nonsense. It is downright LUDICROUS that individuals who placed an order at the same time would recieve cars with differing function. For one of these customers to be required to pay thousands of dollars and untold numbers of shop days getting what should be operational in EVERY 2004 E60 is RIDICULOUS.

Get your act together BMW ...
Old 02-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Scott

Originally Posted by SnakeOil' date='Jan 18 2005, 10:17 AM
Just look at these posts!? Contemplate for a moment the obvious importance bluetooth has to individuals.

It is no wonder many are turning to other manufacturers, particularly the Japanese, who understand how to provide quality customer service and functioning electronics.

BMW should be front and center with an economically feasible fix to this whole Bluetooth nonsense. It is downright LUDICROUS that individuals who placed an order at the same time would recieve cars with differing function. For one of these customers to be required to pay thousands of dollars and untold numbers of shop days getting what should be operational in EVERY 2004 E60 is RIDICULOUS.

[snapback]80338[/snapback]
Old 02-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Originally Posted by SnakeOil' date='Jan 18 2005, 10:17 AM
Just look at these posts!? Contemplate for a moment the obvious importance bluetooth has to individuals.

[snapback]80338[/snapback]

It was not listed as available in most countries before the new TCU's came

Quick Reply: BT Compatible TCU Transiiton Dates