Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BMW OEM Car Phone retrofit?? HOW?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]
Thumbs up

I was wondering what it takes to install an OEM BMW onboard phone to an E60???
I have no on board connection at all, no SOS, no Voice command, no assist nothing. Only NAV.
Does it matter (differ) if you want to install a BT craddle/phone and or is it any easier and cheaper to only install the "plain" BMW OEM car phone??

Basicaly said - what is the easiest and cheapest way of having a OEM BMW car phone function in the E60.

I do not need any voice dial, I do not need a bluetooth pairing.... I can just get a dual sim car and that is it or even a new number.

But I was told a major work will need to be done.... wires all the way from trunk area to the front.... centre console out.... roof top out... and I really do not like this..... are not all of the E60 pre-wired to the very basic phone option? is not there a phone microphone in the roof already??? I wish it would be only a plug 'n play for the cetre arm rest and a coding

thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i Mystic Blue, European Delivery, Steptronic, Prem Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Nav, Heads Up, Active Cruise, Rear Sunshade, Rear Side Airbags, Rear Seat Heating, Park Distance Control, Xenon, CPT9000 GSM phone, red rear reflectors, Sirius!!!!

If your car was built on or after 3/04, you should be able to get bluetooth with a software upgrade to iDrive. This will allow you to pair with a bluetooth compatable and, I believe would cost the least amount. Rudy has the most experience with this option (I have a 2/04 build, Rudy has a 3/04 build).

Another option would be to get a CPT9000 phone which is essentially an overpriced Motorola V60 phone which will fit into a hardwired docking station in the center console. This option (unless you can get the components used via ebay) will cost something like $900 from the dealer, including parts and service. The power and antenna wiring is already in place in your e60. It works with iDrive, the microphone, and voice recognition. The CPT9000 also reqires an update to iDrive software to recognize the phone. BMW has several V60s available which will work with major cellulars services, including GSM services, so I assume there is one which will work in your location.

Another option is to get the docking station for the CPT9000, but get the BTUM (bluetooth module) in place of the V60 phone which will then pair with a bluetooth phone. If you want to go the bluetooth route, but have an early build date, this would be the best option and the BTUM will probably cost less than the V60 phone.

I recommend you search on ebay for "CPT9000" and "BTUM." Also search the phone specific forum on this site.

NC530i
Old 06-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

so are you saying that if my car built 5/2004 then I have all the previres???? all I need is a BTUM unit in the trunk and that is it??? plus coding???/ no wires? no antenna wiring all the way to the roof etc etc??
Old 06-10-2006, 02:39 AM
Senior Members

Here in Europe Bluetooth and phone prep (#640) is NOT build in the car from factory!

What NC530i just said is only on US spec cars..

When we bourght our E60 we added option #640, phone prep (mic, wires etc...) and retrofittet Bluetooth in September 2004, when it was avalible for cars with PRO NAV.

So Peter, I think there is no easy way retrofitting a OEM phone into your car. The ULF (bluetooth module) is located in the trunk (left side), and connected to the mic in the front of the car, and the iDrive, to support sound, phonebook etc...

I think nicke60gre did a bluetooth retrofit?
Old 06-10-2006, 03:02 AM
Contributors

E60sims: that is not what I want to hear but good info anyway....

so anyone else with their input? as I said it does not have to be bluetooth...........

I still just need to clarify if in EU specs car there are really no phone preps at all....... so all the wiring has to be done from scratch????
Old 06-10-2006, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's hard to say for sure what you'll need but it's likely that E60Sim is correct about the optional wiring. There are so many differences between countries that my best advice is to call BMW with your VIN and see if they can give you some options.

I imagine that your car is either prewired or not. If prewired, you still might have to get the car coded to whatever solution you end up using (hard wired phone or BT). If not prewired, then you'll likely have a hard time (obviously).