Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BMW and iPhone fully compatible- full report with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

"I understand that we have a lot of haters right now, ..."

Not at all from my viewpoint. and ummm.. I worked for Apple for four years. I loved the company then as I do now. I was in the Enterprise team calling on Apple's top corporate accounts. I think that my viewpoint is valid to say the least.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:50 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='441792' date='Jun 30 2007, 08:41 AM

Not at all from my viewpoint. and ummm.. I worked for Apple for four years. I loved the company then as I do now. I was in the Enterprise team calling on Apple's top corporate accounts. I think that my viewpoint is valid to say the least.
Nickolas,

I wasn't referring to your comment...I was referring to people cherry-picking negative "reviews" of iPhone and posting them here - all from people who haven't even seen or used an iPhone. Also, if you worked in any enterprise group at Apple, you know that iPhone isn't targeted at enterprise.

But you just said iPhone doesn't have VPN support, but it in fact does, and supports many corporate VPN systems out of the box. That said, iPhone isn't going to be a direct replacement for Treos or Blackberrys in corporate/enterprise markets anytime soon, and that's not really its purpose. And while we use Apple heavily in enterprise/datacenter environments for various tasks, I'll be the first person to say Apple isn't an enterprise company.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by das' post='441795' date='Jun 30 2007, 08:50 AM
Nickolas,

I wasn't referring to your comment...I was referring to people cherry-picking negative "reviews" of iPhone and posting them here - all from people who haven't even seen or used an iPhone. Also, if you worked in any enterprise group at Apple, you know that iPhone isn't targeted at enterprise.

But you just said iPhone doesn't have VPN support, but it in fact does, and supports many corporate VPN systems out of the box. That said, iPhone isn't going to be a direct replacement for Treos or Blackberrys in corporate/enterprise markets anytime soon, and that's not really its purpose. And while we use Apple heavily in enterprise/datacenter environments for various tasks, I'll be the first person to say Apple isn't an enterprise company.
I have to agree with you, I don't think Apple ever wanted to design the iPhone as a replacement for Treos or Blackberries, he just offered a gadget to all the Apple fans ans also hoping to attract some of the business people as well. And I agree, Apple isn't an enterprise company
Old 06-30-2007, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545i | Orient Blue | Blk Lthr | Sport | 6 Sp MT | Cold | Logic 7 | Sirius | iPod | Rear Heat | PDC | Rear SRS | NAV | HUD | AngeliBright Blue Up Next: New Radar Detector (Valentine 1 w/remote), SolarGuard 6% on all windows, Italian Euro Plate) '07 ML 500 | Alpine Blue | Blk Lthr | Pkg II | Lighting Pkg | Multicontour Seats | 6 CDC | iPod (Wife's Ride) Fond memories of: '03 540ia (the tightest car I ever owned!)

Originally Posted by das' post='441790' date='Jun 30 2007, 08:35 AM
First, iPhone is not targeted at enterprise.

Second, a user forwarding email to outside, non-company systems in order so it can be checked via IMAP/POP has ZERO to do with the iPhone's "security features". If that is a violation of any corporate policy, it has nothing to do with iPhone. That's a user issue.

Also, IMAP over SSL meets or exceeds any security requirements corporate IT might believe they're fulfilling with integrated solutions. IMAP over SSL is used heavily in academic, government, and military environments that prefer open standards over closed (but admittedly sometimes necessary) groupware systems. That said, secure email using IMAP over SSL, which can be accessed via iPhone AND over a VPN as well if necessary, can be easily provided by any corporate IT department if necessary.

This info is 100% correct, this is a secure device (in some respects)... L2TP over IPSec is solid security, and so is SSL. The issues are around the OS and vulnerabilities through HTTP and other protocols, without A/V or Anti-Spyware on the phone... there is the rub.

Apple OS X vulnerabilites are on the rise, and this phone is going to be ripe for hackers to go after!!!
Old 06-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='441792' date='Jun 30 2007, 06:41 AM

Just for the record, I am not a hater. I love my I-Pod, I think apple makes great products, but I need to provide IT support to the enterprise. My customers want real time functionality and IMAP won't cut the mustard.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I hope I didn't come across as one of the "haters" -- I agree that the iPhone is a breakthrough and truly hope that it becomes something that can eventually work in the enterprise as well as the consumer market. The multi-touch screen alone is enough to create a buzz among consumers (and rightly so) and I can only imagine that the competition will eventually begin to integrate that technology in their offerings as well. To me, that's good news -- the iPhone raised the bar in terms of interface design so I expect things to get even more exciting down the road.

I would love to have an iPhone but for now, because of the lack of enterprise support, I have to wait. Luckily for me, the BlackBerry does things pretty well so the wait isn't painful.

The bigger question is...is the iPhone something my dad can figure out? (Believe me, that's a tall order!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by das' post='441790
Also, IMAP over SSL meets or exceeds any security requirements corporate IT might believe they're fulfilling with integrated solutions. IMAP over SSL is used heavily in academic, government, and military environments that prefer open standards over closed (but admittedly sometimes necessary) groupware systems. That said, secure email using IMAP over SSL, which can be accessed via iPhone AND over a VPN as well if necessary, can be easily provided by any corporate IT department if necessary.
IMAP over SSL doesn't address the core security features such as remote wipe. That was my point.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='441847' date='Jun 30 2007, 12:04 PM
I hope I didn't come across as one of the "haters" -- I agree that the iPhone is a breakthrough
No, not at all. I agree, the iPhone is a great achivement and will set the standard. But it's not for everyone and there are a lot of deficiencies that need to be remedied, some more glaring (EDGE) than others because of the spotlight the phone is in.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:39 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='441893' date='Jun 30 2007, 01:02 PM
Apple WANTS enterprise business but they are not ready for that jump yet. Perhaps soon.
I think that "Apple" wants enterprise business, but Steve Jobs, as CEO, frankly doesn't.

Either way, you're right: they're not ready for that jump, and while Apple sometimes dons enterprise clothing, it isn't in the enterprise market in the same sense as IBM, Dell, EMC, and so on.

IMAP over SSL doesn't address the core security features such as remote wipe. That was my point.
This will be available when Exchange support is added via ActiveSync. I wouldn't call remote wipe a "core security feature", however. A secure communication channel, secure authentication, and other basics are the main security aspects for a remote device. I'm still not saying that the device is appropriate for corporate/enterprise deployments, but a lot of articles are implying that iPhone is somehow "insecure" in general because it doesn't support interaction with corporate groupware systems and functionality by default. There is nothing "secure" nor "insecure" about the iPhone in that regard. It's just the way it is. If users still choose to route email to the device in a rogue fashion or outside of established policy, that's a user issue, not an iPhone issue.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

I find this post very interesting, even though I qualify as someones father; also I have no idea what half of you guys, no, mosy of you guys are talking about. I'm a small business owner who believes in technology to the extent that we can afford it, and at the end of the day we save time and money through the investment.

I have been using a blackberry peal (trying it) I have not purchased one for myself yet because I wanted to see the iphone first. The Pearl is easy to carry and works very well as a phone. I have no problem getting my corporate email or my personal email, don't care about using these devices for photos, but being able to google somthing would be nice.

Just my two cents

Quick Reply: BMW and iPhone fully compatible- full report with pictures