Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BMW Assist and Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009 | 08:27 AM
Members

I have a pre 3/04 (9/03) built 530 with premium package. I've been reading tons of information and trying to get my understanding of Bluetooth in my car. I am planning on making a stop at the dealer to discuss TCU replacement. But, before I do that I have a few questions to pose to the board:

1. I currently have the assist option in idrive and the sos button overhead. When I try to select it to test it it says please contact my dealer. I'd like to test out my microphone communications before I dive into the BT thing. Anyone know how to test this? Is the message I'm receiving due to not having a current subscription with bmw assist?

2. I have read conflicting discussions of microphones in the car. Is there 2 or 1 overhead? Is there anything special regarding mics I need to test or know before I go to the dealer?

3. I'd like to check to see if I have a bluetooth antenna. I've looked over realoem.com and I am having a hard time figuring out what to look for in my trunk. I see the TCU, satellite radio, logic 7 and MOST bus when i look in the trunk. Can anyone point me in a direction or take a picture of what it looks like?

4. I do not have a cd changer in the trunk. Right behind the cd changer I see 2 connectors not being used that appear to be antennas of some sort (one has a spade connector inside what looks similar to the sirius antenna connector. I'll attach a picture later if I can get it off my phone.

5. Does anyone know how to remove the 2nd plastic cover in the trunk. I'm kinda not liking bending it all up and stabbing myself with the hard plastic edges.

Thoughts?
Old 08-17-2009 | 06:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Originally Posted by jonmentor' post='978276' date='Aug 16 2009, 12:27 PM
I have a pre 3/04 (9/03) built 530 with premium package. I've been reading tons of information and trying to get my understanding of Bluetooth in my car. I am planning on making a stop at the dealer to discuss TCU replacement. But, before I do that I have a few questions to pose to the board:

1. I currently have the assist option in idrive and the sos button overhead. When I try to select it to test it it says please contact my dealer. I'd like to test out my microphone communications before I dive into the BT thing. Anyone know how to test this? Is the message I'm receiving due to not having a current subscription with bmw assist?

2. I have read conflicting discussions of microphones in the car. Is there 2 or 1 overhead? Is there anything special regarding mics I need to test or know before I go to the dealer?

3. I'd like to check to see if I have a bluetooth antenna. I've looked over realoem.com and I am having a hard time figuring out what to look for in my trunk. I see the TCU, satellite radio, logic 7 and MOST bus when i look in the trunk. Can anyone point me in a direction or take a picture of what it looks like?

4. I do not have a cd changer in the trunk. Right behind the cd changer I see 2 connectors not being used that appear to be antennas of some sort (one has a spade connector inside what looks similar to the sirius antenna connector. I'll attach a picture later if I can get it off my phone.

5. Does anyone know how to remove the 2nd plastic cover in the trunk. I'm kinda not liking bending it all up and stabbing myself with the hard plastic edges.

Thoughts?

Wow you took all the words out of my mouth. I have a 12/03 with premium and the sos button and all the same issues. I even want to know how to remove the second panel! I hope someone responds. GL
Old 08-18-2009 | 09:05 AM
Members

Add me to that list as well. I have a 12/03 built (No bluetooth). I'm trying to find out what I may have already. I had a full conversation with a BMW rep via the car when I tried to set-up a service appointment on purpose via iDrive communication menu. They heard me perfectly. I have the same questions as you guys.
Old 08-18-2009 | 03:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

All E60's in NA came with telephone prewiring so all you need is included except for a compatible TCU. Up until 03/04 production, the TCU did not allow for both Assist and BT to work simultaneously, only one could function. BMW chose Assist and told buyers that BT would be a future feature. Post -3/04 TCU means that both BT handsfree and Assist will work. They use the same mic for voice activation, BT and Assist. It is in the console next to the sun roof control.

I went through this about 4 -1/2 years ago with my 2004 March 1st production E60. My TCU was incompatible and I needed to replace it. In those days they were $2000 plus in Canada.
Old 08-18-2009 | 07:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

I gave up with my 2/04 build. I went to Verizon Wireless. Their tech suggested a Motorola HF1000, which they ordered for $150. Then they installed it for $75. It is inconspicuous: The speaker is hidden behind a trim panel, the TCU is hidden. The only things that show are the microphone and the tiny control panel. It's not as good as the integrated bluetooth, but it solved the problem.
Old 08-21-2009 | 10:25 AM
Members

I've found out a few things:

1. Read the attached SI from BMW 84 14 05

2. I found out that my 9/03 e60 with Assist has one of the 3 non-upgradable TCU serial numbers. Therefor I will need to replace the TCU ($340) from circlebmw and my indy shop will program it for $150. All in all $500 for a completely integrated bluetooth isn't too bad considering I can sell my old TCU for around $125.

3. I also found out that my nearby dealers will not replace my TCU unless it fails because they have problems with multiple computers in the car failing and needing replacement.

4. I discussed the computer failures at the dealer with my indy shop and they said that all dealers are required to have the same firmware on each computer in the car when it leaves the shop.

Therefor, when the TCU is changed the associated computer has a newer firmware and they are forced to up date all the other computers in the car. This explains why when anyone goes the dealer for programming a 2 hour project turns into a 2 day project.

My indy shop said there is no problem having the computers on different firmware levels and that BMW forces the dealer to update the entire car, indy shops are not required to adhere to that policy.

I think points 3 and 4 are very interesting. I'm having my indy shop install a new TCU next week and we'll see how things go. Whenever I've had the car at the dealer for any updates, maintenance, warranty items, or recalls that the software updates take FOREVER!

Originally Posted by goodman' post='981546' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:16 PM
I gave up with my 2/04 build. I went to Verizon Wireless. Their tech suggested a Motorola HF1000, which they ordered for $150. Then they installed it for $75. It is inconspicuous: The speaker is hidden behind a trim panel, the TCU is hidden. The only things that show are the microphone and the tiny control panel. It's not as good as the integrated bluetooth, but it solved the problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
84_14_05.pdf (85.7 KB, 223 views)
File Type: pdf
B841405_E6x.pdf (58.1 KB, 279 views)
Old 08-25-2009 | 05:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I got mine done at the dealer, it took only a couple of hours. I paid $200 including tax. I guess dealers are not all the same, some know what they do and some are totally clueless. Glad you have found a solution to the problem. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2009 | 09:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

Originally Posted by jonmentor' post='984682' date='Aug 21 2009, 02:25 PM
I've found out a few things:

1. Read the attached SI from BMW 84 14 05

2. I found out that my 9/03 e60 with Assist has one of the 3 non-upgradable TCU serial numbers. Therefor I will need to replace the TCU ($340) from circlebmw and my indy shop will program it for $150. All in all $500 for a completely integrated bluetooth isn't too bad considering I can sell my old TCU for around $125.

3. I also found out that my nearby dealers will not replace my TCU unless it fails because they have problems with multiple computers in the car failing and needing replacement.

4. I discussed the computer failures at the dealer with my indy shop and they said that all dealers are required to have the same firmware on each computer in the car when it leaves the shop.

Therefor, when the TCU is changed the associated computer has a newer firmware and they are forced to up date all the other computers in the car. This explains why when anyone goes the dealer for programming a 2 hour project turns into a 2 day project.

My indy shop said there is no problem having the computers on different firmware levels and that BMW forces the dealer to update the entire car, indy shops are not required to adhere to that policy.

I think points 3 and 4 are very interesting. I'm having my indy shop install a new TCU next week and we'll see how things go. Whenever I've had the car at the dealer for any updates, maintenance, warranty items, or recalls that the software updates take FOREVER!
Let us know how it turns out.