Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth works on pre-03/04 build car

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 06:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i, Orient Blue, bought used with 22000 miles. Grey lether, sport package, BMW Assist, Cold Weather package. Xenons. NOT premium for some reason, I do like the metal finish vs. the wood, but do miss the garage opener.

Hi,

Can anyone help with phone issues on Siemens S56? BT on car seems to be working fine, really think issues are with the phone.

Issues are:

1. Does not upload phone book entries that are NOT on SIM card. SIM card upload works fine.

2. I can choose either of these 2:
a. Caller can hear me (handsfree) but I can't hear them.
b. I can hear caller but they can't hear me.
I can swap which one of these is the case by hitting a button on my phone while the call is in progress, which makes me think it's not the car but the phone options.

Anyone else had these issues? Thanks in adavance!
Old 04-01-2005, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Dont kow about the S56 but for the S55 this is stated here

"Siemens S55 Automatically uploads sim phonebook only"
Old 04-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wrlominick' date='Apr 1 2005, 09:57 AM
Hi,

Can anyone help with phone issues on Siemens S56?? BT on car seems to be working fine, really think issues are with the phone.?

Issues are:

1.? Does not upload phone book entries that are NOT on SIM card.? SIM card upload works fine.

2.? I can choose either of these 2:
? ? a.? Caller can hear me (handsfree) but I can't hear them.
? ? b.? I can hear caller but they can't hear me.
? I can swap which one of these is the case by hitting a button on my phone while the call is in progress, which makes me think it's not the car but the phone options.

Anyone else had these issues?? Thanks in adavance!
[snapback]109855[/snapback]
The problems you're having concerning people hearing you/you hearing them sound like what occurs when you have a pre 3/04 TCU. Bluetooth can be activated but unless you have a newer TCU, no go...
Old 04-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i, Orient Blue, bought used with 22000 miles. Grey lether, sport package, BMW Assist, Cold Weather package. Xenons. NOT premium for some reason, I do like the metal finish vs. the wood, but do miss the garage opener.

I am now thinking you are correct. I was able to make some one sided calls last night and this morning, and I thought I just needed to fiddle with settings. But NOW after getting it back from the dealer again for Aux Input programming (they didn't add it to the menu the first time) I can no longer even get the phone to pick up. Earlier I was able to use voice dial to dial the phone and I could hear the person on the speakers, but this afternoon when I press the button it just makes the radio go silent for a second says "no active calls" then goes back to the radio.

The idiots at the dealer are telling me it's supposed to work and I was eager to beleive them. I paid them $176 and I did say "so, if it breaks after today it's covered under warranty, right?". Now to get a new TCU under warranty and I'm all set.

I also get no sound from the Aux Input even though it's on the menu now. I am really tired of taking this thing in for service!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Rats - Too bad. I can't actually see spending even $700+ to get a phone working in the car.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wrlominick' date='Apr 1 2005, 03:22 PM
I am now thinking you are correct.? I was able to make some one sided calls last night and this morning, and I thought I just needed to fiddle with settings.? But NOW after getting it back from the dealer again for Aux Input programming (they didn't add it to the menu the first time) I can no longer even get the phone to pick up.? Earlier I was able to use voice dial to dial the phone and I could hear the person on the speakers, but this afternoon when I press the button it just makes the radio go silent for a second says "no active calls" then goes back to the radio.?

The idiots at the dealer are telling me it's supposed to work and I was eager to beleive them.? I paid them $176 and I did say "so, if it breaks after today it's covered under warranty, right?".? Now to get a new TCU under warranty and I'm all set.

I also get no sound from the Aux Input even though it's on the menu now.? I am really tired of taking this thing in for service!
[snapback]109930[/snapback]
Let us know if they replace your TCU under warranty or if they refund you your 176 bucks. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Apr 3 2005, 11:49 AM
[quote name='wrlominick' date='Apr 1 2005, 03:22 PM']I am now thinking you are correct.? I was able to make some one sided calls last night and this morning, and I thought I just needed to fiddle with settings.? But NOW after getting it back from the dealer again for Aux Input programming (they didn't add it to the menu the first time) I can no longer even get the phone to pick up.? Earlier I was able to use voice dial to dial the phone and I could hear the person on the speakers, but this afternoon when I press the button it just makes the radio go silent for a second says "no active calls" then goes back to the radio.?

The idiots at the dealer are telling me it's supposed to work and I was eager to beleive them.? I paid them $176 and I did say "so, if it breaks after today it's covered under warranty, right?".?? Now to get a new TCU under warranty and I'm all set.

I also get no sound from the Aux Input even though it's on the menu now.? I am really tired of taking this thing in for service!
[snapback]109930[/snapback]
Let us know if they replace your TCU under warranty or if they refund you your 176 bucks. Thanks!
[snapback]110536[/snapback]
[/quote]

So it now sounds like I can get BT to work on my 3/04 build 530i by changing the TCU (not sure what this is) for $700 and updating the software for $179. Can someone please confirem this is correctbefore my dealer tells me AGAIN ! that it's not possible. Thanks
Old 04-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

So it now sounds like I can get BT to work on my 3/04 build 530i by changing the TCU (not sure what this is) for $700 and updating the software for $179. Can someone please confirem this is correctbefore my dealer tells me AGAIN ! that it's not possible.? Thanks
[snapback]110590[/snapback]
I can't confirm your price but I can confirm you can have BT enabled with a new TCU (and software update and VO software change). Check my signature for BT details - tells you all you'll need to know with a pre 03/04 build.

I believe TCU's are "normally" $1800 list - guys getting them for $1000-$1200 ish, the software is free, one to two hours shop time (although coding normally takes overnight at many dealers).

Good luck - BT is fantastic.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Members

Newbie - the only complication to your scenario that I have heard/read is if you don't have BMW assist. In that case your car may not have the overhead mic and other wiring, which I think is what gets you to a $1700 install price. If you have that, it should only be $500 - $700 for the TCU (Telematics Control Unit) and <200 for labor. I was quoted over email from a CA BMW dealer about $500 for the TCU so I think at most anyone should pay is $700 unless you don't have BMW assist.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Members

Thank you for the information. I'll give it a try tomorrow when I bring the car in to my dealer to have two recalls performed. I'll get back to you with a report.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth works on pre-03/04 build car