Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth support - do I have it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Hi there.

My new-to-me car was delivered in Canada in Mar 04. I don't know the manufacturing date. I've had it about a week.

The iDrive menus make no mention of BT but there is a card in the documentation package that came with the car that refers to the "Bluetooth Passkey PK".

So, does the car have BT? Do I have to have it enabled by the dealer?

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by rmcd' date='Sep 14 2005, 10:15 PM
Hi there.

My new-to-me car was delivered in Canada in Mar 04. I don't know the manufacturing date. I've had it about a week.

The iDrive menus make no mention of BT but there is a card in the documentation package that came with the car that refers to the "Bluetooth Passkey PK".

Thanks.
[snapback]170764[/snapback]
The software in your car will have to be at least version 13.2 for BT to work with a compatible TCU. Once a software update is complete, the BT feature will have to be activated within the software by your dealer.

If the car was delivered in March 04 my bet is that you will need to replace the TCU to have BT available to you in the car. The older vehicles (pre March 04 production) had a TCU that was incompatible with both BT and Assist. My car rolled of the line on March 1, 2004 and had the old version of the TCU installed. The updated versions went into production after about the first week of March from what I have been able to determine.

Given your build date, a replacement TCU will cost anywhere between $1500 and $2250 depending upon the deal your dealer will give you. You will not be able to install a cradle for your BT phone as the wiring harness will not match up with the cradle (speaking from experience).

Your other option would be the CPT 9000 BMW/Moto phone. AFAIK, this combo will work with your TCU and with a cradle and may be less expensive overall than going the BT route. It depends how important the BT feature is to you.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ademitt' date='Sep 15 2005, 09:41 AM
[quote name='rmcd' date='Sep 14 2005, 10:15 PM']Hi there.

Thanks.
[snapback]170764[/snapback]
The software in your car will have to be at least version 13.2 for BT to work with a compatible TCU. Once a software update is complete, the BT feature will have to be activated within the software by your dealer.

If the car was delivered in March 04 my bet is that you will need to replace the TCU to have BT available to you in the car. The older vehicles (pre March 04 production) had a TCU that was incompatible with both BT and Assist. My car rolled of the line on March 1, 2004 and had the old version of the TCU installed. The updated versions went into production after about the first week of March from what I have been able to determine.

Given your build date, a replacement TCU will cost anywhere between $1500 and $2250 depending upon the deal your dealer will give you. You will not be able to install a cradle for your BT phone as the wiring harness will not match up with the cradle (speaking from experience).

Your other option would be the CPT 9000 BMW/Moto phone. AFAIK, this combo will work with your TCU and with a cradle and may be less expensive overall than going the BT route. It depends how important the BT feature is to you.
[snapback]170875[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks very much for the information.

But I wonder what the card with the BT Passcode PK is for?

Cheers.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

It serves no use whatsoever. It has caused a tremendous amount of confusion and little else. If you want to pair a BT Phone with your car, you make up you own passcode. The one on the paper will not work.

If you want to try to pair a BT phone to your car after the SW is activated, you can test the system to see if you require a new TCU. Several members in the States who had late Feb 04 production dates were actually lucky enough to be able to get BT to work without changing the TCU if i recall correctly.

Get the software for BT activated, find someone with a BT phone and pair it with the car, takes no more than a minute, maybe your dealer can try it out for you. If you can call out and, most importantly, they can hear you, you are in business. If they cannot hear you, the TCU will need to be replaced.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ademitt' date='Sep 15 2005, 12:59 PM
It serves no use whatsoever.? It has caused a tremendous amount of confusion and little else.? If you want to pair a BT Phone with your car, you make up you own passcode.? The one on the paper will not work.

If you want to try to pair a BT phone to your car after the SW is activated, you can test the system to see if you require a new TCU.? Several members in the States who had late Feb 04 production dates were actually lucky enough to be able to get BT to work without changing the TCU if i recall correctly.?

Get the software for BT activated, find someone with a BT phone and pair it with the car, takes no more than a minute, maybe your dealer can try it out for you.? If you can call out and, most importantly, they can hear you, you are in business.? If they cannot hear you, the TCU will need to be replaced.
[snapback]170947[/snapback]
Good stuff. Thanks. I'll let you know what the dealer says.